So here's my Problem: - I snap strings at the bridge everyda - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

So here's my Problem: - I snap strings at the bridge everyda

Yup. *Never fails. *Always right at the bridge. *
Why the heck does this happen? *Anyone got any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:43 AM

So here's my Problem:

Think of the physics of it. *A string will break for one of two reasons:

The first is that there's too much pressure pulling it length-wise. *This is more common with over-tightening or making the high E a high B.

The second is that there is a force acting upon the string and causing a weakness. *This sort of thing is usually found in one general location, like the bridge. *Since it's happening fairly often then I'm assuming that there's something non-standard acting upon the string at the bridge and causing a break.

Check the saddle for any sharp points. *A burr in it can cause this and my best bet would be as such. *If you find the burr or sharpeed area the obvious answer is to smooth it over in some way. *A small metal file would be advised. *A Dremel with the right attatchment could make short work of it but I'd be reluctant to go so potentially overboard so quickly. *Your other option would be to replace the saddle entirely. *I'd only suggest this as a last ditch effort.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 11:51 AM
Vendor

So here's my Problem:

There's a third common cause for breaking string and that's too hard and steep a pick attack. [the only time I ever break a string is when I get too sloppy and heavy with my right hand] The last way, metal fatigue, I'd consider isn't the problem if you're changing the string everyday.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 01:01 PM

So here's my Problem:

What bridge do you have?Are you using a metal pick?How often do you change strings?All my guitars have lo-pros.I have encountered the burr in the saddle problem(7vwh).After gently filing the offending saddle(low e),no more problems.The only time I break a string is when I get lazy and don't change them regularly.A freind uses a metal pick and regularly blows out the low strings,though he is pretty heavy handed.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

So here's my Problem:

I'm playing a 777vbk, obviously with a lopro edge trem.
I guess I don't break strings every everyday, but a couple of times a week....different strings, but always right at the saddle.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 04:04 PM

So here's my Problem:

Wow dude,you must be a playing maniac to break them that regular.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

So here's my Problem:

no man, not at all. *okay, I'm very Vai'ish, in that I use the bar alot. *But its still no excuse for breakage on every string at the same area. *I can't remember the last time I broke a string away from the saddle.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 05:40 PM
Vendor

So here's my Problem:

Is the trem angle correct? If it's not it puts extra stress at the bend of the string at the saddle.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

So here's my Problem:

hmmmmmmm..........
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-28-2002, 08:07 PM

So here's my Problem:

Excellent point Rich.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-04-2002, 07:01 PM

So here's my Problem:

This is more than likely irrelevant, but I'll divulge regardless. *I too had problems when I first got my 7vwh. *I was using Daddario .10's at the time, and was snapping strings once a week. *I was jamming with a buddy who just finished up at GIT, and he suggested that I try his newest discovery: ghs boomers. *I switched, and haven't snapped a string in ages. *This probably doesn't relate in your situation, but who knows? *
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:02 AM

So here's my Problem:

I dont know, but Boomers do kick * *I use em and rarely break strings. *On the other hand, I used a set of Ernie Balls once a few months back and broke 2 within 3 weeks....

Rich does have a good point though, check the trem angle. *Too much of a downward angle puts mega stress on the strings.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

So here's my Problem:

well, the bridge sits above guitar level, just like in the pix showing the way its supposed to be on the site. *I'm thinking there's some crud in the saddles. *2 strings in 3 weeks?? bwaahahahaha!!! *That would be an accomplishment worth documenting for me. *:biggrin:

Pardon my ignorance, but what are boomers?
(seems like every topic that comes up, I'm the guy askin whats this mean, whats that mean!! Sorry folks!)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 01:15 AM

So here's my Problem:

GHS Boomers, just a different brand of nickel wound guitar strings. *Everyone has a different preference when it comes to strings, but Ive been happy using these for years. *They sound bright and full, and seem more resistant to breakage.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-05-2002, 02:52 AM

So here's my Problem:

I've been using DR's,can't remember last time I broke a string.Probably when I had the burr in the saddle problem.

Tags
edge trem , ernie ball , ernie balls , low strings , pro edge , pro edge trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode