Small troubles with new Universe - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Small troubles with new Universe

I just got a new UV777BK in the mail a few days ago. I love it, it's the best guitar I've ever played.
There is one problem I am having with it though, maybe someone here has a fix for it.
The neck of the guitar seems to weigh more than the body (this guitar is extremly light). The problem is that when I am playing standing up, the neck slides downward and the body slides upward. With most guitars I have played, the body is heavy enough to where the neck is always at an upward angle. With the universe, I have to hold the neck up to keep the upward angle. This makes it very uncomfortable to play after a while. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any suggestions to help? Thanks everyone.
-Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 05:57 PM

Rest your arm on the guitar. there is no magic fix, i took my guitar apart and quickly realized that the UV neck is just freakin heavy. lots o maple went into making those things. Just get used to having your arm rested on the guitar.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

I'll give that a try. I may also try putting a small weight on the strap close to the body of the guitar, that may help even things out. Thanks for the info.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2003, 07:16 PM

Have you tried putting dimarzio cliplock straps on there?

They kinda move the "mounting points" of the strap. Might help. But the downside is the clip on the body tends to scratch.

wil..
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:26 AM

I had an Epiphone firebird like that. The body was mahogany and alder, and the neck must have been concrete or lead or something. Traded it for an RG320 to mutilate and learn to do inlays on.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 01:37 AM

Try a wider strap too...sometimes it helps to grab your shoulder a bit more and not move so much...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 09:35 AM

The neck on that guitar is one of the finest on the planet....learn to deal with it. In time, you will appreciate the extra mass, it takes an act of God to knock that guitar out of tune once you dial it in. Fantastic neck, man what a great neck...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

I agree, I wouldn't change the neck for the world. It plays great, and I tune it very rarely, the neck is very very cool.
I'll try the thicker strap idea, though the strap I'm using now is already pretty thick and wide. I have considered getting strap locks, but I'm not sure if I want to yet. Thanks for all the ideas guys.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 06:41 PM

Are you using a leather strap? In as much as I don't prefer that myself at all (ClipLocks all the way...) a leather one will bind on your clothing much more, and allow you to position the guitar and have it more or less stay put there...
Worth a shot, if you're using some type of slippery strap currently...
Use some type of straplocks on there, if you're not already...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 06:57 PM

Never had the problem...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texter
Never had the problem...
Can't say that I have either with my UV, but wood can vary greatly in density within the same species...so maybe he got a body from a batch of pretty porous basswood, in which case it probably resonates like a mother.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-07-2003, 12:20 AM

Ditto... a leather strap was enough to make my RG7620 hold position...

-Drew
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

I am using a leather strap, and I've learned over the last few days to compensate, so it isn't much of a problem anymore. In response to an earlier post, this neck does "resonate like a mother".
This thing sounds like an acoustic guitar when it's not plugged in. It's the loudest guitar while not plugged in that I have ever played. I love it, I get wonderful sustain through the amp. I can't wait to get another guitar from the Jem/Universe family.
Thanks again for all the help guys.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch
Have you tried putting dimarzio cliplock straps on there?

wil..
Actually...I've found the Dimarzio strapping material to be more prone to sliding than actually retaining or balancing the instrument.

On six strings they're just the king for Ibanez RG bodies in my book.

The cheap Levys straps use a coarser material which tends to provide a little more grab. This works out fine as long as you don't play shirtless....which i can assure you...nobody wants to see in my case.

A good leather strap should do well too.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 09:30 AM

Yeah, I noticed that when I took my UVMC apart. The body weighed next to nothing, but I could have used the neck alone to kill a man.

Tags
acoustic guitar , cliplock strap , cliplock straps , dimarzio cliplock , dimarzio cliplock strap , dimarzio cliplock straps , dimarzio strap , strap lock , strap locks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode