Setup problems on JS700 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
Setup problems on JS700

I'm trying to intonate my JS700. I switched to 10s (I'm assuming 9s came with it) cuz I wanted to put on new strings and get the intonation really good on it. And I figured the thicker strings should give me somewhat better tone.

But now I'm getting fret buzz. No surprise, the action was pretty low on it to start with. But now I'm wondering some things.

ONE: The string height is controlled by two big screws on the sides of the bridge. How do I tell when they're the right height?

TWO: The Ibanez manual says the intonation is right when the 12th fret harmonic's the same pitch as the 12th note fretted. But shouldn't both of those be the same as the open note on the same string? In this case, it ain't.

I know I'm a bone headed novice. So if I'm missing something simple, please let me know. I'm going to start taking lessons after I pay down some bills, but I'd rather not wait that long to start playing. And I'd rather spend hours figuring out how to do it right than pay someone to do the setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:43 AM
Vendor

ONE: The string height is controlled by two big screws on the sides of the bridge. How do I tell when they\'re the right height?

There is no "right" height, action height is a personal choice.

TWO: The Ibanez manual says the intonation is right when the 12th fret harmonic\'s the same pitch as the 12th note fretted. But shouldn\'t both of those be the same as the open note on the same string? In this case, it ain\'t.

Obviously it needs intonating. I like to use open string and last fret to set it. However you do it it'll be better than it is now.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

That's what I figured. At least my insticts were right. I was just panicking when I realized how far off it was.

But how can you use the last fret to intonate when it's a 22 fret neck?

One last question, I think I remember reading somewhere the action should be uniform from the first fret to the last. Is that right?
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:08 PM

Not necessarily. Its almost impossible to get the action uniform, Ive never played a guitar with uniform action in my life, and Ive played alot of good ones too. Rich's favorite guitars are js so if you set it up for the last fret and open note it should still work fine right rich
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 01:13 PM
Vendor

36 fret shredder or 14 fret acoustic, last fret is the shortest string length
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

Okay, yeah I understand that. But lacking perfect pitch myself, I'm using a Boss Tuner which only indicates the pitches for the open strings and the octaves, if I'm remembering correctly. So how do I use the 22nd fret to tune to the same note as the open string if it's a full step flatter?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 07:17 PM
Vendor

Get a tuner that will tune any note and throw that junk away. What would you do if you detuned the whole guiytar 1 step?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 08:58 PM

cough couch Korg cough cough
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:17 PM

Yeah the Korg GT12 is really cool! Just wish it wasn't made of plastic! Anyway as far as the string height goes I think you can adjust height on all the individual saddles.

I know when I set up the action the top two strings like to buzz on me. Get the height where you want it, and from there tweak the individual saddles in very small increments. Once you got the strings where you want them make sure the truss rod doesn't need adjusting. That could be causing your problem too! Good luck
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-03-2002, 10:57 PM

i find generally if the buzzing is comming from notes fretted above the 12th fret then its the bridge that needs adjusting, where as if ur fretting notes below the 12th fret and theyre buzzing then its the truss rod
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Well it's nearly perfectly intonated right now. More than good enough for my ears. The open string and the 12 fret match perfectly. I forgot to check the harmonic. I'll try and remember to do that tonight.

Now I only get buzz when I really dig into the strings, so I'm pretty happy.

On this model of bridge, you cannot adjust the saddles individually. The string height is adjusted by changing the bridge height. I'm thinking of upgrading to a Tone-Lock bridge as was suggested in another thread. But it's okay for right now.

Tags
fret buzz , fret neck , truss rod

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode