Semi generic JEM question - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Semi generic JEM question

Hi all. The other day when I was going to GC to get myself a bass (I play both) I asked my son if he wanted anything? He said get me a new guitar. Well I could not find the bass I was looking for so I started to look at guitars. He has an Ibanez and I am a long time fan. Unfortunately GC was very slim on stock and I only had a few choices to play. Nothing struck me until I played the white RG350DX, this thing was sweet! So I bought it for the boy. Turns out that particular model just didn't fit his likes (and at 16 I was very impressed and appreciative that he said that instead of just saying yeah, cool, and never playing it!)
I really liked it and wanted to keep it. The neck was lightning fast! But I still had to buy a bass so I returned it. But it got me thinking and perhaps you guys can help me here.
It is hard to find a place around here with a decent stock of Ibanez so that I can try them all and find what fits me. In the past I had a 1974 Ibanez Destroyer with a thin super fast neck. This neck was similar in playability.
I have decided that it's time to look into trading or selling my 1998 Fender American Delux Strat and getting an Ibanez again.
But what models have similar necks and better quality than the RG350DX?
A new JEM is way out of my range, but I have seen some older JEMS at a price closer to the $1000 threshold.
Is there much difference between the older and newer ones. I am not a huge whammy user but I like to play with it but I do like 24 frets and a thin very fast neck.
Any thoughts on what models may be similar would be greatly appreciated. And any leads on anyone who wants to trade a Strat for a JEM! Would be great too.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:09 PM

Re: Semi generic JEM question

RG1570.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:31 PM

If you want something with a similar feeling neck to the RG350, but higher quality, then I'd agree with lefty, an RG1570 is a good bet, or a used RG5xx.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM

Maybe an RG 20th if you like maple boards? I agree though, I've played those 350s and they are nice guitars with nice necks.

Tags
fender strat , new jem , rg 350 dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode