Searching..??!? Thank you - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Searching..??!? Thank you

Hello, I joined this site in hopes of possibly finding my long lost jem. I am now 44yrs old and I graduated high school in 93. I was a deeply infatuated guitarist since the age of 11. My mother ordered me my dream guitar for a graduation present. An Ibanez jem77pmc. I actually remember going down to thourobred music in Tampa Florida and choosing one of 3 brand new in the box! The one I chose had the most gorgeous swirl combo. I owned this guitar for about 15years or more. Was always babied and in original case. I was later in need of money and couldn’t find anyone who wanted it. The popular thing was Ibanez in flat black or more metal looking. Horrifically.. I actually sanded it down and painted the body. Sold it on eBay to the confusion of a few people that saw it asking if it really WAS a true jempmc?? It sold for around 5-600 if I remember. I now am in sickness to what I did.. and see the value of course in such a rare guitar I owned. Does anyone know of this guitars whereabouts?? Thank you so much for reading.
Sincerely,
Brian Townsend.
lordhar and peromucho7 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Searching..??!? Thank you

I’ll have to do some digging but...

I am sure that someone here bought a PMC that had been stripped and swirled it themselves.

Anyone remember the same story I’m remembering?
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 06:24 PM
Vendor

Wrong guitar.

The way I remember the story you took it into a couple stores to try and sell it to them and they are told you there was no way you'd be able to sell that ugly thing [obviously real swirls guys] so you took it home, used a hammer to beat all the clearcoat and swirl off and then sprayed it with charcoal Krylon primer.

If that sounds more like it I own it.
lordhar and aesthyrian like this.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 02:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Wrong guitar.

The way I remember the story you took it into a couple stores to try and sell it to them and they are told you there was no way you'd be able to sell that ugly thing [obviously real swirls guys] so you took it home, used a hammer to beat all the clearcoat and swirl off and then sprayed it with charcoal Krylon primer.

If that sounds more like it I own it.
And they say lightning never strikes twice!
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

O. MY GOD......

..the feeling I got when I read that cannot be put into words. Literally chills came over my body,
hair standing on my arms.. utterly in shock .
Was like WHATT!!!!!!??! I screamed outloud ‘HOLY ****!”

To read,someone on the internet.. explaining something from 20 years ago, only Me and the guy I sold to on eBay knew... was seriosuly the most amazing **** I’ve ever experienced. One of the craziest moments of my life! There’s NO doubt that’s my guitar.
Was explaining to my wife..my flip out lol.. first off.. what are the chances of someone else!?stripping and painting an original jem77pmc, That color..
then reading the story I told.. verbatim.
For the past 20years It has been eating at me.. deeply. the regret. Not only the sentimental value.. but the added sick feeling of destroying and losing something that was a part of my history and who I am. that they only made 250.. ever. Uhg. It was horrible. I always thought about.. what if I could actually find the person who possibly has this guitar now?? What if MY jem is somewhere out there? This is absolutely amazing. Amazing. I seriously figured there was maybe a 1% chance in finding that guitar. The feeling I had reading that response, from some person I didn’t know.. insane! Like I said, NOT a DOUBT. When words chill right through your whole body! Words I only told one other person.. so damn long ago.. I was still in the Air Force! So it was maybe 1999?!
Hearing about the clearcoat! It was almost an inch thick! Took me DAYS to get through that painful process. Chiseling with a hammer.. uh.
I lived in ft.walton beach, Florida at the time of this.
I could barely fall asleep last night. When I get out of work.. I’m going to search for pics I can hopefully find in all my crap at home. And I will post.
I have felt the power of the internet! And this truly amazing Jemsite and the community. Thank you 🙏

Brian
lordhar, peromucho7 and aesthyrian like this.
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Wow, great story!
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 03:50 PM
Vendor

I was the one that bought it on ebay, it's a story that's hard to forget.
aesthyrian likes this.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was the one that bought it on ebay, it's a story that's hard to forget.
Yeh tell me about it..😣
About 20 years of wtf did I do...
So.. how u been !? Lol
been a minute huh?!
My god This is total craziness...
I would have never thought I’d find it.. no less the person I sold it to, still having it!

My god this is crazy.
Like I said man I’m gonna see what pics I can dig up.. you have to share some history with me!! Did you restore or change it? I pmed u my email.
Another thing I just found out is the guy ‘Darren Johansen who swirled all the PMCs .. including mine..is alive and living in pensicola Florida!?! So.. the music store in Pensicola Florida “blues angel music” was where I frequented, and took the Jem.. to see what he would offer!? In original mint condition.. the owner was the one who told me it was too dated and 80’s and I would have a hard time getting much for it. He most likely KNEW Darren!! I think he painted some of there boutique custom pedals! Complete craziness.
I tried to find my old eBay info in my email.. but my damn email doesn’t seem to even go back that far ! Lol
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-23-2020, 10:54 PM

Reviews: 12
Cool Re: Searching..??!? Thank you

I just put up a similar thread...Awesome story!
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 01:02 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian777 View Post
Yeh tell me about it..😣
About 20 years of wtf did I do...
So.. how u been !? Lol
been a minute huh?!
My god This is total craziness...
I would have never thought I’d find it.. no less the person I sold it to, still having it!

My god this is crazy.
Like I said man I’m gonna see what pics I can dig up.. you have to share some history with me!! Did you restore or change it? I pmed u my email.
Another thing I just found out is the guy ‘Darren Johansen who swirled all the PMCs .. including mine..is alive and living in pensicola Florida!?! So.. the music store in Pensicola Florida “blues angel music” was where I frequented, and took the Jem.. to see what he would offer!? In original mint condition.. the owner was the one who told me it was too dated and 80’s and I would have a hard time getting much for it. He most likely KNEW Darren!! I think he painted some of there boutique custom pedals! Complete craziness.
I tried to find my old eBay info in my email.. but my damn email doesn’t seem to even go back that far ! Lol
I got most of the Krylon worked off before I kinda gave up on it, the whole surface needed to be leveled to get all the little marks out of it before it could be reswirled. The pickups you took a black sharpie to, and I think you did the pink in the inlays also [unless I'm confusing it with another]. I still have everything except I have a better neck for it, whenever I get around to having Darren do the swirl for it again. I have new old stock pickups I saved just for this guitar, now all I need is another 20 years to finish the project.
jono and aesthyrian like this.
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator

Talking Re: Searching..??!? Thank you

Quote:
I got most of the Krylon worked off before I kinda gave up on it, the whole surface needed to be leveled to get all the little marks out of it before it could be reswirled. The pickups you took a black sharpie to, and I think you did the pink in the inlays also [unless I'm confusing it with another]. I still have everything except I have a better neck for it, whenever I get around to having Darren do the swirl for it again. I have new old stock pickups I saved just for this guitar, now all I need is another 20 years to finish the project.
AMAZING!!!

This is going to be just like where Vin Diesel and Paul Walker restore the wrecked Supra in the original The Fast and The Furious.
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 03:19 AM
Vendor

Now that Paul died it'll probably take as long too
DEADTUNES666 and aesthyrian like this.
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-24-2020, 10:15 PM

So Rich, is there a chance for this guy to buy back the guitar?
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-25-2020, 12:17 AM
Vendor

Well, Brian never asked

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode