Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 269
Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

When you consider everyone from Kramer to Fernandes has/does fit sustainers to a range of guitars and of course the Jackson D2KS has one as standard. Is it time Ibanez followed the needs of the modern player and produced say an Sxxxx or RGxxxx with an optional sustainer?

Maybe a J-Custom with TOL inlay and sustainer as a limited edition model say as an anniversary model??

Is it a viable addition to the Ibanez stable? After all Ibanez started the 7 string revolution and produced some very good baritone models so why not a sustainer equipped model? After all the were the first to offer a reasonably priced MIDI pickup equipped guitar....
GuitarAkuma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:12 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 398
Talking Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAkuma
When you consider everyone from Kramer to Fernandes has/does fit sustainers to a range of guitars and of course the Jackson D2KS has one as standard. Is it time Ibanez followed the needs of the modern player and produced say an Sxxxx or RGxxxx with an optional sustainer?

Maybe a J-Custom with TOL inlay and sustainer as a limited edition model say as an anniversary model??

Is it a viable addition to the Ibanez stable? After all Ibanez started the 7 string revolution and produced some very good baritone models so why not a sustainer equipped model? After all the were the first to offer a reasonably priced MIDI pickup equipped guitar....
I think thats a great idea.. but i wouldnt consider Kramer and Fernandes much competition for Ibanez..
parker_fly is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:18 PM
site founder 0% owner
 
jemsite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: NJ - USA
Posts: 11,479
Reviews: 1
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

but they are competing in the marketplace where ibanez sells most guitars... glen
jemsite is offline  
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 12:43 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Wales,U.K.
Posts: 1,019
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

I personally think they should have put one on the new Jem model, but I suppose that would have made the price even higher. Perhaps if they offered it as an option that you could order on any new Jem that would be a good idea (although I don't know how practical that idea would be.We all know what Ibanez is like with ordering stuff).

I found this Jem VWH 'Sustainer Model' offered as a separate model on one of the Japanese Ibanez dealers website a few weeks ago.




If they can offer this model why can't some of the U.S. and U.K. dealers?

All the Best! JTM45.
JTM45 is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:18 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Santiago Chile
Posts: 1,644
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45
I personally think they should have put one on the new Jem model, but I suppose that would have made the price even higher. Perhaps if they offered it as an option that you could order on any new Jem that would be a good idea (although I don't know how practical that idea would be.We all know what Ibanez is like with ordering stuff).

I found this Jem VWH 'Sustainer Model' offered as a separate model on one of the Japanese Ibanez dealers website a few weeks ago.




If they can offer this model why can't some of the U.S. and U.K. dealers?

All the Best! JTM45.
Those guys modify the guitars themselves, it has nothing to do with Ibanez. Actually, some daring US or UK seller could do the same thing

I guess with SSV using the sustainer a lot these days, Ibanez has surely thought about it, so the surely can't or won't.
caprile is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 01:21 PM
Vendor
 
Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25,719
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprile
Those guys modify the guitars themselves, it has nothing to do with Ibanez. Actually, some daring US or UK seller could do the same thing
.
Can't keep VWH's in stock to begin with
Rich is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:32 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Indy, IN
Posts: 1,982
Reviews: 4
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

I find it hard to believe Ibanez can't work something out that would be cheaper than paying to have one installed. I mean you have to pay, what, $400 for the unit and installation? More?
Ekim is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 03:33 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: NB Canada
Posts: 3,467
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

What are these "sustainers" anyway?
Rotti is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:10 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Wales,U.K.
Posts: 1,019
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
What are these "sustainers" anyway?

Put very simply, it's a 'driver-unit' that goes in place of the neck pickup which causes a powerful magnetic-field which in turn causes the strings, when plucked, to oscillate/vibrate continuosly. The sound is picked up by the bridge pickup. It is basically a method of providing continuous and controlable sustain and feedback, as used to great effect by quite a few of today's leading guitarists, most notably Steve Vai.

There's a lot more to it than that but that's 'basically' what a Sustainer is.
JTM45 is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 398
Talking Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
but they are competing in the marketplace where ibanez sells most guitars... glen
good point
parker_fly is offline  
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 10:31 AM
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Posts: 258
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Yes! Absolutely!
I'd LOVE to have a jem with a Sustainer on it.
I say "go fot it!"
SRVoodoo is offline  
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:01 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 398
Talking Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

knowing ibanez they would put the $200 sustainer in and charge us $3500... :-)
parker_fly is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 12:24 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Odense S, Denmark
Posts: 9,952
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Seems like Gibson has jumped on the wagon too :

http://www.gibsoncustom.com/flash/pr...NealSchon.html

Regards

André

PS. I feel sorry for the Floyd .



fettouhi is offline  
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 02:02 PM
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Upstate N.Y.
Posts: 1,086
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker_fly
knowing ibanez they would put the $200 sustainer in and charge us $3500... :-)
bob mclaughlin is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 300
Re: Should Ibanez Follow The Competition And Fit Sustainers?

That gibson is minging! A floyd on a gibson????? Looks like ****. As for the sustainer thing, it would def be cheaper to do it yourself or have someone do it.
If you want one that badly i'm sure you'll find a way, but it would be cool if Ibanez could offer it as an option. Be cool if they could offer a lot of other stuff as optional as well.
leppermessiah is offline  
Reply

Tags
bridge pickup , equipped guitar , guitar tech , ibanez dealer , jem vwh , les paul , neal schon , neck joint , neck pickup , palm muting , steve vai , van halen

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sport you follow most 63Blazer Off-topic / Miscellaneous 21 04-19-2014 07:43 PM
Custom Installer for Sustainers or GK pickups? kirk Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 0 08-24-2008 07:50 PM
Which diagram to follow ? winger Pickups & wiring 6 12-07-2006 03:47 AM
sustainers again Praetorian Gear, Equipment, Recording & Off Topic 4 01-25-2006 06:47 PM
Sustainers ultra zone Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 1 04-29-2003 08:50 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome