Seemingly getting worse.. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM

Re: Seemingly getting worse..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe View Post
all the things they said, plus check the height of your pickups...
height is very important and for many is overlooked and not noticed.

If your pups are too high, while on the clean channel when you pick hard you'll get a slight muddy distorted sound called and reffered to as 'wolftone"

you want the pupas slanted a bit, higher on the thinner strings so the pup can pick up the quieter sound. and lower on the thicker strings so that it doesn't get muddy when strumming chords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:31 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma_Ann's_man View Post
Well I didn't really like the flat neck personally, and other specs on the jem compared to my PRS. the tone wasn't really something I was amazed about either. My PRS has a wide fat neck and is comfortable. I had issues with the white one I've owned before, and it wasn't because of the floating trem. the paint seemed so cheap, and it was obvious many people played with it, and I got tired of paying 40 bucks each month to have it constantly setup playing perfectly. However I didn't like the sustain of the jem. My PRS, having a stoptail had more sustain, and a thicker tone and not bright and plinky sounding, and it was to die for. Sure I use my jem as a backup. I do not believe jems are the best guitars out there. but that is just my personal taste.

I don't use the floyd at all.
I didn't like having to pay everytime strings cahnge. however having an old RG a while back ago over the years I was taught by my Ibanez dealer how to set guitars up. I just don't feel like taking 20 mins mininumun to have a guitar playing perfectly, along with adjusting the springs if one day I feel like using 11's ansd one day using 12's or 10's. Besides the floatinf trem cannot handle 12's at all, its too much for the jem to handle unless the tremolo is blocked.

I just like to change the string once well setup so I don't have to worry much. i always change my strings at least once a month. sometimes more.

My current blue jem has a blocked trem and I love it now because I'm free ferom the tuning hassles and longer string changes. and if I break a sring on stage I won't get the bhell way out of tune.

and the sustain with the blocked trem is amazing.
Then why get a Jem in the first place, it just seems to me like you have no reason for owning such an expensive super strat to start off. Back up guitars should be 550`s and such, not an expensive guitar. Again that`s personal and i don`t know how much money you have to throw around at guitars. My jem`s have more sustain than any of my hardtails or my gibson. I love my gibson too, but it`s just not modern enough to handle all of my desires. I just keep it around for classic rock, bluesy hard rock tone and the occaisional rhythm track, ahogany has a solid tone for rhythm anyways. And as far as tuning goes, i don`t see what you mean. My guitar will stay in tune for six months with fine tune adjustments every week or so maybe. And believe, i give that trem 2 hours of chaos every day. My Gibson gets out of tune after a few songs. And it`s only off by a few cents. I am probably more anal about the tuning of my axes than you are. Anyways, it`s up to you which you like betterm but your points seem ill supported. On another note, a floating trem can take 12`s lol. Ever heard of the springs behind the guitar ? Yeah , you need to tighten those when you add more string tension.

I know there is more work on floating trems but i love what i do and i respect y music enough to give it a good clean hour of work on my axe every once in a while. And if my axe stays in tune for 4-6 months without any further adjustments than the fine tuners, than i think the ratio flat out kills anything a stop tail guitar could survive with the amount of abuse my instruments are subjected to. I mean, it seems simple enough to me 1 hr/6 months in tune.

Anyways good faring to you bro, but you should really open yourself to trems otherwise your jem is a useless pawn to your rig. You said you don`t much care for it`s tone or like the neck profile, so what`s left after that

think about it!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
Then why get a Jem in the first place, it just seems to me like you have no reason for owning such an expensive super strat to start off. Back up guitars should be 550`s and such, not an expensive guitar. Again that`s personal and i don`t know how much money you have to throw around at guitars. My jem`s have more sustain than any of my hardtails or my gibson. I love my gibson too, but it`s just not modern enough to handle all of my desires. I just keep it around for classic rock, bluesy hard rock tone and the occaisional rhythm track, ahogany has a solid tone for rhythm anyways. And as far as tuning goes, i don`t see what you mean. My guitar will stay in tune for six months with fine tune adjustments every week or so maybe. And believe, i give that trem 2 hours of chaos every day. My Gibson gets out of tune after a few songs. And it`s only off by a few cents. I am probably more anal about the tuning of my axes than you are. Anyways, it`s up to you which you like betterm but your points seem ill supported. On another note, a floating trem can take 12`s lol. Ever heard of the springs behind the guitar ? Yeah , you need to tighten those when you add more string tension.

I know there is more work on floating trems but i love what i do and i respect y music enough to give it a good clean hour of work on my axe every once in a while. And if my axe stays in tune for 4-6 months without any further adjustments than the fine tuners, than i think the ratio flat out kills anything a stop tail guitar could survive with the amount of abuse my instruments are subjected to. I mean, it seems simple enough to me 1 hr/6 months in tune.

Anyways good faring to you bro, but you should really open yourself to trems otherwise your jem is a useless pawn to your rig. You said you don`t much care for it`s tone or like the neck profile, so what`s left after that

think about it!
I just don't use trems at all haha.

I used to a while back ago but not anymore. when you're using an accrate tuner like a Perterson strober stomp, a slight useage of the bar (even well well setup) will get ya out of tune. I know a jem can handle 12's I had it setup once by the best tech in town and the tension was too much for the neck, as so said by my tech and he said unless you're using drop tunings using 12's on a floating trem guitar is pointless. I didn't feel as good as having 12's on my PRS.

I rather work on my technique than do alot of closet ****age.

back when I got the jem, I must admit I liked the look if it, (that was when I was still a noob and didn't know much) but the main thing that I hated was the thin flat neck. I like fat necks personally.

sure alot love jems, I just prefer my PRS.
I like it nice and simple yet versatile. I disliked the nmddle pup in the jem as well. not that it got in my way, I just don't use it at all, and I didn't need tall the extra stuff like a trem. I like it clean and simple.

my PRS has coil tapping, splitting the humbuckers on my PRS into single. Nopt quite sounding like a strat nor a gibson, but a nice balance in between.

when I first played PRS guitars I was like "what's special with these?" until I picked up mmy McCarty model and knew I had to get it.

the genre you play is probably different from mine, I don't see any use for me to use trems like I used to.
I prefer the sustain on a stoptail. if you're using a ridiculous amount of gain like vai, no one would really be able to tell the difference in sustain with that muxch gain.

but here's to everyone and their own.

btw the trem on my jem is currently nlocked, so I don't have the tuning and trem hassles anymmore, even with an accurate tuner like a peterson.

Last edited by Jemma_Ann's_man; 02-27-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: addition
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 08:58 PM

I've never gotten anything but pure undiluted happiness out of the pickups in MY 7VWH

jim
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 PM

Jim your a show off !
Thats a nice looking Jem.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemma_Ann's_man View Post
I just don't use trems at all haha.

I used to a while back ago but not anymore. when you're using an accrate tuner like a Perterson strober stomp, a slight useage of the bar (even well well setup) will get ya out of tune. I know a jem can handle 12's I had it setup once by the best tech in town and the tension was too much for the neck, as so said by my tech and he said unless you're using drop tunings using 12's on a floating trem guitar is pointless. I didn't feel as good as having 12's on my PRS.

I rather work on my technique than do alot of closet ****age.

back when I got the jem, I must admit I liked the look if it, (that was when I was still a noob and didn't know much) but the main thing that I hated was the thin flat neck. I like fat necks personally.

sure alot love jems, I just prefer my PRS.
I like it nice and simple yet versatile. I disliked the nmddle pup in the jem as well. not that it got in my way, I just don't use it at all, and I didn't need tall the extra stuff like a trem. I like it clean and simple.

my PRS has coil tapping, splitting the humbuckers on my PRS into single. Nopt quite sounding like a strat nor a gibson, but a nice balance in between.

when I first played PRS guitars I was like "what's special with these?" until I picked up mmy McCarty model and knew I had to get it.

the genre you play is probably different from mine, I don't see any use for me to use trems like I used to.
I prefer the sustain on a stoptail. if you're using a ridiculous amount of gain like vai, no one would really be able to tell the difference in sustain with that muxch gain.

but here's to everyone and their own.

btw the trem on my jem is currently nlocked, so I don't have the tuning and trem hassles anymmore, even with an accurate tuner like a peterson.
Thanks for the insight bro. And you`re right, different strokes for different folks. I love all my guitars and that is why i chose them. I got my les Paul on my lap and im about to tear her up. P.S. i seriously increased sustain and tuning stability by adding the L6 Gibson stop tail. It`s got fine tuners and it`s got a wicked deeper tone too, i believe the extra mass helps a lot. I love my axes and you love yours, the rest is the notes you fret or don`t So let`s raise our glasses to Rock!

Nuff said
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I've never gotten anything but pure undiluted happiness out of the pickups in MY 7VWH

jim
Wow! Very nice, did they drop right in or did you have to mod the scratchplate?

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pickups , coil tap , coil tapping , floating trems , guitar playing , guitar tech , ibanez dealer , les paul , les pauls , maple neck , mesa triple rectifier , neck pickup , pinch harmonics , prs guitar , prs guitars , prs mccarty , steve vai , string tension , super strat , trem guitar , triple rectifier , tube amp , tube amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

is a mexican fender strat worse than an american one

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode