Seeking Info on Late 80s JEM777SK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By AdAstraJoe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Seeking Info on Late 80s JEM777SK

Hello everyone! I had inherited a guitar from a cousin who passed a few years ago that was shockingly pink and featured a carrying handle. At the time, I thought nothing of it and stowed it away in a light gig bag in my guitar room (which is temp and humidity maintained).

Flash forward to now and I was cleaning some things out that I no longer use to make room for a new acoustic. I came across the guitar again and decided to look into what it was all about (it isn't sentimental to me in that way). What I have since found is a litany of sites, posts, ads, and information for what I now believe (based on what I've read) is an Ibanez JEM from the late 80s, model JEM777SK.

With that being said, local guitar shops are less than helpful at helping me in my research and often do their darndest to point out things like "The fretboard is dirty" or "The back plate is difficult to read." So, I found this website in hopes that people that are passionate about these kinds of guitars could help out or at least confirm (or deny) my thoughts on the guitar.

I've played guitar for many years now, but this is so far out of my wheelhouse that I would be a fool for not asking for support with this thing. First time posting so please let me know if I need more images or better shots or anything!

Thanks!

Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_091652_1560173575298.jpg (2.25 MB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091703_1560173587210.jpg (2.16 MB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091712_1560173599592.jpg (2.50 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091730_1560173611900.jpg (2.12 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091822_1560173635169.jpg (1.99 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091846_1560173646204.jpg (2.17 MB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_091914_1560173668903.jpg (2.11 MB, 32 views)
FireEagle likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 09:46 AM

Re: Seeking Info on Late 80s JEM777SK

Sorry to hear bout your cousin, but he left you an awesome guitar. I cant tell how much its worth (someone here will) but its definitely worth some decent coin. Sounds like the guitar shop you took it too are trying to rip you off... I wouldn't go near them again.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAstraJoe View Post
Hello everyone! I had inherited a guitar from a cousin who passed a few years ago that was shockingly pink and featured a carrying handle. At the time, I thought nothing of it and stowed it away in a light gig bag in my guitar room (which is temp and humidity maintained).

Flash forward to now and I was cleaning some things out that I no longer use to make room for a new acoustic. I came across the guitar again and decided to look into what it was all about (it isn't sentimental to me in that way). What I have since found is a litany of sites, posts, ads, and information for what I now believe (based on what I've read) is an Ibanez JEM from the late 80s, model JEM777SK.

With that being said, local guitar shops are less than helpful at helping me in my research and often do their darndest to point out things like "The fretboard is dirty" or "The back plate is difficult to read." So, I found this website in hopes that people that are passionate about these kinds of guitars could help out or at least confirm (or deny) my thoughts on the guitar.

I've played guitar for many years now, but this is so far out of my wheelhouse that I would be a fool for not asking for support with this thing. First time posting so please let me know if I need more images or better shots or anything!

Thanks!

Joe
Looks real, a nice example. They're pretty valuable. Best trick to get an idea of pricing is look for completed / sold auction lots on E - Bay. Lots of people lists these sort of rarer instruments for crazy prices that don't reflect the real value. Actual ones that sold in your country will give you a better idea of price.

Then just try to compare the condition to those that sold. Things to watch out for on these ones are thin paint cracks around the neck joint and behind the nut. Some of the early ones sometimes the finish fades a little too. Trem and neckplate can tarnish with age. Otherwise it's the usual things to look for on an old guitar. Fret wear, is the neck straight etc..

It looks pretty decent from the photos.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Sorry to hear bout your cousin, but he left you an awesome guitar. I cant tell how much its worth (someone here will) but its definitely worth some decent coin. Sounds like the guitar shop you took it too are trying to rip you off... I wouldn't go near them again.
Thank you! I appreciate the response and I agree, I'll probably pass on going by them again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:44 PM

If i thought my cousin would leave me anything that cool I would kill him.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibaraki_gaijin View Post
Looks real, a nice example. They're pretty valuable. Best trick to get an idea of pricing is look for completed / sold auction lots on E - Bay. Lots of people lists these sort of rarer instruments for crazy prices that don't reflect the real value. Actual ones that sold in your country will give you a better idea of price.

Then just try to compare the condition to those that sold. Things to watch out for on these ones are thin paint cracks around the neck joint and behind the nut. Some of the early ones sometimes the finish fades a little too. Trem and neckplate can tarnish with age. Otherwise it's the usual things to look for on an old guitar. Fret wear, is the neck straight etc..

It looks pretty decent from the photos.
Thanks for the reply! Do you have any suggestions on where to sell? Does this forum have a marketplace that seems worthwhile? Or should I try eBay (never shipped a guitar before)? Some recent sells on eBay (in April of this year) were upwards of $3k - even with missing backplate, chips, and tarnished backplate. Is that normal? Or exceptional? There aren't many other options that I have found.

Thank you for the pointers! I've checked those spots and found a small hairline crack in the paint near the neck and a chip on the base of the guitar no larger than 1mm x 2.5mm.

I really appreciate you all responding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190610_154726_1560196502664.jpg (1.99 MB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 20190610_154747_1560196513091.jpg (1.96 MB, 28 views)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:40 AM

Dont worry about the hair line crack. Just about all Ibanez guitars have that.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchie View Post
Dont worry about the hair line crack. Just about all Ibanez guitars have that.
Yep, judging buy the photo a neck pocket crack that big is no problem. Hard to find an Ibanez that age without one. Most likely it's in the paint only not the actual wood.

There is a classified section of this site.
Otherwise it's Reverb or eBay...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode