So I started a new OMC guitar build..have a question. - Page 2 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: So I started a new OMC guitar build..have a question.

oops I used two pack clear on mine, Im gonna have to be careful when drilling holes for the scratchplate. Will let you know how i go on. sounds like a job for a sober hand and a keen eye. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure with the new drill bits and following Rich I can get it done. I'll bust about 20 practice holes between now and the time I'm ready to drill the swirl body.
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Jem_FP View Post
Hell. I just realized i've got a junk metal flake RG570 body in the garage at home that I can practice drilling the piss out of
When you're done, can I have it?
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Smile Re: So I started a new OMC guitar build..have a question.

Quote:
It's what he stated in an Email when inquring. I sent another Email just to make double sure. I can already tell this is going to be a hassle.
Drilling before swirling is harder due to water entering the holes and expanding the wood. I would clear first, then drill after. If your using Nitro, your gonna have a LONG time before it cures anyway, so it will be soft and not chip as bad.

I was using Nitro to clear, but it literally took several months to get cured enough to play on. I would suggest having someone else do the clear. After clearcoating, you need to wetsand, and buff it also. Swirls have varying degrees of thickness in the color coat(swirl) and dont look that great unless they are wetsanded/buffed out.

Last edited by dgbaker33; 06-12-2009 at 01:54 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nato101010 View Post
When you're done, can I have it?
Sure.
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbaker33 View Post
Too bad, i have one ready to go.

Drilling before swirling is harder due to water entering the holes and expanding the wood. I would clear first, then drill after. If your using Nitro, your gonna have a LONG time before it cures anyway, so it will be soft and not chip as bad.

I was using Nitro to clear, but it literally took several months to get cured enough to play on. I would suggest having someone else do the clear. After clearcoating, you need to wetsand, and buff it also. Swirls have varying degrees of thickness in the color coat(swirl) and dont look that great unless they are wetsanded/buffed out.
I'm going to use a urethane clear. Talking to the swirl'er there's no need for nitro.
He's also told me the method to use on clearing the swirls which is to spray a quick coat just for a light base, let it flash and keep doing that until there's a good layer of clear before clearing it like normal. Apparently it's an enamel based swirl.

Here's my last etempt at painting/clearing/wet sanding and buffing.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/at...ide-90969.html

Last edited by Aaron_Jem_FP; 06-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I'm going to use a urethane clear. Talking to the swirl'er there's no need for nitro.
He's also told me the method to use on clearing the swirls which is to spray a quick coat just for a light base, let it flash and keep doing that until there's a good layer of clear before clearing it like normal. Apparently it's an enamel based swirl.

Here's my last etempt at painting/clearing/wet sanding and buffing.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/at...ide-90969.html
Nice work on the atomic! I was under the impression that you were having someone else to the clear... My mistake. I do the same procedure when clearing, although i wetsand it to level it out, then clear it again.
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

I planned on having someone do the swirl, but since it doesn't seem like it needs anything special then I will try it. Worst that can happen is I mess up and have to get it re-swirled. Might as well give it a try. Someday i'll learn to swirl but right now I don't really have the time.

I was going to wet-sand in between clear coats on the orange one but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I was able to get it pretty smooth and didn't burn thru any where. On the swirl i'm going to lay LOTS of clear on it and really polish the hell out of it. The orange has 5 coats on it and I probably polished off (just guessing) maybe 3/4 to 1 coat (?-have no clue really).

After the initial mist coats on the swirl i'll probably lay down 8 coats of clear or more and then start the polishing. What's your thoughts on that? More/less?
post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I planned on having someone do the swirl, but since it doesn't seem like it needs anything special then I will try it. Worst that can happen is I mess up and have to get it re-swirled. Might as well give it a try. Someday i'll learn to swirl but right now I don't really have the time.

I was going to wet-sand in between clear coats on the orange one but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I was able to get it pretty smooth and didn't burn thru any where. On the swirl i'm going to lay LOTS of clear on it and really polish the hell out of it. The orange has 5 coats on it and I probably polished off (just guessing) maybe 3/4 to 1 coat (?-have no clue really).

After the initial mist coats on the swirl i'll probably lay down 8 coats of clear or more and then start the polishing. What's your thoughts on that? More/less?
8 coats should be enough. Alot of it depends on the swirl. If it has spots where the paint is thick and others that are thin, the clear will follow that and have a textured look. Thats why i prefer to spray 6-8 coats, then block sand it flat, then re clear with 2-3 more. Its more work, but the end result is better...
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm. That's a good idea. I'm looking to make it smooth and glass. I don't mind the extra work. I got no kids in the house for next 2 months!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode