SK Clone project - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

SK Clone project

It's been a while since I did a project guitar, so instead of waiting for an SK to hit the market to complete my 777 trinity, I decided to go through to pain/fun of attempting to build a clone of one.

I've yet to start, but have an unfinished body on the way. I'm still in need of some major parts, like a neck with square heel. I can't seem to find something worth using out there yet. So, any direction towards getting a neck, even if it's an original 777 neck (any color) I may splurge for that.

I understand the hardest part of this build will be matching what is suppose to be the original SK color, even though most SK's vary from stages of life and fading, it appears to me the color that matches the best is the one that matches the pink on the neck pyramid.

I don't have may neons to play with, but from practice spraying on test pieces of wood over bright white, the heavier the coat, the more it changes to orange, so that can be somewhat regulated. There will probably be a lot of testing before actual painting will happen.

I'll keep a build log with pics here once started, but may abandon it early if it doesn't go well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Re: SK Clone project

I'm in. who doesn't like a good build thread that could end in disaster?!! I have faith in you though, should be a good one. I will keep an eye out for a neck whilst browsing the interwebz.
post #3 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 12:45 PM

Best of luck.I enjoy build threads
post #4 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, hope this goes well.

OK, sample/question #1.

Here's my Neon Pink spray shown up against an official DY, just to compare against the official fretboard.

LEFT: Spray applied over a bright white

RIGHT: Exact same spray applied over a different backing that I'll just refer to as secret sauce, until I get it right.

Neither sample has clear over it yet, and I do have some other Neon's coming in for test. But want you opinion on these. Of course the color comes out more neon in person.
post #5 of 125 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM

The one on the right looks way more correct. The poly clear that Ibanez used adds a yellow tint to a certain extent, which changes what many SK's look like in person. But if you see non-cleared SK paint, it looks like what you have on the right.
post #6 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Well I do plan on using poly as my clear coat. I notice the green in the trem pocket of SK's does have a yellowish tint to it. So, I think these are the two colors I'm going with, held up against an SK on my computer backdrop. Maybe the poly will bring it all together. I have a few coats of clear on this sample also.

post #7 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:12 AM

I'm in... Good luck with this man
post #8 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 07:37 PM

The biggest mistake I see on these is that the body color is mostly right but the claw is way too bright/neon. On all the production guitars, the claw is always very non-neon. The pink inside the claw on an LNG or DY looks nothing like an SK body. Similarly, the green inside the claw on an SK looks nothing like LNG.
post #9 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
The biggest mistake I see on these is that the body color is mostly right but the claw is way too bright/neon. On all the production guitars, the claw is always very non-neon. The pink inside the claw on an LNG or DY looks nothing like an SK body. Similarly, the green inside the claw on an SK looks nothing like LNG.
Yes! This is something I'm very conscious of. The color, on all 777's claws are a milk tone of the flourescent (that's the best I can describe it) and to me its all about the undercoat....what undercoat will give me that is what I need to find. Just as the spray I'm using, bright white primer does not give me the pink color I want, so I'm using a combination of bright white with a cool light blue to give it a more purple tone. This is all because I'm at the mercy of spray cans for this project, but I can make a decent finish with them, I've done it before.
post #10 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 08:16 AM

I saw this picture in an eBay auction and saved it because it's instructive.

That looks to me like what "real" SK actually is, which you can see under the nut and inside the neck pocket. The actual color of any SK guitar will be a combination of how much fading the guitar has and how much yellowing of the clear has occurred. The headstock is often more accurate because the clear is way thinner.

I had an SK that I sold that was smartly stored and had zero fading, but unfortunately the clear had yellowed enough that the guitar looked almost orange in a lot of lighting conditions. I ended up getting a different SK that has some light fading but no orange tint, so it looks much more pink.

Also, as a point of clarification, when I said "poly clear" I meant polyester clear, which is very prone to yellowing. That's why every old white Ibanez has that aged look.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-19-2014 at 06:32 PM.
post #11 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

As soon as I get almost all the material for this project an SK pops up on the BAY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-Jem-7...#ht_304wt_1402

Looks nice, but a few things about it pop out to me. Doesn't give a clear shot of the serial number but the last four digits are 1237, which puts it in the 1987 realm, as well as where the volume knob is.

Also, the pickups don't have the pin hole pattern of JEM777 pick ups (two on one side, one on the other), those may be EVOs in it. (EVOs are what I'm going to use in my project)

Either way , the price is shooting up on this one already. The neck pocket crack, and paint ding look official.
post #12 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 05:55 PM

Well the paint looks really nice on that guitar, despite the chip. Fretboard is pretty dirty, which I don't really like.

I somehow never paid attention to the pickup covers before. My '88 SK has two holes on one side and one on the other but my '89 PBK has just one hole per side, just like that guitar. It could be an '89 or very late '88. All my newer DiMarzio's have no holes at all, so those are probably original pickups.
post #13 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Hmm.. not sure, My EVO's have one hole. Anyway, nice guitar for whoever lands it. I'll move forward with my project and get an official in the future.

Anyway, on with the build.

I started some painting. I painted all of the cavity holes flat black and taped and covered them up. Put a light first coat of white primer on. It really makes the fraying area's stand out.

They claw sockets were not very smooth at all, so I'm filling them in with some wood putty to fill in the the cracks and grooves of that area and will sand them smooth.

Also I just put the trem sockets in....need to tape them up.

after this I will get a second coat of primer on.

I know I don't have the correct front route, but in the end it'll just be an extra plate in the back.

Last edited by LMDAVE; 08-08-2013 at 10:36 PM.
post #14 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Before you go any further, I'd smooth all those sharp edges. Compare that body to your DY. Also, the grip edge is not radiused correctly.
post #15 of 125 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I will smooth the edges out to match my 777, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the grip. As you can see, it lines up great with my DY

Tags
777sk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode