serious tuning problem!! help!!! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

serious tuning problem!! help!!!

hey guys i seriously need your help!!
if i abuse the arm then my tuning greatly changes..
they both go sharp or flat..
i locked my strings hard and they were all balanced but if i start using my arm, then the tuning changes a lot.. how can i fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:22 AM

Rich ???
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 10:08 AM

Did you stretch the strings?

Is everything tight? (Not too tight, but tight enough that nothing is shifting, like the nut, saddles, neck, etc. . .)

Are the studs locked if you have locking studs? (Pre-2003 models or guitars bought from Ibanez Rules)

There are many factors that can cause tuning problems with double locking trems, these are just a few.

Click on the banner for Ibanez Rules at the top of this page, Rich has many pages that address these issues, check them out.

You can also do a search on this forum, again, MANY topics addressing this.

Mic
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 03:00 PM

do a little reading in the tech setup section, but most likely you need to adjust the trem springs and lube the pivot points. when these things are adjusted just right they stay in tune really well. I've had floyd style trems since they 1st came out and have learned quite a few tricks to get them set up the way I like them. Basically if all the strings go flat together you need more spring tension, if they all go sharp you need less. I usually will adjust the screws about 1/8 a turn at a time. just my .02
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

only some of my strings (both E strings, G string and sometimes others as well) goes either flat or sharp.. they are quite randomly changed. i did look at some links and i did stretch my strings and stuff but the result is still same.. well.. what should i do??
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 12:31 AM

What guitar are we talking about here? (like, year, everything, so we know all the specs we're dealing with)
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 11:23 PM

what about the two screws that the back of the neck, just right behind the locking nut (i dunno what are they called =P)

it happened to my dbk too, but after i tightened those 2 screws, everything is fine and even after an hour or crazy whammy bar wanking, it was still perfectly in tune.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

i got a jem7vwh 2003 model...
and i now did screw my back neck screws( i donno what they are called either!! lol).. i'll see how it goes..
just out of interest.. does the back neck screws change the action of the guitar as well?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

i still have same problem...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 10:21 AM

Make sure your trem is floating at the correct position (neutral). The Screws on the back of the neck just keeps the nut in place, it doesn't change the height of the nut. If your bridge is in the ridge position and everything else is fine you may have a bad knife edge and/or a bad stud. This is where Rich comes in, he'll address all those problems.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 11:28 AM

FYI - Do not over-tighten the screws on the back of the neck. They just should be snug. Over tightening will cause the wood to crack. General rule is all wood is susceptible to changes in climate. I highly suggest you completely read every area at http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm.

I myself learned a lot there.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:29 PM

Did the problem start after changing strings or is it a new guitar? Is the bridge sunk into its pocket or sticking out excessively? How are the trem springs and claw arranged right now? I've seen some er interesting ways people have set theirs up and they swear it plays great like that....
This is the 2nd time my post has appeared twice today WTF?
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-23-2004, 03:39 PM

Did the problem start after changing strings or is it a new guitar? Is the bridge sunk into its pocket or sticking out excessively? How are the trem springs and claw arranged right now? I've seen some er interesting ways people have set theirs up and they swear it plays great like that....
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-24-2004, 12:18 AM

My UV777BK used to go out of tune when you used the trem. The problem was the pickguard was placed ever so slightly too close to the trem. When you used the trem it would bind against the pickguard, keeping it from returning to null position.

A little filing on the pickguard and it stays in tune with heavy trem usage.

Nice QC Ibanez

Tags
locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , neck screws , trem springs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode