Scratchplate ideas? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Scratchplate ideas?

Anyone know any place (preferablr Australia) where i can get a white pearl plate to replace my white one on my 7BSL ? or any type of plate ? thanks ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-01-2004, 09:03 PM

replacement pickguard

They are not in Australia, but EKG Custom Shop is a featured vendor on Jemsite. They have the white pearloid pickguard you're looking for (as well as a couple dozen others). I have heard nothing but good things about them. Here is a link:

http://www.ekgguitars.com/options.htm
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for that i checked them out and i will look into getting one shipped over , it sucks bieng on a island that has nothing.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 AM

Hi,

I've also got a Blue Jem and was planning on putting a pearl scratchplate on it, but I know a very talented chap who can make scratchplates.

This lead me to thinking that I should get something a bit more unique... any thoughts on what would go nicely with the blue sparkle?

Cheers

John P.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemongrass
any thoughts on what would go nicely with the blue sparkle?
Brushed silver.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 11:39 AM

pearl with some kinda blue shine to it would look cool
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

rg

i have a rg2550ex with the mirror style that im thinking of putting on the blue jem , that may look cool . i keep ya posted.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 03:27 AM

While we're talking about pickguards, this brings a question to mind. If I were to change the pickguard on my SBL with pickguard mounted pups, how tricky or involved would it be to switch to direct-mounted pups?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 05:22 AM Thread Starter

what differance does it make ? sorry to show my ignorance? most of my guitars are floating i think.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-03-2004, 09:51 AM

Hi,

I'm leaning towards a metal perhaps chrome/mirror finish.

I'd be very interested to see any pics that people have of blue jems with different scratchplates.

Has anyone use a uk firm called precious metals they do some intersting metal scratchplates - I quite like these:

http://www.preciousmetalproducts.co....20speckled.jpg

http://www.preciousmetalproducts.co.uk/images/FOIL1.jpg

http://www.preciousmetalproducts.co....%20set%201.jpg

Cheers
John P.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

The first one has got me thinking about that now that would look cool on sparkle blue , em
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2004, 12:12 PM

Reviews: 1
ya that does look cool, i might look into you for my sbl
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezial
what differance does it make ? sorry to show my ignorance? most of my guitars are floating i think.
Since no one has addressed your question in the 10 days since you asked . . .

Some people think that direct mount gives you better tone . . . they believe that if the pups are directly screwed to the wood it transfers tone better (this is a myth since no tone from the wood is transferred to magnetic pups, except through the strings themselves).

Some people think that this makes the pups more stable, since they aren't suspended from springs, hence; no pup movement. This is a valid point and if you use VERY high gain it can help with feedback, BUT, I've tried both, and yes this was on the same guitar and noticed NO CHANGE IN TONE and since I don't play with 'crazy' high gain, feedback is not a problem for me.

Then there are people that think direct mount pups just look better than pickup-rings/pickguards. That's just a matter of taste. :-)

That about cover it?

Mic
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

thanks for answering the question , i didnt think it would do much , i have read about metal scratchplates making the tone different however but i dont have any experience of these as of yet. thanks for taking the time to reply .
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 08:29 PM

I like that first one too, I just got my VSBL and I really can't stand that white pickguard. Good to see I'm not alone!

Tim

Tags
custom shop , ekg guitars , pearloid pickguard , white pearloid pickguard , white pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode