Should i get a Jem V7? - Page 4 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #46 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

i'm actually looking for versatility, becuase i have yet to find out what type of guitarist i am. a metal guitarist? a jazz guitarist?Rock guitarist?

Or even more specific.
Metal : death, heavy, power.
Jazz: ensemble, lead, comtemporay.
Rock: classic, punk, hard, Seattle, indie, southern.

and many more

so i think that the LP studios humbacker limits me to only explore the fatter and chunkier side of music.

so i think that i need a versatile guitar in order to explore and find my "true calling".

and i consider a jem because i heard so much about it being the most versatile guitar there is and how it is " the blend between a fender and a gibson in the form of a superstart".

so if there is a more versatile guitar out there, do tell.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
Well, Suhrs, IMO, are some the best guitars you get out there. There are known as being the top of the top. They haven't updated their new site with the 24 fretter (they are still at NAMM), but it should be up soon.
I'd say they're certainly known by Suhr owners as being the top of the top. The rest of us might think Anderson or Tyler are better

I thought about getting a suhr but decided against it I found that I preferred my JEMs and JS guitars overall and whilst not having the kudos that a suhr does, they probably are more fun for me to play.

But hell you can't fault their quality
post #48 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of NAMM

I am also considering an E-GEN 18 , sign guitar of herman li, the dragon force guy.
post #49 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd say they're certainly known by Suhr owners as being the top of the top. The rest of us might think Anderson or Tyler are better

I thought about getting a suhr but decided against it I found that I preferred my JEMs and JS guitars overall and whilst not having the kudos that a suhr does, they probably are more fun for me to play.

But hell you can't fault their quality
Well, as an owner of an Anderson Pro Am, I still think Suhr holds the crown. Speaking of which, I'm actually about to sell the Pro Am. Just need to take some pics.
post #50 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Well, as an owner of an Anderson Pro Am, I still think Suhr holds the crown.
Can't argue with that mate
post #51 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

What are Suhr guitars good for?

i mean, are they more like fenders of gibsons?
post #52 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnom250 View Post
What are Suhr guitars good for?

i mean, are they more like fenders of gibsons?
Traditionally, they're more of the Fender vibe, BUT, as I said, they just launched their 24 fret "Modern" guitar to tap into the "shred" market a bit more. This means smaller profiled neck joint, Gotoh Floyd, etc...All the features you'd expect to find on a superstrat.

But I still think you're approaching this a little problematically. Every guitar is good for anything. You'll see guys playing metal on Les Pauls and playing blues on Strats. You'll see the exact opposite. It's more about the sound you're after. Do you want that Les Paul crunch? Do you want that Strat glassiness? Do you want that Tele twang? Do you want the JEM/RG sound? It all depends on what you want.

That's why, personally, I'm never after a "do-it-all" guitar. Every type of guitar has its pluses and minuses, so it's better to have a well-rounded stable instead of one guitar that does everything half-way.
post #53 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

cool.

it must be like $5000+

do you think its worth it?
post #54 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
cool.

it must be like $5000+

do you think its worth it?
Well I spec'ed a Suhr Standard out for $3300, and typically when you order through a dealer, that price is reduced somewhere between 25% - 35%, so around $2400. Whether or not it's worth it, that's up to you. But since you're talking about spending up to $3000 anyway, I'd say it's worth it.
post #55 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

I agree a Suhr is "worth it" as much as any other guitar that costs that much
post #56 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's why, personally, I'm never after a "do-it-all" guitar. Every type of guitar has its pluses and minuses, so it's better to have a well-rounded stable instead of one guitar that does everything half-way.
well said

so you're trying to tell me not to rush right?

i understand that

the reason behind my search of a versatile guitar is because i don't want to bring more than one guitar to boarding school, of which i would do if i buy a fender-like guitar.

so are you recommending that i do more " soul searching" guitar-wise before burning a hole in my pocket on a High end guitar?
post #57 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
so are you recommending that i do more " soul searching" guitar-wise before burning a hole in my pocket on a High end guitar?
Precisely

Hunting for a new guitar is not an easy task. It takes a lot of time thinking, asking, playing, listening, and demoing. Only then can you make a true decision.
post #58 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd say that you certainly can go up a level from a studio, but again this is just a difference of opinion. In my experience the custom shop Gibsons have been better sounding, better playing and certainly better looking guitars than the off the shelf studio versions. But again this is just opinion and i haven't tried an extensive amount.

It's like saying a PRS private stock isn't a level up from an artist model, or a custom, or an SE, it's how broad are your "levels" and what it is you think defines the differences between them.
Well, he talked about the level of playing specifically.
I'm not saying that a custom shop LP isn't a better, more valuable guitar... Just that an LP Studio is already an excellent player, and for someone who has only been playing for a year, a custom isn't going to add anything extra to the equation.
As I was trying to say before... even with my 'cheap' guitars like the Epi Les Paul, the RG570CT and the S7320, it's me who's the limiting factor, not my guitars. Since the LP Studio is already better than all of these, I doubt it will be limiting anyone who's only been playing for a year, compared to a more expensive LP anyway... so disregarding other limits like no single coil sounds or tremolo etc.
After 13 years I still haven't reached the limits of my Epi LP, and I doubt I ever will. I'm just not that talented (then again, I have had it recrowned by a great luthier, and have installed a graphtech nut and original Gibson 490R and 498T pickups, so it's 'pimped' a bit.. but still not to the level of a Gibson Studio).
post #59 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

cool.

So am i supposed to spend countless hours in a guitar shop for weeks trying different guitars?

I don't really want to do that because as someone has said before " the shop staffs doesn't like kids going into the shop and laying their fingers on guitar and not buy anything"

The staffs will think " Oh damn! the kid that plays familiar riffs Is BACK!"

and i don't like it that way.

espicially if they think that i won't buy something in the end.

its like going into the supermarket and trying all the free samples and leave without buying anything.

but i will do so anyway for the sake of " Soul-Searching".

Thanks man.

PS: doesn't this ruin the whole concept of this forum being on "Jemsite" a website dedicated to the JEM series of ibanez?
post #60 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
but still not to the level of a Gibson Studio).
I guess our ideas on where a les paul studio falls in the great scheme of things is different then and we should leave it at that

I'd say that from the sound of things your pimped Epi would give a Gibson Studio a hell of a run for its money

Tags
acoustic guitar , alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , custom shop , custom shop gibson , digitech whammy , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , evo pickups , fat tone , fender strat , fretboard radius , gary moore , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , ibanez jem , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , locking tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall amp , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick eggle , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , rusty cooley , shawn lane , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat sound , string tension , suhr guitars , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode