Should i get a Jem V7? - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM

Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

I'm still wondering what a JEM V7 is though

I thought the V7 pups were in cheaper RG's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:28 PM

Go to the store and try all guitars you want to buy(not every). Check specs, differences. Choose the models you like and try them. Maybe it will be a RG or Jem or something different. Make your choice, pay the money, go to someone that can do a good setup, take it to your house and play!
Also take some pics and post here.
post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM

No doubt about it, certainly you should !

Last edited by WMerkert; 01-19-2008 at 08:10 PM.
post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:07 PM

Mr Jono is right!!

It all depends on how much money you have to spend.... There are plenty people who sound and play better on an RG than the next guy on a Jem!!

As for value..... the Jem is more expensive to buy new and is also worth more 2nd hand. The VWH is pretty easy to find at auction or in the classifieds here.... if you have the cash, grab a good condition used.... if you don't think it is worth it you can always resell it for about what you paid for it
post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:44 PM

Buy used. Jems are awesome but $2200? I didn't pay that much for my j custom
post #21 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerem View Post
Go to the store and try all guitars you want to buy(not every). Check specs, differences. Choose the models you like and try them. Maybe it will be a RG or Jem or something different. Make your choice, pay the money, go to someone that can do a good setup, take it to your house and play!
Also take some pics and post here.
What's a setup?
post #22 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Why is it ten times better? Just wondering.
An RG is a cheap Jem. Sorry, but that's the way it is, even though i love RG models.
post #23 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Buy used. Jems are awesome but $2200? I didn't pay that much for my j custom
Again it's all about how much you want to spend, I know guys who'd spend that much on dinner with friends.

If you're mowing lawns and delivering papers it's a lot of money.
post #24 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
There are actually some RGs made from alder.
Mostly mid-90s USA customs and the legendary RG570CT
This is absolutely true, there have also been mahogany and ash bodied ones as well; some had maple tops others didn't, but the vast majority are basswood... As was the JEM series until 93 when the 7V was added.
post #25 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

i have Gibson lp studio as my first guitar one year ago when i was 13, and after that i figured that i really like playing so now i decide to Go up a level,

I believe that Purchasing anything at any price tag is OK as long as it is nesscesary for the next level.

I am willing to spend $5000+ on a LP custom if it is necessary to.

And if buying a $2200 Ibanez is necessary to "level up" then I am willing to pay up.
post #26 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 AM

Reviews: 65

If you really dig the Les Paul be warned: Gibson has extreme quality control issues at the moment. You should really try them before you buy....

If you get an Ibanez just buy from the right place and you get a top notch guitar.
post #27 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnom250 View Post
i have Gibson lp studio as my first guitar one year ago when i was 13, and after that i figured that i really like playing so now i decide to Go up a level,

I believe that Purchasing anything at any price tag is OK as long as it is nesscesary for the next level.

I am willing to spend $5000+ on a LP custom if it is necessary to.

And if buying a $2200 Ibanez is necessary to "level up" then I am willing to pay up.
I don't agree with that.
I've been playing for about 13 years now, and my level of playing is reasonably high. I am not a mega-shredder, but I can play pretty much anything by Joe Satriani, and I can do quite a bit of Vai, Malmsteen and that sort of thing.

But none of the guitars I've ever owned are even at the level of a Gibson Les Paul Studio. An RG570CT has been my main guitar for about a decade, and recently I've bought an S7320. They are nowhere near as expensive as a Jem... not even the best RG and S models around, but I can play on them just fine, and they sound pretty good aswell.

If you ask me, the price difference has very little to do with playability, As long as it's set up right, any decent guitar will play great. I think those more expensive guitars are mostly about the cosmetics and sound.
I'd say that a good RG or S guitar won't limit anyone's level of playing... I don't think a Jem, JS, PGM or other expensive shredder signature guitar will actually play better.
At least it never limited me, and I've seen guitarists that play better than me, and are doing that on regular RGs and S models, instead of Jems and such.
post #28 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
If you get an Ibanez just buy from the right place and you get a top notch guitar.
Does guitar center count?

And is it true that Jems so versatile that that they can go from bright and clean tones to a "Slayer" (The Metal Band) type of distortion?

I plan for a new guitar because my Gbison Lp studio's humbacker limits the sound produced to be heavy and fat. so I thought about fender strat for its fabled clean sound, but i heard that the Jem can go from a heavy sound of the likes in a Gibson LP to a Clean sound of the likes of a single coil in a fender.

please help.

Last edited by maxnom250; 01-20-2008 at 10:35 AM.
post #29 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 10:59 AM

Has anyone gets a clean sound like a fender with a jem has evo pickups please send me some sound clips
post #30 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnom250 View Post
Does guitar center count?

And is it true that Jems so versatile that that they can go from bright and clean tones to a "Slayer" (The Metal Band) type of distortion?

I plan for a new guitar because my Gbison Lp studio's humbacker limits the sound produced to be heavy and fat. so I thought about fender strat for its fabled clean sound, but i heard that the Jem can go from a heavy sound of the likes in a Gibson LP to a Clean sound of the likes of a single coil in a fender.

please help.
Not just a Jem... RGs can do it aswell, as can S models... not even just the H-S-H ones, but also the H-H ones because of the clever 5-way switching that Ibanez uses.

I had pretty much the same wishes when I bought my RG570CT. I had a Les Paul, and I loved the fat heavy sound it had, but I was limited to that. I didn't have single-coil sounds and I didn't have a good tremolo.
I didn't want a Strat, because I don't like them at all. They lack body to the sound, they lack sustain, and the tremolo is pretty useless.
So I tried various guitars from Ibanez, Jackson, Washburn etc.. and I ended up with the RG570CT... the alder body with the maple top really did it for me. It gave the guitar a very fat, sustaining and singing sound. Not quite like a Les Paul, but close enough. And it gave me single-coil sounds... and the excellent LoPro Edge tremolo. It also looked good... amber sunburst.

You probably want to go for alder, or perhaps mahogany, as those will get you the 'vintage' tones of Fender or Gibson. Basswood has a sound of its own.
You won't get the exact Fender and Gibson sounds but I'd say it's 'close enough'.
But you could also go crazy and get a Gibson M3. In my opinion that one gets even closer to Fender and Gibson sounds than any Ibanez. More sustain because of the set neck, a more Fender-like attack because of the maple fretboard... and the clever wiring that gives you S-S-S and H-H sounds, combined with excellent pickups which in my opinion have more character than any DiMarzio.

Here's a song with the clean single-coil sound from my RG570CT: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...songID=3648989

Tags
acoustic guitar , alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , custom shop , custom shop gibson , digitech whammy , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , evo pickups , fat tone , fender strat , fretboard radius , gary moore , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , ibanez jem , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , locking tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall amp , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick eggle , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , rusty cooley , shawn lane , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat sound , string tension , suhr guitars , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode