Small side dots on any other Jem other than DBK - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:44 AM Thread Starter

Small side dots on any other Jem other than DBK

After playing my 7DBK for a week, I noticed that the side dots are small and crappy looking. The double dots at the 12th fret are also crooked. When I looked at my 77FP or 7VWH, they are all big and lined up.

Is this one way to make this Jem less expensive. My RG570 and my old DT400 had these small crooked dots also. The only reason this kinda bothers me is because I use the side dots more than the front inlays for finger position.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 01:50 AM

haven't played a dbk.. but admitedly I use the dots myself... so I feel ur pain, I like easy to see dots. Would help if they were straight too... can't believe it would be like that on a Jem though.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 02:34 AM

I noticed this too when I first picked up my RG3120. They're about half the size of those on my Warmoth neck. Mine aren't crooked though. The Warmoth also has a full 1/4" thick rosewood board.

I'm thinking of drilling the teeny ones out and getting glow in the dark side dots from Stew Mac.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:26 PM

im not impressed with the side dots on my uv777bk
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:48 PM

I will agree with everyone here. More often then not (sad to say) the dots are crooked. I don't get it. Is it that hard to get em straight??
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamJem7
I'm thinking of drilling the teeny ones out and getting glow in the dark side dots from Stew Mac.
Ok, I just searched their whole damn site, where are the glow side dots???
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Ok, I just searched their whole damn site, where are the glow side dots???
Ooooops!.....Mea Culpa.

I know I was in a thread a month or so ago and saw mention of glow side dots. I assumed if they were available, SM would have the material.

Maybe I was on the LGM Guitars site instead!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 07:38 AM

lights!

or you could have all your side dots light up...that way you cant miss em! looks great too, especially if you get the front ones done too, they can even put lights in a vine inlay...its great..

www.simsled.co.uk

try that...youll like :P

Rob
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 08:32 AM

Dots on my BSB aren't exactly straight if I remember correctly...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 04:36 AM

Just out of curiousity I had a look on my dbk. Sad to say they are crooked on mine too...

- raijin
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 07:32 AM

Guess I just got lucky- all the side dots on my DBK are level with the fretboard and aligned perfectly between the frets.
I guess every now and then a good one has to slip by 'quality assurance'.

-Ben
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-10-2002, 11:25 AM

Reviews: 5
that's strange. Maybe that's because the neck on the DBK came from the stock of RG necks.

It's not that ludicrous to imagine that to make a DBK neck, they take an RG neck and inlay the screw head inlays instead of dots. Whereas with the other JEMs, the neck was a different profile and thus had to be done separately. My RG has crappy side dots too. On the other hand, my JEM7VWH's dots are bright white and seem to be in a perfect line.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 12:23 AM

My 7DBK also has crappy looking side dots and crooked ones at the twelve fret.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7vwh
that's strange. Maybe that's because the neck on the DBK came from the stock of RG necks.

It's not that ludicrous to imagine that to make a DBK neck, they take an RG neck and inlay the screw head inlays instead of dots. Whereas with the other JEMs, the neck was a different profile and thus had to be done separately. My RG has crappy side dots too. On the other hand, my JEM7VWH's dots are bright white and seem to be in a perfect line.

Where are some DNA owners and JEM90HAM owners? they have the same neck as the DBK, how are those side dots?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-23-2002, 07:08 AM

The dots on my Jem90HAM are very small, they sit low [3/4] in a thick slab of ebony. Almost all are lined up perfectly, the dots at the 1st and 3rd fret are a bit off. The 3rd being too high, the 1st too low.

To be fair, on first sight, it doesn't look as perfect as the sidedots on my DY. Those are bigger, where the maple fretboard has the same thickness as the HAM. Despite their size, the white on ebony dots jump out more than the black on maple. The Dots on both guitars are perfectly round.

However, after closer inspection it appears that the dots on the HAM are better centered with respect to fretspacing although the dots on the DY are better centered in the thickness of the board [am I making sense here??]

Note that the Jem777DY has no 1st fret sidedot, where the Jem90HAM does.

Tags
lgm guitars , maple fret , maple fretboard , rosewood board , sam ash , warmoth neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode