Setting action on UV777... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Setting action on UV777...

I've been playing the hell out of this guitar and I'm still not used to it. I pick up my six strings... and I'm fast as hell and clean as the day is long. I get out the UV777 and my ability goes in the pooper.

So I did what I did 15 years ago when I was learning... broke out some old tapes of guitars players I loved (Vai, Gilbert, and Petrucci's Rock Discipline) and I started doing calesthenics to get my hands used to the strings.

I spent a great deal of time getting the tremolo setup and it looks just like it does in the tech setup area on this site.

I was doing some of JP's warmups at the 10th fret and noticed how high my action is. At the 12th fret, I measured almost 5-mm of clearance from the fretboard to the bottom of the 7th string. That can't be right.

How much clearance do you guys have there?

This has to be a truss rod adjustment, because when I use the string as a straight-edge, I can see a significant dip from frets 7 through 17. Do you think the neck needs the rod tightened? Opinions, questions and comments aren't just welcome, I need them!! It's almost uncomfortable to play that high up on the neck because the strings are so high up.

Thanks guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:39 PM

doest it have a neck shim?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
doest it have a neck shim?
I'm not sure, I didn't take the neck off. Is there any way to tell with the neck in place? If it has a shim, should I remove it?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 11:41 PM

If I remember correctly, Rich has said that most US guitars will have the shim so you should have one (that just by seeing your FL location). A shim usually helps to get a low action in the upper register. You should have no problem there.

Follow the Jemsite tech section for a step by step checkup
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:19 AM

A neck shim is not going to help that back-bow (I must have been tired---front bow...front bow). The guitar may indeed take a shim, but you need to tighten the truss rod first. Start slowly in 1/8 turn increments letting the gutar settle for about 30 minutes between adjustments. By fretting at the first and around the 15th, (thus using the string as a straight-edge) you should have a space about the thickness of three sheets of paper at the 7th fret (bass side, it may be slightly less on the high E). Once the neck is straight, then we can concentrate on your shim issue. You can go to ibanezrules.com for all of this good stuff. Rich put together an excellent dissertation on neck-pocket shimming. And truss-rod adjustments are covered thoroughly in the links section of this site, by several different sources.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:25 AM
Vendor

I happen to like quite a bit of frontbow on a 7 string

You only need a neck shim if you can't get the action lower because the posts are bottomed out [and don't forget there's a tiny setscrew inside the post itself], or, you can't pullup on the trem as far as you want.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 11:26 AM

Thanks, Rich... I must have been dead tired when I wrote that, at least I told the guy to tighten the [email protected] thing.......sheeesh BTW, David Akers kicks ass, but not footballs in the MeadowLands.....there goes home field
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:37 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil01ws6
Thanks, Rich... I must have been dead tired when I wrote that, at least I told the guy to tighten the [email protected] thing.......sheeesh BTW, David Akers kicks ass, but not footballs in the MeadowLands.....there goes home field
Don't make me cry, again!

Then again, GO JETS!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:50 PM

J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Vendor

Just what I was screaming yesterday!!!

Tags
neck shim , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode