Should i get a Jem V7? - Page 5 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

Btw.

I think you have mistaken me.

I meant to say that i got my first electric guitar last year.

i played the violin from age 6 and when i was 9 i learnt to play the banjo and when i was 11 , i started to play an acoustic guitar. and when i was 13, I moved on the electric.

so i think i have a long history of fretted instruments.

Last edited by maxnom250; 01-20-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I'd say that from the sound of things your pimped Epi would give a Gibson Studio a hell of a run for its money
How so? An LP Studio comes with the same pickups as I put in... I would think that the wood quality and construction of Gibson is also better than Epiphone...
And the fretjob and graphtech nut were mainly done because of maintenance after about 10 years of intense playing. A new guitar shouldn't need that.
post #63 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scali View Post
How so? An LP Studio comes with the same pickups as I put in... I would think that the wood quality and construction of Gibson is also better than Epiphone...
And the fretjob and graphtech nut were mainly done because of maintenance after about 10 years of intense playing. A new guitar shouldn't need that.
Well it's all about levels isn't it? As you said yourself...

Quote:
Well, if you ask me... you can't really 'go up a level' from an LP Studio. It may not have the looks and status of a $5000 custom, but they're both still Gibson Les Pauls. You get pretty much the same guitar all around. Same type of neck, same type of hardware, same type of wood, same type of electronics etc.
I doubt there's any less of a difference between the woods used for a custom shop LP and an LP studio than there is between an LP studio and an Epi.

A decent setup and a new nut are something that pretty much every production line Gibson I've played could have benefitted from.So yeah a new guitar shouldn't need that, but that doesn't mean it doesn't need that.

Whilst I'd rather not play a Les Paul, I'd look very closely about getting a loved, well maintained and hot rodded Epi rather than risk an off the shelf LP Studio that's come in from the UK distributers. YMMV.
post #64 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I doubt there's any less of a difference between the woods used for a custom shop LP and an LP studio than there is between an LP studio and an Epi.
Well, I made that statement about the level of playability specifically.
Sure, a customshop guitar has handpicked AAA+ grade wood, but it's still mahogany with a maple top... So it's still in the same ballpark... It shouldn't make a difference in playability. If you think an LP Studio is limiting your playability, an LP Custom is not the answer. That's what I wanted to say.
post #65 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Which is exactly what I'm saying about a hotrodded Epi vs an off the shelf studio; i.e. it gives it a run for its money.

They're both similar "level" guitars they just arrive at the same place through different routes.

Last edited by jono; 01-20-2008 at 03:01 PM.
post #66 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Which is exactly what I'm saying about a hotrodded Epi vs an off the shelf studio; i.e. it gives it a run for its money.
Yea, getting back on topic, I think the same can be said for RG vs Jem. I personally would never buy a Jem, because I can't justify the price difference.
I'd probably never buy an LP Custom either... an LP Studio perhaps... but so far I'm sticking to the Epi.
post #67 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

Sounds good to me
post #68 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 PM

I spent a few hours goin' back & forth between my '91 570 & my JS1200 and the RG is pretty damn nice. I switched out the pickups years ago and by dialing in just a bit more bass, I can get an assortment of fairly fine & trendy guitar tones.

I doesn't quite have the feel of the 'Joe' but it is a good second guitar.
post #69 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-20-2008, 11:25 PM

Alot of good information here, and sound advice. I've got to subscribe to the guys who posted about PLAYABILITY first and foremost. All of this, of course my opinion, but I was 14 quite a few years ago (too many actually) and have changed "tastes" in what and how I play many times. (I sincerely) think you will too. Try as many guitars as you have time for and base the exact sound and looks of a guitar 2nd and 3rd priorities.

Most important!!!! Whether it's skis, golf clubs, or especially a guitar. If you play one and say "I can get used to this one..." put it back on the rack and move on. How simple is that? I got this advice from a ski instructor 15 years ago and it's true. Play all kinds of guitars that FEEL like someone built it for YOU...unplugged and undistracted by looks and not knowing what the sound is (yet). Make notes of the exact guitar(s) that feel right, then plug em in and you're guaranteed to find one...trust me. The jem was my find. And I always avoided even trying one because of the stigma with an overpriced signature guitar. Take Vai out of it, it's the best guitar for ME because it FELT right. I'm not an exceptional player, but 2.5 times your age, experienced and broke from making similar mistakes!! Wouldn't it suck if your buddy picked up your guitar and made it speak magic because it fit him better than you and he didn't have to "get used to it"???? Just my honest opinion...Good Luck. BTW...don't forget to try a jem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #70 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your help.

case closed.
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:59 AM

So, what did you decide to get then?

You should get the new Ibanez EGEN, probably cover every base you need, and it's super badass. http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2008...t_mb_nd_or.htm
post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I don't agree with that.
I've been playing for about 13 years now, and my level of playing is reasonably high. I am not a mega-shredder, but I can play pretty much anything by Joe Satriani, and I can do quite a bit of Vai, Malmsteen and that sort of thing.
Wtf?? You can play pretty much anything by Satriani, but you're not a mega-shredder? Whats that supposed to mean?!!
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris101 View Post
Wtf?? You can play pretty much anything by Satriani, but you're not a mega-shredder? Whats that supposed to mean?!!
Well, I think there's a class above Satriani in terms of shredding... Guys like Rusty Cooley, Michael Angelo, Shawn Lane etc. They're way out of my league.
post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:23 AM

Reviews: 65

You have to decide on your own.

I for one have not found a single Suhr that I liked playing or sound wise. I much prefer my JEM and would not say it is quality wise below the Suhrs.
It all comes down to personal taste. You should develop your own taste and maybe find out that a Patrick Eggle is the guitar for you

Tags
acoustic guitar , alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , custom shop , custom shop gibson , digitech whammy , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , evo pickups , fat tone , fender strat , fretboard radius , gary moore , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , ibanez jem , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , locking tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall amp , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick eggle , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , rusty cooley , shawn lane , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat sound , string tension , suhr guitars , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode