A silly question but I have to ask... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

A silly question but I have to ask...

Is it possible to collect parts and put a Jem together and cut the cost like in half....I love the guitars but my wife will never let me spend that kind of cash right now.

Now I know you get what you pay for and the real deal is going to be very hard to match...with that said can it be done and where should I start...please don't flame I'm just trying to save some money and have a guitar that feels and sounds like a jem...

Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 11:55 PM

Re: A silly question but I have to ask...

Short answer, no. Most likely you will end up spending more.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:13 AM

Reviews: 4

well
depends
i paid about 1500 aus for mine all up
half price compared to the jem 555 (ive heard they suck big time?)

but honestly, i regret it kind of, i get it back this saturday (its taken a year)
and i dont even know if it will be good, i spent my own money, so if i hate it i lose out massively.

id rather buy one off **** or something

but i'd probably save up or just buy a guitar because, as you said - you get what you pay for, and im scared i will.

But im sure if you order a full custom off one person (not sims or anyone)
it sure be ko, except for turnaround time, i ordered from all over and so it might not even fit together!

hope this helps

cam-vai
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:22 AM

no you cant.a body and a neck you cant found.if you find it those are very expensive!
maybe if your very very lucky.but you have the risk parts dont fit.so dont think you can do it.otherwise everybody have done it that way.this is a price indication.it can be a litle lower.but also a lot higher!keep saving money.and buy a real one.sell some stuff around your house,some guitar pedals and things.sell your guitar.and next year you have a real jem,maybe cheap beat up one but one you have really fun with.
.body 500€
neck 500/750€
pickguard 50€
pickups+electr. 300
bridge 150€
tuners 50€
other parts 100€
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Contributor

Reviews: 14

I think it is possible but only if you wanted to have JEM7VWH. I did my own and save some money.

I paid $ 750 for good condition used JEM555WH then I sold 555 neck + all hardwares for $ 350

Then the body + pickups = $400
I bought new VWH neck = $500
Used in mint condition Gold Bridge + Tuner = $200

I paid totally $1100 for almost look alike 7VWH (pickup poles from JEM555 are black not golden like one they installed to original.)

But if wanted to buy a case, it would be $ 150 more and almost reach to the original used 7vwh price. But I did it because I bought a neck long ago and have no way to sell.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Reviews: 7

i don't know were you from but i the U.S you can get a jem for $800 and up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: A silly question but I have to ask...

A buddy of mine bought a chibanez type knockoff from the bay and thought he was getting a great deal. I tore him up for like a month, but...
I think he paid $400.00 with shipping, and case. It is nothing like the Jem that is an absolute fact. The thing doesn't even come close, however, for a $400.00 it's not bad. He's happy with his purchase, and feels kool being able to play a Jem like guitar. He's swapping out the pups, some of which he already has and so should probably have a decent player for around $700.00

Good luck bro...
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:41 PM

Reviews: 65

With the 7vwh used prices and mostly you can get near mint ones for 1000ish I would never go for the option of putting one together, as you wont save much and it may play worse...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:46 PM

I got a mint one about a year or so ago, maybe 2, for $1100. And I mean, it was mint. It wasn't setup right out of the store, the guy who bought had no idea what a setup was, so he thought he got a dud. I had it rocking in 30 minutes
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:01 PM
Contributor

Reviews: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAIBANEZ View Post
i don't know were you from but i the U.S you can get a jem for $800 and up.
Lucky you are, but JEM here in Thailand is another story... Funny that 7VWH is more expensive than US, but rare model like DY or FP are much cheaper than yours. :-)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 10:55 PM

I bought/sold two Jem 7VWH last year for under $1000, so if you are patient and vigilant, you can score one.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 01:30 AM

Reviews: 30

It may be possible to do so, but it will smell strongly of knock off. If you have played a real one, you will know the difference. If it is the real thing you are going for it will be hard to achieve. The smallest of things can have a huge and sometimes detrimental impact on the overall product. I would just save. Be patient, it will be worth it in the end. If you must build up, buy everything you can from Rich. He's got a keen eye for quality.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-29-2009, 02:59 AM

Either search for a used Jem cheap as the guys mentioned or buy a Prestige 1570 and upgrade the pickups and pretend it has slightly different frets and an alder body sound, etc.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-02-2009, 09:35 PM

If you build it will be cheaper than a jem new, but not used. I would only recommend building one if you want to make it your own and customize it. Im in the process of putting one together, but I am having it professionally painted, got extremely lucky on the neck (Brand new 7vwh neck for 150 USD!) and am having a trusted luthier help me piece the baby together Also like universal said buy from rich, I got most my parts from him.
So if you want a custom jem I would consider it, but if you just want a 7vwh or an already existing jem just save and buy it man. Also I would only consider building it if you have experience or have someone experienced that can help you.
Oh btw my project is going to end up about 1400 USD and as i mentioned i got extremely lucky on some parts, so buying used if definatly cheaper
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 PM

Reviews: 5

I tried to do this once upon a time; it is far more expensive to buy a guitar part-by-part, particularly if you're picky about what you want. Now, if you're willing to accept substandard stuff, then it'll be cheaper. But at that point, you're better off just purchasing a cheaper guitar in general.

Tags
jem parts question

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode