Should i get a Jem V7? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Should i get a Jem V7?

to everyone that already owns a Jem

Is it really worth it? $2200?

and if you compare it to a RG1570 which is like $700, is the Jem "three times" better?

One more question, Gibson LP standard or A Jem?

Thanks for your attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 PM

Re: Should i get a Jem V7?

Firstly, I bought my jem7vwh 8 months before today and i tried prestiges too like 2550 etc. you know all. It doubles 2550's price. I paid about 283.000 JPY. Im sure it needs a very good setup. But it sounds, feels, plays really good. I'm not a professional about guitars its just my hobby. I had money and i bought it. I spent 2 hrs in shop tried all ibanez' and choose jem. Of course there are other brands in same or high quality than ibanez.
Secondly, LP and Jem are different in feel and sound.
I choose jem cause it fits my style.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 PM

It's not 3 times better!!!

It's 10 times better
post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:33 PM

Reviews: 65

I would simply say: It has to be worth 2 times the price for you.

I know one thing: I love my JEM. I love the Evo pickups and how they sound through the amp, the versatile sounds etc. I rarely pickup my other axes, as I can get almost all sounds I want with it. Plus I got a killer setup, from the man. I am even considering buying a second one, with Breed pickups.

So was it worth it? For me it was. This is one purchase that every cent I spent on, I am ok with.
Would I have been as satisfied with a prestige RG? For me a definate NO.

So you now have to ask yourself this questions and do whatever YOU think is best.

One thing though: Compared to Fender and Gibson Signature Models, the Ibanze ones are actually pretty cheap.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM

I suppose it's personal preference.
I have a friend who owns a Jem7VWH and an RG2570, but prefers the RG.

I personally am a Les Paul player, and only got into Ibanez because of the tremolo's on them. But I found an Ibanez with a similar fat sound and nice sustain, and it's just a more versatile guitar. Better value for money than a Les Paul, I'd say. But if you're looking for that Les Paul sound, you won't find it in a Jem or RG.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM

For starters, RG1570's are now going up to $799.

The RG line was made to be a scaled down affordable series under the Jem umbrella. The Jem is designed to be the ultra-stunt guitar and nicest guitar in the series (until you get to the J Customs which aren;t as regukarky available as the Jems or RGs ).

Will you be happier with a Jem over a Prestige RG? Only you'll be able to answer that.

Most RG owners own a Jem or two at some point and most Jem owners own one or more RG's at some point.

Decide on what features are important to you and which guitar will be more inspiring. Just a hint, try some of the Jemsite vendors with whatever you buy as the service is next to none as they know for and car about the guitars they sell far more than the average local dealer or online store. It can be worth a few extra bucks in some cases.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

A jem isn't "better" than an RG but it's all about economy of scale and the law of diminishing returns.

Overall the woods and hardware on the JEMs are usually thought of as higher spec, alder vs basswood, stock DiMarzio pickups rather than the generic IBZ types usually found on an RG. The JEM also has a slightly thicker neck which some folks prefer and some folks don't. Therefore as we've found out already some folks will say the JEM is 10 times better other will say it's not 3 times better. I guess both are right

What I would say is that if money were no object to me and I could only have one guitar (that had to be a standard mass produced one), it would probably be the JEM7VWH.

my own opinion is that the JEM7V is better than an RG1570. I prefer the scratchplate on the JEM, love DiMarzio Evolutions, like the pimped out white/gold colour scheme and prefer the thicker neck.

But I'll also say that at the moment, my main player is a 15 year old RG770DX. And I've got loads of more expensive guitars that most folks would think of as "better".

Personally, I don't really like Les Pauls. No other guitar design sounds quite the same, but that's the beauty of different guitars
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM

If you just have to have a JEM, then yes, go for it, but, personally, I wouldn't.

For example, my used RG550 ($450) does everything that any JEM I've played does.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnom250 View Post
Is it really worth it? $2200?
Yes!

Quote:
and if you compare it to a RG1570 which is like $700, is the Jem "three times" better?
No, easily 10 times better.

Quote:
One more question, Gibson LP standard or A Jem?
A Jem offcourse

Ibanez Jems play and sound just great. The best advice anyone can give you: Just try one and fall in love with them. Such lovely guitars.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosa View Post
No, easily 10 times better.
Why is it ten times better? Just wondering.
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Reviews: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by waylay00 View Post
If you just have to have a JEM, then yes, go for it, but, personally, I wouldn't.

For example, my used RG550 ($450) does everything that any JEM I've played does.
You cannot hold it by the handle . And the Jem can go a whole 5 points up with the whammy bar, but unless you wanna do that - it's comes down to the same. The jem will be made of alder if you choose the 7v, and with the pick ups designed to sound best with this beautiful guitar, you will get a tonal approach that no 550 could get. Also, i have to say that i prefer the necks on the 7v. They are thin too, but not as thin as the 550's. I think those are too thin, and they give away a lot of sustenance in tone - by comparison anyways.

Rg's are great guitars, but my suggestion would be that if you have the means for a Jem, i highly recommend it.
post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
You cannot hold it by the handle . And the Jem can go a whole 5 points up with the whammy bar,
So can a properly set up RG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post
but unless you wanna do that - it's comes down to the same. The jem will be made of alder if you choose the 7v, and with the pick ups designed to sound best with this beautiful guitar, you will get a tonal approach that no 550 could get. Also, i have to say that i prefer the necks on the 7v. They are thin too, but not as thin as the 550's. I think those are too thin, and they give away a lot of sustenance in tone - by comparison anyways.
I definitely agree with the fact about the neck, but I don't think an alder body + monkey grip + DiMarzio Evos + thicker neck equate to a $1200 difference

But this is my logical opinion. If you have to have the guitar like Vai plays, or the monkey grip, and you think $1200 is worth it, then by all means, go for it. To me though, it's not worth it, and that's why I'll probably never get a JEM (a new one at least).
post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:45 PM

There are actually some RGs made from alder.
Mostly mid-90s USA customs and the legendary RG570CT
post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 05:53 PM

I thought we all knew the score by now

The reason the JEM is priced THAT much higher is because it's an artists model, so the price doesn't mean the specs are valued at 3 times higher. And the RG being the budget JEM (in original intentions) means just that. The RG blossomed into a very diverse instrument and so has developed a huge fanbase.

As for JEM or LP....what sort of style do you play and what sort of tone are you looking for???
post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I thought we all knew the score by now

That slips my mind sometimes

You're right about how the RG blossomed and became an admirable instrument in it's own right.

With that said, you can find RG's in the same price range of the new VWH that could possibly (don't shoot me) be "nicer" guitars (nicer woods, blah blah) since there isn't an artist revenue tied to it. Just a thought and as always.... I shoulda let it gooooo.....

Get what inspires you. You are looking in the Prestige range so it would be hard to go wrong no matter what you bought for your $ IMHO.

Tags
acoustic guitar , alder body , basswood body , beautiful guitar , clean tone , coil split , coil splitting , custom shop , custom shop gibson , digitech whammy , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , ebony fretboard , edge trem , electric guitar , epi les paul , epiphone les paul , epiphone les paul standard , evo pickups , fat tone , fender strat , fretboard radius , gary moore , gibson les paul , gibson les paul studio , gibson les pauls , guitar shop , ibanez jem , jimmy page , joe satriani , les paul , les paul standard , les paul studio , les pauls , locking tremolo , maple fret , maple fretboard , marshall amp , monkey grip , neck joint , patrick eggle , pro edge , pro edge trem , pro edge tremolo , rusty cooley , shawn lane , signature guitar , sounding guitar , strat sound , string tension , suhr guitars , suhr standard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode