To sell or not to sell (JS1000)... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
To sell or not to sell (JS1000)...

Hey folks!

I really need your thought's on this one...

I'm considering selling my beloved Ibanez JS1000. She was a gift from my folks years ago when I was a Joe fanatic (still am up to a point). My fingers have developed on that neck! lol...

Normally I wound't even consider selling her but lately (1and a half year) I find my self wanting different sounds than just Joe's signature tone. I mean it's perfect when I play Surfing with the Alien but when I do my own thing I just need something different! I have grown fond of Les Paul type guitars but I won't be making that step towards Gibson since I know that after the JS1000 neck, any Gib would probably feel like a vaccum cleaner! i really like the idea of an ART500E or a ARZ800. They both have great reviews on the net and carry what I like on a guitar. Above all I really like the fact that their neck profile is, overall, just 1mm bigger than the JS1000 neck and the radius is 12" which I'm comfortable with (as long as it isn't a completely flat radius neck I'm good to go!).

The difficult part is letting my JS1000 go....It's a magnificent instrument but the Edge Pro on it really destroys everything! I don't wanna sound like I think too much of myself but my ears are extremely sensitive to tunnings and even the slight drop/raise annoys me and stands between me and the guitar. I just don't feel like I can bond with it anymore! I have taken her to techs all over the place but it's just keeps on messing around...I remember when this guitar was a beast at tuning stability but then again maybe I was deaf back then to hear it.

I do realize that the JS and the ART500E/ARZ800 are completely different feature-wise and price-wise but what do you think??? Personally I think that Ibanez makes great guitars from $600 to $2000 and never fails at delivering comfortable neck profiles....but what do you say??

I really need your thoughts on this one guys!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 08:51 AM

Reviews: 4
Re: To sell or not to sell (JS1000)...

How old is it? The knife edges and trem posts will get worn out over time and the guitar will develop tuning stability issues.Rich has a section on his website in the tech section about it.Also, if it has the 2le2b trem posts(set screw in the middle) make sure to check them every now and then to make sure it stays tight. A lot of techs don't know about the set screws on the older ibanez guitars and if they adjust the trem posts and don't lock the set screw down, that WILL case "returing to pitch" issues. Also, satch's tech uses/used chap stick where the knife edge and the trem post meet to help cut down on friction.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2556 View Post
How old is it? The knife edges and trem posts will get worn out over time and the guitar will develop tuning stability issues.Rich has a section on his website in the tech section about it.Also, if it has the 2le2b trem posts(set screw in the middle) make sure to check them every now and then to make sure it stays tight. A lot of techs don't know about the set screws on the older ibanez guitars and if they adjust the trem posts and don't lock the set screw down, that WILL case "returing to pitch" issues. Also, satch's tech uses/used chap stick where the knife edge and the trem post meet to help cut down on friction.

Well the guitar really aint that old...even so I checked the Ibanezrulez site when the problems started (or when I started noticing them) and went to techs all over the place checking every single thing he said...but still nothing! The knife edges are great and my studs even though they are not locking, are super tight . It has really frustraded me for the last year and it really feels like this guitar (even though I love it and is super comfy to play) isn't worth alla that money and I really can't connect. I have thought about changing the Edge Pro with an Edge (my brother has it and it's a monster) but I really can't afford one and haven't been able to afford one for quite a while. Plus it's my only guitar so it's not like "let it be as it is and use another one until you can afford an Edge"
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Reviews: 21

Nothing wrong with wanting something different. If it's time to let the JS go then it's time.
I'd suggest selling something else or finding the means another way - maybe you can keep both. It's great having options.
It sounds like you want something fixed bridge that really sings out. An LP definitely fits the bill. Lots of similar guitars would be a good choice too. I'm not a huge fan of the LP but I've been GASing for an ICT700 for a while as it seems like an LP / RG hybrid of sorts. I could probably sell a guitar to get one but I've already thinned the herd as far as I'll go I think; so yeah, tough choice giving up a guitar you love over a guitar you want.
Good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting something different. If it's time to let the JS go then it's time.
I'd suggest selling something else or finding the means another way - maybe you can keep both. It's great having options.
It sounds like you want something fixed bridge that really sings out. An LP definitely fits the bill. Lots of similar guitars would be a good choice too. I'm not a huge fan of the LP but I've been GASing for an ICT700 for a while as it seems like an LP / RG hybrid of sorts. I could probably sell a guitar to get one but I've already thinned the herd as far as I'll go I think; so yeah, tough choice giving up a guitar you love over a guitar you want.
Good luck!
Yeah it's hard to loose the JS...but what I definately know is that when I like a guitar I only play with that one. I was never the "5 guitars" guy that grabs a different guitar every day. If I want and like something I stick with it...but still...it's a tough one! The truth is I really want that Ibanez singlecut and the JS1000 really doesn't satisfy my except for when I'm playing Satch songs...but it's been a dear guitar 4 years now and I've written lots of good music on it...but still...aaaaaaargh!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:09 PM

Reviews: 3

You sound too conflicted to make the decision right away. Play a bunch of single cutaway, fixed bridge guitars. Play a bunch of different guitars period. Try to find a deal on one or save up a bit so you can keep the JS too, as you seem to have some attachment to it. If it continues to bother you, go ahead and find the JS a good home here on Jemsite!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 04:36 AM

I'm a big JS fan, and while enjoying mine have looked elsewhere for variations in feel and tone. I'm a dedicated Ibanez fan, and started looking at the 540 series - the original top of the line Ibanez guitars first made in 1987. There were essentially three designs: Sabre, Power and Radius. These are affordable, high quality second hand instruments which you could look into getting, and at that price, modifying.

This may be an idiotic statement, but did you check for wear on the nut pressure pads?
Also, that locking stud mod on Rich's site is well worth the effort.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by II Hamish II View Post
I'm a big JS fan, and while enjoying mine have looked elsewhere for variations in feel and tone. I'm a dedicated Ibanez fan, and started looking at the 540 series - the original top of the line Ibanez guitars first made in 1987. There were essentially three designs: Sabre, Power and Radius. These are affordable, high quality second hand instruments which you could look into getting, and at that price, modifying.

This may be an idiotic statement, but did you check for wear on the nut pressure pads?
Also, that locking stud mod on Rich's site is well worth the effort.

Ditto for me: I have 3 JS's 2 of which I'll never sell, but I too wanted a change. I'm also a die hard Ibanez fan and after buying a PGM and then a Radius I ended up trying Musicman guitars. My teacher is an endorsee so I got to play out pretty much the entire range before buying and now have 2, with serious GAS for a 3rd. Although expensive, in my opinion they are seriously, seriously good guitars and well worth a look, especially if you buy 2nd hand. Unsurprisingly the necks on the Petrucci models fit like a glove after 20 years of playing an Ibanez...not as beefy as a JS neck, but not far off. Some of the necks on the other models are pretty chunky, but after several years on a JS I found the transition pretty comfortable.....

Just a thought

Tags
art , arz , ibanez , js1000

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode