Should i get a Jem V7? - Page 3 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:17 AM

Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

If you are only 13 the Jem might be a little too much of a guitar for you to handle. Remember that the scale is much longer than an LP and the string spacing is a lot wider as well, Vai has big hands. But if you get one, especially from a vendor like Rich, and it is set up good, it will play way nicer than an LP with even the greasiest of action.

In my opinion, when considering why a Jem is so much more than an RG, you have to take a few things into consideration besides that fact that it is a signature model. Yes the sig will indeed add to the price, but so will the vine inlay, dimarzio pickups, and upgraded wood choices. The VWH's have an alder body which is a little more expensive to procure than basswood, and VWH's also used to have an ebony fretboard which was also a big upgrade.

One thing I also have realized over the years is that even when an RG and a Jem are made of basswood, take for example an RG7620 and a Jem77FP, the basswood used on the Jem is of a much higher quality. The Ibanez website used to state that all basswood Jems and UV's were made of "American Basswood", while the RG's are made of "Basswood" meaning asian basswood wich is less expensive. The American basswood is much lighter, more resonant, and the wood that Vai and Satch were specifically talking about for thier signature models. The asian Basswood, is typically much heavier, wetter, more dense and not exacly as resonant, it is a tone wood, but not the same type of tone wood as the American basswood countertype.

It is for this reason why I have read on this very forum that some people claim to have the most killler sounding guitar with thier Jem 10th and Evo's, while another person with an RG with Evo's does not sound as good as the 10th.

I don't have any regular RG's anymore, but i remember that a 7620 I had was way heavier than a UV777BK I had at the same time, the UV was so light it was extremely neck heavy, the American basswood body was featherweight. I have an FP that is very light as well, definetely lighter than any basswood 6 string RG I have ever had.

My point being is that the Jem/UV series is typically better/more expensive becuase of not only the signature name of the series, but becuase of the inlays, pickups, finishes, and superior wood. I am also willing to bet that you will find more quartsawn necks on Jems/UV's that you will on the average RG as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

are you sure that the scale of a Jem v7 is bigger than those of an lp? beacuse i think the only difference is the thickness of the neck.
post #33 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:35 AM

I don't know, I'm pretty sure a Jem/UV/RG has a 25.5 inch scale, and a typical LP has a 24.75 inch scale.

Maybe you should get out to your local GC or something and play a couple Jems/UV's/RG's before you make up your mind based on the opinions of people on the is forum.

And yes, you are right, the neck thickness will probably be different, more likely to be a thinner neck on a Jem than an LP. The fretboard radius will also be a lot flatter on the jem and the fretboard will be a lot wider in general on the jem.
post #34 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
If you are only 13 the Jem might be a little too much of a guitar for you to handle. Remember that the scale is much longer than an LP and the string spacing is a lot wider as well, Vai has big hands. But if you get one, especially from a vendor like Rich, and it is set up good, it will play way nicer than an LP with even the greasiest of action.
I don't quite agree there.
The shorter scale on the LP means that you have lower string tension with the same guage and tuning. This means that you will either have a guitar that plays lighter, or you can choose to use heavier strings while still playing as lightly, resulting in fatter tone and more sustain because of the extra string mass.

I believe the double-locking tremolo also makes bending harder... On a Les Paul you stretch the string over its entire length from tuning peg to stopbar, which makes the string stretch more gradually, and has an easier feel. My RG also bends a bit nicer when the lock is not closed.

And even though my hands are probably about as large as Vai's, I never had a problem with the LP feeling 'cramped'.

So no, for me a LP has a really nice playing feel. I compensate on the RG and S by using a lighter guage of strings. My perfect guitar would actually not be a superstrat, but more of a super-LP.
post #35 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:47 AM

^^ So, you're saying that an LP is an easier guitar to play? I agree that they definetely lend themselves to good bending and fatter tone, and I would probably ultimately recommend that maxnom250 buy some sort of LP with coil splitting capabilities if he is looking for cleans and softer tones, and also full on distorion, rather than a straight up Jem. Have you ever younger people playing jems like Tom McRocklin? The guitar was bigger than he was. In this case I would agree with you and recommend a LP of some sort with coil splitting capabilities.
post #36 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris777 View Post
^^ So, you're saying that an LP is an easier guitar to play?
Well, yes and no.
I just really like the Gibson necks. I love the short scale and the flat wide frets they use. For me they are very fast and comfortable.
And I'm a sucker for fat tone and sustain.
Since the Les Paul was my first guitar, I learnt to live with the weight, thickness of the neck and the lack of an upper cutaway early on, but I can imagine that many people see these as serious problems in terms of playability.
I guess an SG would be a better example, since it doesn't have those problems, but it has the same type of neck as a Les Paul.

But yes... I used to play with .009 strings on my Les Paul, and when I got my RG, I had to really get used to the stiff feel. I thought that was a bit strange, because people generally say that they hate Les Pauls and Ibanez is rated as one of the best players in the world.
As my hands adjusted to the RG, I had problems with the Les Paul, because the strings now felt so light that I had trouble controlling them. So I went up to .010 strings on the Les Paul, which still played really nicely, and the tone is just incredible. I've also experimented with D'Addario's .0095 strings once... They are about a direct match with .009 on an RG.

But you don't have to buy a new guitar if you just want the single-coil sounds. You could replace the pickups on your Les Paul and have some push-pull pots installed for some coil-splitting/tapping options. In fact, you could buy the exact same pickups, just with 4-conductor wiring from Gibson, so you will keep the original sound, but just add new features.
post #37 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM

maxnom250:
Whats your gear except Gibson lp studio? Maybe you should pay less for guitar and buy a decent amp etc. Don't get me wrong. Isnt it too much for a 14yr old boy to buy $2000+ guitar.
post #38 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnom250 View Post
i have Gibson lp studio as my first guitar one year ago when i was 13, and after that i figured that i really like playing so now i decide to Go up a level,

I believe that Purchasing anything at any price tag is OK as long as it is nesscesary for the next level.

I am willing to spend $5000+ on a LP custom if it is necessary to.

And if buying a $2200 Ibanez is necessary to "level up" then I am willing to pay up.
If money is no object then you have the ultimate solution. Get yourself to a great guitar store, ask a parent to go with you to show the store your serious and explain the situation. You have money to spend
(that's what mom or dad is for, to convince the guy working in the store that you're serious), but don't know what you want.

Ask them to show you some different guitars and make sure you get to play them through an amp like yours, or an amp like you'll be moving on to soon.

Take notes on each guitar you play then go home and think about it. Go back and buy the guitar another day when you've had time to relly think about where our money is going. Ask our parent to explain to the store owner that you'll be coming back to buy when you've had a good long think about it. (store owners hate kids getting fingerprints on guitars they're not buying )

There's a lot to be said for having an expensive guitar or a guitar just like your hero's to make you play better and frankly enjoy yourself more. BUT monetary value aside I'd rather have an RG550 than Jimmy Page's own Les Paul. It'd be more fun for ME to play.

Spend your money wisely to maximise YOUR own enjoyment of the hobby rather than trying to impress your friends or folks on internet forums
post #39 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:37 PM

Well, if you ask me... you can't really 'go up a level' from an LP Studio. It may not have the looks and status of a $5000 custom, but they're both still Gibson Les Pauls. You get pretty much the same guitar all around. Same type of neck, same type of hardware, same type of wood, same type of electronics etc.

I guess you may not yet know what kind of player you are, or want to be. Perhaps you're not a Les Paul player at all. Then again, perhaps you're not a Jem player either.
Why not get a mid-end RG (eg a 1570 or 2570, they play about as well as a Jem anyway)? Perhaps even second-hand? Keep the Les Paul... if you find that the RG is your kind of guitar, you can always 'upgrade' to a Jem later. If the RG isn't your thing, well, you haven't wasted a lot of money on it either, so you can use that money for your next purchase.

I think it just takes a guitarist years to find out what his ideal guitar is. It may even change over the years. Just playing for one year isn't enough. I was playing for about a year on a borrowed Strat clone before I bought my own, which was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, because I really liked the sound that Gary Moore and Slash got.
Then after about 2 years I was getting into Satriani and Vai and such, and a Les Paul just didn't cut it. So I got my RG.
post #40 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
Well, if you ask me... you can't really 'go up a level' from an LP Studio. It may not have the looks and status of a $5000 custom, but they're both still Gibson Les Pauls. You get pretty much the same guitar all around. Same type of neck, same type of hardware, same type of wood, same type of electronics etc.
I'd say that you certainly can go up a level from a studio, but again this is just a difference of opinion. In my experience the custom shop Gibsons have been better sounding, better playing and certainly better looking guitars than the off the shelf studio versions. But again this is just opinion and i haven't tried an extensive amount.

It's like saying a PRS private stock isn't a level up from an artist model, or a custom, or an SE, it's how broad are your "levels" and what it is you think defines the differences between them.

Last edited by jono; 01-20-2008 at 01:03 PM.
post #41 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

I have a MG 250 DFX its a 250 watt marshall amp and i have a Digitech whammy and a boss MT2 metal zone along with my gibson LP studio

and for going to my friend's (drummer) house i use a MG30 DFX a 30 watt marshall amp and my pedal

and i also have that MS-2 amp, the marshall belt amp that's like 2 watt.
post #42 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
An RG is a cheap Jem. Sorry, but that's the way it is, even though i love RG models.
But I ask again, why exactly is a JEM ten times better than a good RG (770, Prestige, etc...)?

Quote:
Does guitar center count?

And is it true that Jems so versatile that that they can go from bright and clean tones to a "Slayer" (The Metal Band) type of distortion?

I plan for a new guitar because my Gbison Lp studio's humbacker limits the sound produced to be heavy and fat. so I thought about fender strat for its fabled clean sound, but i heard that the Jem can go from a heavy sound of the likes in a Gibson LP to a Clean sound of the likes of a single coil in a fender.

please help.
JEMs/RGs can do a wide variety of sounds, but they sound like JEMs and RGs. You're not going to get a Strat sound or a LP sound out of either.

My personal opinion is that a guitarist should have one of the following:

- Les Paul or nice LP clone (you have this covered)
- Strat or Strat clone (Suhr, etc)
- Some sort of "shred" guitar (JEM, RG, Vigier, etc)

Personally though, if you say you have as much money as you do, I would seriously look to Suhr guitars or Vigier guitars. Suhr just unveiled its new 24 fret model (see the thread in the "Other Guitars" section). You can easily get one for around the same price as a JEM with many custom options. IMO, the quality of those guitars easily blows most equally-priced Ibanezes out of the water. I just think that if you're going to be spending $2200+, there are much better options than a JEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post

I guess you may not yet know what kind of player you are, or want to be. Perhaps you're not a Les Paul player at all. Then again, perhaps you're not a Jem player either.
Why not get a mid-end RG (eg a 1570 or 2570, they play about as well as a Jem anyway)? Perhaps even second-hand? Keep the Les Paul... if you find that the RG is your kind of guitar, you can always 'upgrade' to a Jem later. If the RG isn't your thing, well, you haven't wasted a lot of money on it either, so you can use that money for your next purchase.

I think it just takes a guitarist years to find out what his ideal guitar is. It may even change over the years. Just playing for one year isn't enough. I was playing for about a year on a borrowed Strat clone before I bought my own, which was an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, because I really liked the sound that Gary Moore and Slash got.
Then after about 2 years I was getting into Satriani and Vai and such, and a Les Paul just didn't cut it. So I got my RG.
Scali has sound advice.

I don't know who misinformed you, but a Les Paul Studio is not an average beginner's guitar that you "level up" from. Sure, there are higher end models out there with exquisite flamed tops, better inlays, etc...But don't think that a LP Studio is a bad guitar.

Quote:
I have a MG 250 DFX its a 250 watt marshall amp and i have a Digitech whammy and a boss MT2 metal zone along with my gibson LP studio

and for going to my friend's (drummer) house i use a MG30 DFX a 30 watt marshall amp and my pedal

and i also have that MS-2 amp, the marshall belt amp that's like 2 watt.
EDIT: Posted before I saw this....

Well, good grief, forget a new guitar, upgrade that amp! You're hardly going to notice the subtle nuances of a nicer guitar through an amp like that.

Last edited by waylay00; 01-20-2008 at 01:14 PM.
post #43 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

i'm not planning to get a new amp because i am leaving to boarding school and i rather consider a new amp when i am in that area.

so i might post again when i am in boarding school next autumn

beacuse i don't wanna bring a 30+ Kgs amp onto the plane

So are you saying that i should get a fender? or suhr?

are suhrs any good?
post #44 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
i'm not planning to get a new amp because i am leaving to boarding school and i rather consider a new amp when i am in that area.

so i might post again when i am in boarding school next autumn

beacuse i don't wanna bring a 30+ Kgs amp onto the plane

So are you saying that i should get a fender? or suhr?

are suhrs any good?
Well, Suhrs, IMO, are some the best guitars you get out there. There are known as being the top of the top. They haven't updated their new site with the 24 fretter (they are still at NAMM), but it should be up soon.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/

also look at

http://www.vigierguitars.com/guitare...t=37&type=tous

As far as saying that you should get a Fender, well, it all depends. Are you craving the sound of a Strat more than the sound of a JEM/RG or other "shred" guitar?
post #45 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
An RG is a cheap Jem. Sorry, but that's the way it is, even though i love RG models.
I'd actually say, that a Jem is an expensive RG, even though the Jem came first. All that extra cost for what?

Tags
acoustic guitar , alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , custom shop , custom shop gibson , digitech whammy , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , evo pickups , fat tone , fender strat , fretboard radius , gary moore , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , ibanez jem , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , locking tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall amp , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick eggle , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , rusty cooley , shawn lane , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat sound , string tension , suhr guitars , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode