Should I get a new tech? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

19Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

Should I get a new tech?

I need to find a new guitar tech. My current tech is so opinionated. I told him before that I wanted to install a brass block and he said, they don't do **** and make the guitar dead, that I should stop reading idiots on the internet. I decided not to buy it since Steve Vai, Satriani and all these other guitar gods never use them. It's probably a gimmick.

Also, even if this guy agreed to install it, he'd probably quote me $150 lol

I bought a tremolo stabilizer ESP arming adjuster which is basically like the Ibanez backtop. I brought it for him to install and he was saying they can make things worse or whatever and that I'm crazy that there is nothing wrong with my guitar. I was thinking of leaving, but I left it for him to install it anyway. I don't plan on going back to him after this experience tho.

Why do they make these things then? They help with tuning stability and Steve Vai uses them. They ensure the return to zero point. They also help with double bends and preventing the whole system from going out of tune if a string breaks. These techs who are old and have decades of experience are the worst cause they think their word is a fact. They can reject your business since they don't need it.

The problem is hard to find a good tech in my area besides Guitar center or store techs. I'm still looking for another one. There is one who has good reviews but he's one hour away.

This guy is old and supposedly has been a tech for decades, I'm sure he has his opinion on things and he doesn't care to not be nice to customers since he has business.

I also get a feeling that he is lazy, he'd rather not do jobs that are hard since he doesn't need the money as a younger tech with smaller clientele, so he can reject the harder jobs or overcharge you for them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Re: Should I get a new tech?

Just learn to do it yourself. Simple.

And, for what it's worth, I think brass blocks sound worse than the stock blocks that the trems come with.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
Just learn to do it yourself. Simple.

And, for what it's worth, I think brass blocks sound worse than the stock blocks that the trems come with.
I'm watching videos on youtube on how to string and all of that, but they're not super detailed, like is it even possible to learn how to do your setups by just watching youtube lol
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 04:48 PM

Reviews: 3

Maybe he is opinionated and lazy; but think also that he is maybe giving you good advices due to his years of experience. I do my own settings and I agree with him in a pair of things. you are talking just about inexpensive Ibanezes. Imagine what Fender and Gibson users read about on the web and the mods that can ask his techs to do. Take it easy.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vy100 View Post
Maybe he is opinionated and lazy; but think also that he is maybe giving you good advices due to his years of experience. I do my own settings and I agree with him in a pair of things. you are talking just about inexpensive Ibanezes. Imagine what Fender and Gibson users read about on the web and the mods that can ask his techs to do. Take it easy.
he may be right but i dont like the way he goes about saying it

these are simple mods, a trem stabilizer can only make the system more stable and is adjustable
goregy138 likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 05:43 PM
Vendor

A trem stabilizer is only useful if you have an unstable trem, which usually means inferior quality, or there's a problem you're trying to fix with a device instead of fixing the problem.

I don't know how many people search out a backstop, put it in, and are so disappointed with how it changes the feel they end up pulling it out. I used to sell ESPAA's because they're actually a better design than the backstop, but I never recommended them, only had them for those that thought they wanted one. And most of the time after they installed it preferred the way the trem felt before. A stable trem never needs a stabilizer. I never understood why Steve was so addicted to his but he must have a reason.

The only gadget that even makes sense is a Tremol-no because you can make a trem into a fixed bridge, change tuning all around, return it to a trem whenever you wanted. It was like making 2 guitars out of one.

But then again I'm just an old opinionated tech
jono, jim777, peromucho7 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
A trem stabilizer is only useful if you have an unstable trem, which usually means inferior quality, or there's a problem you're trying to fix with a device instead of fixing the problem.

I don't know how many people search out a backstop, put it in, and are so disappointed with how it changes the feel they end up pulling it out. I used to sell ESPAA's because they're actually a better design than the backstop, but I never recommended them, only had them for those that thought they wanted one. And most of the time after they installed it preferred the way the trem felt before. A stable trem never needs a stabilizer. I never understood why Steve was so addicted to his but he must have a reason.

The only gadget that even makes sense is a Tremol-no because you can make a trem into a fixed bridge, change tuning all around, return it to a trem whenever you wanted. It was like making 2 guitars out of one.

But then again I'm just an old opinionated tech
A well setup trem is not going to prevent the string from going out of tune when doing double bends and the whole system going out of tune when a string break

Steve Vai uses them to prevent the system going out of tune, so he can continue playing until his tech gives him the backup guitar which also has the backstop

also, he tends to rest his hand on the bridge which I also do

the thing is adjustable, so if you're disappointed in how it feels, you can adjust the thing softer to have more mobility just like steve does, he has it soft while still benefiting from some better tuning stability and the ability to prevent the system from going out of tune when string break or double bends, he explains this here

he has this in all his touring guitars for this very reason.

I don't use the whammy bar much so I don't mind if it changes the feel, unfortunately, some guitars that we like and want, only come with floating systems

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Vendor

That's probably the best I heard him explain why he uses it in 5 seconds. You have to understand how hard you have to have it setup to prevent an unbent note from going out of tune. He's getting a little aide. Where he talks about it preventing warble from the other strings makes the most sense.

Break a string the backstop is doing little, unless again it's setup extremely hard. I've watched the show stop every time he's broken a string until he has a new guitar strapped on.
jim777 and CaptNasty like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2020, 11:38 PM

The backstop turns a beautiful smooth and stable trem into a stiff piece of crap, and in my experience it returns worse than without it. No experience with the brass blocks on Ibanez but Floyd roses have brass blocks as standard.
CaptNasty likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 03:29 AM

Sounds like he/she is willing to give you advice and share an opinion that comes from experience to hopefully save you $. I'd say that's a good tech, not just some jerk who is willing to let you throw as much $ at him as possible because the internet said something was needed or cool.

If you think a good tech is simply someone who listens to you and gives no advice or opinion in return, then those are a dime a dozen and usually found at Guitar Centers, but you already said those are the "good" techs haha

The tech has experience that you pay for, and it goes far beyond simple installation techniques. The advice and input they give is partly what you pay for, IMO. Only the ****ty and inexperienced ones don't have any input. Go find that young tech who knows nothing and will gladly take your $ to install redundant crap for ya. Those are easy to find.
peromucho7 and CaptNasty like this.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2020, 01:25 PM

Lightbulb Re: Should I get a new tech?

Guys,

This @Fowleri character has been banned from both Ultimate Guitar and The Gear Page. He publishes the same exact posts on all the forums.

He had this same thread running at The Gear Page earlier this week. He got the same exact advice being given here. He wanted no part of it. He is not doing it for any other reason than to get attention:
Quote:
I don’t like to consider myself as a real troll, but more of a troll by accident. A troll is someone who makes up stuff to make people think you’re an idiot, when in reality you’re quite intelligent and purposely trying to stir up emotions, make them angry, bring them to a lower level, etc

I don’t make online topics to make others mad, but rather to gain attention and feel like I’m being listened to. The difference with regular trolls is that I don’t make things up, is just my life and negative experiences.

I’m more a complainer and negative person than a troll, it just so happens that my complaining comes off as trolling but is 100% really the way I feel, not made up.
On Ultimate Guitar this racist/sexist rant contributed to his eventual "departure":
Quote:
Has anyone noticed this?

90-95% of guitar gods aka virtuosos are caucasian and from the first world.

Steve Vai
Joe Satriani
Guthrie Govan
Yngwie Malmsteen
John Petrucci
Buckethead
Marty Friedman
Jeff Beck
Paul Gilbert
Michael Angelo Batio
Eddie Van Halen
Shawn Lane

I could go on and on, yes there are exceptions to this rule, such as Jimmy Hendrix and other non-caucasians, but was Hendrix really a technical virtuoso like the men mentioned above? I don't think so. He wasn't technically as good as them.
He has also referred to children, teenagers, and women who play better than him as "freaks" for the simple reason that they make him depressed and jealous: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...ssing.2201889/. He posted an identical post on Ultimate Guitar in May 2020: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?t=2009789

He makes a habit of wasting FMs time by asking for help only to argue and reject the assistance that people have tried to give him.

Some on TGP argued that some were being too hard on @Fowleri , that he needed to be nurtured and taught. This is what he has to say about that:
Quote:
Why do I have this desire to get attention and trolling I never understood it but it must be from bad experiences in life and bad upbringing

Ive tried many times to overcome this and stop being like this online but I always revert back to my ways
You can see what JemSite is in for if you review his posting history on TGP and UG. He has already posted some of the topics here on JemSite that he got in trouble for over on the other forums:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...er_id=10574605
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/in...search/892380/

Since he is banned on both forums the posting history links could stop working if his account gets permanently deleted.

I would hate to see JemSite go through what we have endured over on Ultimate Guitar and TGP.

Last edited by CaptNasty; 12-06-2020 at 02:52 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Even as a long time member at TGP I’d not made the connection. It’s fine though, Darth Jono is not averse to destroying the odd planet when he needs to

Especially when that planet smells!!!
CaptNasty likes this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 02:13 PM

I like the ESP Arming Adjuster but for another reason. I use it on non-locking trems for easy downtuning. It keeps the trem level when I need to go to drop d or open g tuning during gigs. Much easier than hauling 4 or 5 guitars to a gig.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

What I find funny is how this person feels the need to be captain save a forum and constantly follows me all around the internet, supposedly "warning" others. I must be such a menace to internet forums and yet I'm just a regular nice guy who just has some anxieties and worries.

The ironic part is that he calls me a character without realizing he is one as well. He spent all his time compiling all these topics and writing a wall full of text with the purpose of "banishing" me from another forum. He probably gets kick out of it.

As far as I can tell, I haven't broken any rules in this forum. I've been a member longer than he has. I also didn't break any rules in those forums he listed either.

I simply asked questions about my concerns with certain devices, such as tremolo bridges, their tuning stability. I never attacked anyone, or singled out anyone, if anything, people were attacking me and making fun of me in the TGP forum for the smell issues which are REAL. I do have allergies and certain chemical smells trigger them, yet people think is all jokes and giggles, that are all made up to "troll" them.

Whether you believe me or not, or if you think the smell issue is trolling, it doesn't make it any less real for me.

The reality is that people don't like hearing others complain because they don't want to feel guilt or sympathy for them. They realize on an instinctive level that empathy for people who complain will only drag them down into the mire with them.

so they have to find a way to simultaneously deny them their aid whilst still believing themselves to be good, friendly wholesome people. The only way to do this is to imagine the person as a villain and troll who's responsible for their own misery.

Otherwise the nice, inclusive, tolerant "normal" person would have to face up to the fact they aren't nice, inclusive or tolerant at all.
goregy138 likes this.

Last edited by Fowleri; 12-07-2020 at 05:50 PM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-07-2020, 10:28 PM

Reviews: 120

I think the argument for or against brass blocks, or any other material block is extremely subjective. As someone already mentioned, Floyd Rose comes with a brass block as standard. It also features steel for other components. The edge is a pot metal block, and as I understand, similar materials for other parts of the trem that aren't subjected to heaps of abuse. The knift edges, posts, etc are steel.

Brass definitely made a difference on an Edge trem, in my experience. It makes the tone far warmer, which may be a downside. The Floyd Rose is steel already, so brass would help make the tone a little less harsh, compared to if the block were steel, etc.

I have both brass and Ti blocks on a range of guitars, and they all serve their purpose. They make a difference in my opinion, but my ears for good tone will vary with others. Plus a guitar's construction will also have an impact.

If you really want to try a brass block then buy one and install it yourself. It really is not that hard, and only takes a little time and planning, like measuring where your saddles are sitting, for intonation reasons. It's a simple thing, and you can even do it with the strings still installed if you are careful.

http://www.lonephantom.com/2010/08/i...ass-big-block/

Here's a simple tutorial I wrote years ago on my blog going over this very thing. It's not an Edge, but it's the same process.
aesthyrian likes this.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode