SHOULD I RETURN MY IBANEZ JS1000bp ? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2003, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

SHOULD I RETURN MY IBANEZ JS1000bp ?

I just bought a Ibanez JS1000bp from SamAsh.com. I got the guitar today and after looking it over I noticed a small surface crack in the paint of the body around the neck joint on the bottom side of the neck about a inch long. Do you think the guitar will be OK ? Should I send it back for a replacement ? I feel like I got a great deal on it, only 649.00 2002 model. Does anyone else own a JS1000 with a surface crack around the neck ? Will the surface crack effect the value of the guitar ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 01:56 AM

hi there,

these neck joint cracks are common on bolt on instruments and used to be quite common on JEMs before they moved over to the AANJ neck joint, i believe there is a good picture of it on the Jemsite neck page.

i am not really sure how often these cracks appear on the JS models as they have a slant neck joint (don't think it makes much of a difference) but i am sure that you can find plenty on fenders, JEMs, etc which use a full "block" neck joint.

these cracks are usually in the finish and are not very harmful but post a picture of the crack up and let Rich, Eddie or someone to have a look just to be sure
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 02:01 AM

Link to neck joint page on Jemsite - http://www.jemsite.com/axes/htm_features/neckjoint.htm
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 02:50 AM

Yeah, my RG550 developed a small crack there recently, but like EXCrosslink said, they should be limited to the finish only. I chipped the hell out of my guitar and the only damage was to the paint job. I wouldn't worry about it if you just bought it new...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 12:02 PM
EKG

That should just be a finish crack. No harm to the function of the instrument. BUT, if you bought it NEW, you you should receive NEW. Even a couple of my AANJ guitars have a neck joint finsh crack.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-07-2003, 12:05 PM
Vendor

Agreed, if you're buying new you want "new" condition. If it happens later down the road that's something else.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-09-2003, 11:32 PM

Of course, if this is a certian company that can be abbreviated MF, they're an absolute b!tch on returns... I agree that if you want a perfect guitar and think you're paying for one, then you should get one, but be prepared for a BIG hassle if you try to call them on it. It's the price you pay for dealing with the major mail-order chains.

Then again, was this a "scratch and dent" item? Or was it at that price because they're clearing out the '02 models? If it's the former, then you're stuck with it- they're sold as-is.

And seriously, if you're buying a guitar to play it, "value" should be the last thing you're concerned with... You're playing it, not selling it.

-Drew
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2003, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

This was a closeout on the 2002 models, I called the company I bought the guitar from. I was told it's up to me, if I wanted a replacement they would send me a new one. I just returned a Ibanez RG1570 from the same company. It had a defect in the frets it took forever to get the return credit back to me.

I seen the closeout on the JS1000bp and thought I would upgrade. I own a usa kramer pacer and a Jackson dinky reverse, they both have a small stress crack around the neck joint. both guitars play great. I really hate to wait on the return credit and my replacement to be shipped, I was told it could be the middle of april for my new guitar. Like you said I bought the guitar to play not look at. If I had'nt been playing for so long and did'nt know what to look for when your buying a guitar, I would have never seen the stress crack. You have to turn it upside down and catch the light right to see the the small stress crack. Now that I have played and own one, it's my number #1 guitar now.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:58 AM

SO............... stay with the guitar
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:29 AM

Yeah, definately. As long as it stays a cosmetic flaw... and if it grows, well, it's under warranty, right?

Not that i can afford another guitar right now, but if you could toss me a PM telling me where you saw this advertized, i''m kinda curious...

-Drew
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

I'm going to keep the guitar, if the stress crack grows then I'm sure Ibanez will work something out with me because I do have a year. The company I bought the guitar from is sold out of the JS1000's. From what they told me, I was the last order to fill, they had to back order mine. Thanks for all the help on stress crack.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Vendor

You'll find the stress crack isn't covered in the Ibanez warranty
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 01:15 AM

And why isn't it covered?

Because it is cosmetic...

I don't think any company in their right mind would cover anything like that in their warranty.

"Hey, I got pick scratches in the finish! Is that covered?"

Wouldn't that be nice!
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 01:26 AM
Vendor

Verbatum from a Chesbro card [it was handy, I don't feel like searching for a Hosh card.

This Warranty Does Not Cover:
A. Damage or defects due to alteration, misuse, abuse, normal wear and tear, extremes of temperature or humidity or abnormal strain.
B. Accidental or intentional damage
C. Damage in shipping
D. The repair or replacement of expendable items including, but not limited to, strings, tuning machines, or scratched pickguards
E. Normal fret wear
F. Plating on metal parts
G.Cracking or other damage to the finish
H. Any damage from accessories (synthetic straps etc.)
I. An instrument whose serial number has been defaced
J. Tonal characteristics (tone is a subjective matter and is not warranted
K. Any instrument purchased from other than an authorized Ibanez dealer [I wonder if they added that just for me?]

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

I am still waiting on someone to reply on their JS1000 with a stress crack. I would like to think that I am not the only one out there with a stress crack around the neck. What about you Rich, do any of your JS's have stress cracks

If Ibanez won't cover the stress crack, I still have 38 days with the company I bought the guitar from to return it.

Tags
aanj neck , aanj neck joint , edge pro trem , edge pro tremolo , hoshino usa , ibanez dealer , jackson dinky , kramer pacer , neck joint , pro tremolo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode