Sending a JEM to UK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Sending a JEM to UK

hi guys im sending a JEM thru USPS to UK. what should i declare its value? does it matter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Re: Sending a JEM to UK

You should declare the true value for insurance purposes if it gets damaged and you could get a heavy fine for fraud.

But you could do it on the cheap and under-declare to reduce shipping cost. You take your chance ...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 PM

if you do true value then hes gonna have a hefty import duty, and clearing charge, but if you dont do it full and something happens?? anything over 18 dollars gets taxed. every now and again you do get them through without a bill, those are the good days! best of luck.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your replies. $650 is the max insurance on USPS.

for you guys in the UK how much did you pay for taxes?

any guys here in the US have experinece sending jems to UK?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:52 PM

i had to pay nearly 100 pounds for a 400 dollar guitar!!! sweet NOT and it wasnt what it was supposed to be dam evilbay.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:01 PM

Total is about 22%. 17.5% VAT + 4% import duty.

My RG20th from Rich was sent through Fedex - get a quote from them
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:07 PM

I think Fedex and UPS are twice the price of USPS. Around $250 compared to approx $125 for USPS.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarnutteruk View Post
i had to pay nearly 100 pounds for a 400 dollar guitar!!! sweet NOT and it wasnt what it was supposed to be dam evilbay.
I was charged £11.52 for the stud mod I received from Rich, which costed a little over £20 Luck does play a role I guess.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 PM

I had a couple of Jems shipped from the US and I'd say Fedex is the way to go.I think I paid around £120 tax
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 06:24 PM

Whatever you do, don't overdeclare it ...
I bought a Mesa/Boogie from a guy in the US, and for some ridiculous reason , he put the value down at waaay over what i'd paid for it.

I think he thought he was supposed to put the new list price or something stupid I ended up paying couple hundred extra customs

Best thing is just ask the buyer. Some guys want to insure it fully, others want to take a risk and save on customs. Talk to the guy and see what he thinks.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:50 AM

hmm might be wrong but i know when my old company received packages from the usa we allways told them to put "returned goods" as it shows the item has had the import duties paid so we wouldnt have to pay the duties when they got to us in the uk, could you get around the tax by simply putting that on it...they wouldnt find out i think,..maybe... correct me if im wrong

Nick
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:43 PM

ask the buyer what he wants to do,i would go fully insured/declared. i think the buyer is buying because it is a hard to get jem,not so he can save $100 on the list price.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 09:04 AM

Toadster has an interesting idea there. I have shipped about a dozen guitars to the UK and Europe and always used the US post office and spent around $100-120 and they have not screwed up yet. Fedex quoted $350 to Vienna(the first I shipped overseas) so I went the the post office and never looked back.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:42 PM

Use fed-ex, USPS are ok as well, and as long as it's packed extremely well it'll be fine. However if you are going to undervalue it, then you have to ship with a company that is good, and fedex have always been reliable and quality, plus the extra you pay, you then save with undervaluation.

I mean, you may get caught out, but it's a risk that is worth it, as I think they really charge far too much for importing, it's obscene.

Saying that, last time i got guitars, i went on holiday to the US, had them shipped to my hotel, then flew back with them, which is the easiest way really, and you get a holiday out of it!

Just avoid UPS. Any company that manages to lose 2 100lbs speaker cabs is incompetent beyond belief.

Tags
speaker cab , speaker cabs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode