To sell or not to sell? - That is the question... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

To sell or not to sell? - That is the question...

At this moment I am at one of life's crossroads. I have a Jem7d and a Jem10 but I have no amp as such to play them through! I realise that this is fu**ing ridiculous and I intend to do something drastic about it.

Should I sell my 7d so I can buy a legacy half stack?

The problem is I am an impoverished student about to head back to university so I donít have enough ready cash to pick up a sweet valve amp suitable for gigging immediately. It would be at least six months before I would be able to save the cash without selling anything.

As far as I can see here are the pros and cons of selling the 7d:

Pros:
i) I can buy the Legacy immediately.
ii) I can gig again in pubic without the shame(*)

Cons:
i) The 7d was my first jem.
ii) Plays better than any other 7d's Iíve played.
iii) If I sold it I would have to use the jem10 and I might scratch it!!! It is #17 and is in 10/10 condition. As a result I have developed a phobia of playing it for prolonged durations. (30secs...)

There are the arguments.

What do you think?

(*) Significant shame is to be had playing Jems in public through a Boss Metal Zone into a Vantage 20 watt amp of crap into a PA. I have repeatedly tried to give the amp away or free on the Jemsite.( The Forbidden Post of Mystery )At one stage I was offered a Toasted ham and cheese sandwich for it. When I accepted it transpired the offer was alas, only in jestÖ

(Edited by jem10 at 6:44 pm on Aug. 3, 2001)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:48 PM

To sell or not to sell?

If you are never going to play the 10 I would sell that and enjoy the amp plus whatever else you could get for the money. *But, if I had a ten and a Dbk and I HAD to lose one of them, I'd lose the dbk, and bite the bullet and play the heck out of the 10. Inevitably it will wear, and lose the chrome on the pups etc, but think of the fun you'd have playing out with it.
I know your dilemma cause I've got a DNA which I don't use regularly for the same neurotic reasons, but I WILL play it soon. I do believe these things should be enjoyed.

Guy
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:52 PM

To sell or not to sell?

if you want to sell the the 10th, i will barter with you. i have a some good heads and some cash
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 06:58 PM

To sell or not to sell?

Parting with the 7D is definitely an option, but what about a cheapo amp, until you can afford the half stack? Tech21 makes a cool 10 watt'r...just a thought.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:32 PM

To sell or not to sell?

I'd sell the 7D and play the hell outta the 10.

I wouldn't bother with a Legacy, for the cost over here you can grab a much better second hand amp (unless you really like the Legacy that is, and to be honest I've only ever seen 1 second hand Legacy in the U.K.)

Take a listen to some British amps (being that you live in Ireland, shipping would at least be less)

Cornford are mouthwatering, having heard the MK50 Head and the Harlequin also (played by non-other than our fave tech - Doc. Robert, I can vouch for just how amazingly beautiful these amps sound...imagine going to Music Live, with 100's of guitarists demonstrating gear for all the big manufacturer's, and then some small stand in the corner and above it all you can only hear a Cornford MK50 head.
The creamiest, smoothest sound I've ever heard.

You can usually grab a MK50 head for about £750 second hand, all you need then is the cab, and it don't have to be a Cornford so with a very small investment you've got the best sound in town!

"Sounds Great" stock Budda's but I don't know their prices at all.
I'd also look into the higher end Laney's which have a great lead channel, check out a Chrome - O - Zone.

I would definatley be more inclined to stay with British amps as we just get them for so much cheaper over here (obviously)
Any U.S. import will set you back a lot of money and for what you pay for one you could get a much better British amp.

Check out some of the Euro amps too, there's some stunning manufacturer's as I'm sure you know.

Traynor (Canadian) are back now aswell and they offer a very well priced all-valve amp with a U.K distributor (£499) which is getting some good write-ups) I'll try to get more info.

I'm not sure how things work in Ireland as regard availability, shipping etc...but if you do come across anything you want from over here that'll cost you an arm and a leg in Ireland just let me know and I'll try to help out.

For the sale of a DBK over here you should be able to set yourself up with a very good amp indeed.

Buying an amp is definately a purchase you have to put a lot of thought into, because as I've said, you can get some killer deals nowadays.

I'll sift through some old Guitarist/TG demo's of some good offerings and pull off a few demo's for ya.

good luck....shop well

Steve
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
To sell or not to sell?

I'm gonna give a different answer. I say wait and save

If you really like the 7dbk, then keep it cos you may not get another one you like as much and you'll be cursing "the one that you let get away" for ages.

If you want to sell the JEM10 then you'll raise enough cash to buy a legacy (if that's your amp of choice) and maybe have some left over too. But then you can look forward to regretting that decision for a while too

So wait and save up for a new amp, use the time to study hard at college, both on your course and for your guitar
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 07:48 PM

To sell or not to sell?

Well, I definitely agree with with Jono on the saving, because I think you might be happier in the long run, but if you really DO want to sell that 7DBK, I would be interested in speaking to you about that....it is one of the higher ones on my wish list!

Thanks!

Abe
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-03-2001, 10:03 PM

To sell or not to sell?

Jem10,

Hindsight's always 20/20, BUT I would just save. *Play both guitars indoors for awhile, and study. *By Xmas break, you'll have the dough for one sweet gift......to yourself!

Chris
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:13 AM

To sell or not to sell?

If your DBK plays as good as you say it does, sell the 10. *The 10 serves as eye candy for you, and in your situation I don't think you can even afford to keep the 10. *A good amp should hold much more priority than a collectors guitar.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

To sell or not to sell?

I am at this stage liking what ripl3y has said. I could play the 10 adn sell the 7d. I am a bit impatient to get gigging again.
Would anyone be able to advise me on this:

If I sold my 7d now, in ten/ fifteen years will I look back and say, 'I wondered what happened to that 7d I bought?' and will I have pangs of remorse for selling it? Possible sentimental value.

Has this happened to anyone?

A guitar without an amp is like a car without an engine. Nice to sit in but you aint going places...
:biggrin:

(Edited by jem10 at 7:36 am on Aug. 4, 2001)
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 09:30 AM

To sell or not to sell?

Yes, you will feel those pangs...

But if they don't discontinue the 7D for a few years, you can always put in place a plan to put money aside to buy another one in x-number of months.

Like most people here, I've gone through a sh*t-load of guitars; however, I'll never forgive myself for selling my 1983 Fender Tele Elite. All black with cream binding and the 'Elite' bridge (awesome). The pickups were 2 covered, white mini-humbuckers with active circutry. The greatest thing about the pickups was that you could toggle them to be humbuckers or single coil pu's. "Yea, yea, no biggie", you say. Well, it was a biggie since they didn't have toggle switches, rather each one had a knob you could turn to 'blend' between hum and single! That was just a great sounding guitar- I really miss it. I was a poor post-college dude entering the real world and I traded it in toward a new rig that I really wanted at the time but which I ended up hating in a year. To this day I regret selling that guitar!! I wish I had just waited and saved up the cash .
-Ben
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

To sell or not to sell?

OK I have decided. Firstly I would like to thank everybody for thier input.

I have decided to sell the 7d and use the jem10.

This is after retuning and jamming on the 10 for 45 mins (44.40 mins longer than ever before!) . I feel invigerated and the love of the guitar has been inspired upon me.

[email protected] I am so excited what i write make on sense!!!

P.S Ripl3y: I will have around uk£1300 to spend on an amp ( head,cab). Due to the lack of amps in Ireland I will be buying in the UK. I might pick it up when I am over for the Jemfest 2k.5. If youcan reccomend anythingI would appreciate it.

(Edited by jem10 at 12:11 pm on Aug. 4, 2001)
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 11:58 AM

To sell or not to sell?

Good for you!!! Thats the right approach! I play all my guitars!!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:09 PM

To sell or not to sell?

sounds like a wise decision, guitars are meant to be played! (unless you are an investor, then you should have never played it in the first place)
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-04-2001, 12:16 PM

To sell or not to sell?

Congrats

Personally I dislike the looks of the 7d....

You can collect later...play the 10th now

Julio

Tags
boss metal zone , clean tone , custom shop , fender custom shop , fender strat , mesa mark , sounding guitar , thd hotplate , toggle switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode