Selling Swirls.....will I regret it? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
rvj

Selling Swirls.....will I regret it?

Well folks... after long hard considerations, I've decided to sell both my DNA and UV77MC. I know I will probably regret this later, but the truth is I don't play these guitars and most likely never will. Besides, I still have three other Jems. I'm still unsure whether to sell them as a pair or separate.

Have any of you sold guitars only to regret it?
Share your experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:12 AM

I almost cried reading you post.

No seriously, If you never play them or collect them, then the best deal would be to sell them, right? And selling a DNA and a MC is some serious cash.

I'm sure you will regret selling them at first, but you'll get over it. But then again, I never sold any of my guitars so I can't speak from experience.

Just make sure they find a good home ok?
post #3 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 02:59 AM

Sell the UV! KEEP THE DNA!!
post #4 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:16 AM

I agree with scott 74!!!
The dna is like a piece of art ... Don't sell it even if you don't play it... She's so beautiful and full of details, you'll regret it!
That's my opinion only!
JS
post #5 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 03:28 AM

I have never regretted selling guitars to get something else I wanted, however, inthe last few months, I've had to sell 4 just to pay bills, that pisses me off, I regret thoseo ones........
post #6 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 05:01 AM

what's up dude? you and i have gone around and around on this DNA issue. it is a very hard call indeed! you know that if you ever want a DNA again, you won't get it and if you do, it won't be the one you had, it will be someone else's, and maybe more $$$. but then you probably won't play that one either....just like i don't play mine. it is big money so if you don't play it, sell it. if you are in doubt, then don't do it but you have been thinking about this for a long time and i know that you might regret it but only for a very little bit. once you get that $$$ in hand and you don't have to worry about this dilemna anymore, you will have a great peace of mind dude! that should be worth it, cuz to tell you the truth, i'm tired of thinking about it. i'm putting it off for awhile in my situation.

i have sold guitars that i really didn't want to sell. i had a collector white puzzle vandenberg guitar that was silly mint. this guy was a collector and needed it to complete his collection so i eventually sold it to him. it was better in his hands than in mine. i have never regretted it cuz after long thought, i just did it and that was it. then there was a purple gilbert guitar i had, completely mint! i was regretting it as i packed it up and that sux! BUT once it was gone, i was happy. i think if i sold the DNA, i would be cool. why? cuz i don't play it now...what's there to miss? it's less stress and more money in your bank.

if you really don't know, i would bail on the UV most definately! hell, bail on both and call it a day.... you have 3 other cool jems that you love. good luck.
post #7 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:00 AM

Tough call - those are two great guitars. It's a personal decision and everyone is different but for me if I was in your position I'd sell them. If you're not a collector and you don't play them why would you keep them? They may go up in value in a few years but your better off buying stock or something. It would drive me nuts to have two guitars like that sitting around in their cases collecting dust. I'd take two Jems that I'd play over a DNA that I didn't anyday.
Sure, it'll be hard to let them go. The guitars I regret selling were always the ones that I enjoyed playing.
That said it's gotta be your call. Good luck with your decision.
post #8 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 08:23 AM

What good is a guitar that you don't even play? It's a museum piece. That's like having a beautiful, highly-tuned sports car and leaving it in the garage for fear of something happening to it. That's when it owns *you*...just my opinion, though.
post #9 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:33 AM

You will always regret selling your guitars but if you need to then you must. I DO regret selling my Jem10 and will until they hammer the last nail into my coffin or my ashes are at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

I know some older guitar players who regret selling that 57' Les Paul Goldtop in the 70's that they got when they traded it for a drum throne and ounce of weed.

Gabe
post #10 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:33 AM

Unless I needed the cash, I would keep them. Then again, I'm very attached to my swirls.

There have been many threads here over the years from people who wish they hadn't sold. Ask Rikk Beatty about his UVMC.
post #11 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe Nickelson
You will always regret selling your guitars but if you need to then you must. I DO regret selling my Jem10 and will until they hammer the last nail into my coffin or my ashes are at the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico.

I know some older guitar players who regret selling that 57' Les Paul Goldtop in the 70's that they got when they traded it for a drum throne and ounce of weed.

Gabe

Yeah but Gabe, did you play your Jem10 or frame it and hang it on the wall? I'm assuming you played it. He's NOT playing either of these and said he probably never will. When they hammer the last nail in my coffin I can't see myself ever saying: "well no regrets, I can't take my DNA with me but that's ok because I really enjoyed LOOKING at it in its case".
post #12 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 10:35 AM

Over the last 12 years, I've sold more guitars than I can accurately recall (something between 150-200 I think) On probably 90% of them, I've regretted selling them at the time, but it passed within a month or so. Out of all of those, there are probably only a half dozen that I still kick myself for getting rid of, but I can live with it.

However, none of those were swirls. I'd have a VERY tough time parting with any of my swirls, especially now that I've accumulated a full set of ATD swirls. But...if you don't play them at all, and if you think you can live without them, then do what you must. It IS a lot of money to have tied up in guitars that don't see any action at all.

But...I agree that you should at least hang onto the DNA. There are over 3 times as many UVMC's out there, so replacing that one would probably prove to be a bit easier than replacing the DNA would be.
post #13 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:03 AM

Reviews: 4
I think I'd rather sell a kidney than a DNA.
post #14 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:11 AM

and we never even got to see the pictures of them!
~K
post #15 of 50 (permalink) Old 11-14-2002, 11:14 AM

well, by the looks of this post, i think we helped him out!!! NOT!

i'm in the same boat with my DNA and that is all i can say. i didn't mean for that to rhyme by the way. seriously, lots of great views here.

Tags
atd swirl , atd swirls , gibson les paul , guitar players , les paul , rikk beatty

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode