So Im torn between what guitars to get now. - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

So Im torn between what guitars to get now.

I used to want a les paul, until I started listening to a lot of prog shred a la vai, satch, EJ, YJM, and dream theater. I sitll listen to a lot of talentless hardcore and indie rock, though. Ive never been into tremelos....for my current guitar is a TOM hardtail. Im wondeering if when my playing progresses, since Im really into this metal stuff and attempting faster playing now, if I may want a tremelo int he future. What do you think?

So Im thinking of a guitar with a faster neck [unlike finished les paul necks]. I also want just 2 humbuckers. I was looking at the JS series, since satch has incredible tone and technical work. I want to spend like $650 either new or used it doesnt matter. I was thinking a lower JEM model, since i worship vai, but I think that is out of my price range. Im just not sure what to do. I know I just need to go out and play guitar, but Im not sure what I should go out ant try. Please direct me. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 11:59 PM

If your into Les Pauls, I think you'll like the Satch guitars.

They are curvy and comfey like a Strat, but they sound like a hot rodded
Les Paul...and plenty better feeling IMHO.

Also, the Jem necks are rather thin compaired to a Les Paul and might be
a bit of a system shock to go from one to another.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:05 AM

If you're not sure about the trem, you could always either block it until you feel like experimenting with it, or just get a JS2000.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 11:18 AM

well i love my js.

when it comes to your price range im not shure what u can do with that coz u def dont want a js100(trust me i had 1)

i personaly find the js necks nicer than the jem necks(but the jem necks are so nice 2)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 02:16 PM

I was kind-of in the same dilemma. I'm a former LP devotee

I was looking around for a Gibson Les Paul, already had a nice Hohner LP copy, and then started looking into Ibanez guitars because some of the S-series are quite sexeh. I had almost decided on an SC420 (twin HB, stoptail, lovely guitar) when the a young salesman handed me a JS100 and suggested I try it.

I wasn't a huge fan of Satch, but I liked "always with me, always with you" and admired his technique so I tried the JS100 and was pleasantly surprised! Tonally it was better than the SC420 (and possesses a far greater tonal pallete than any LesPaul bar the Jimmy Page Sig.) and the whammy bar didn't get in the way so I was impressed.

I looked into getting the JS1000BP, since I'd seen it online as the next one up from the JS100, and I hate the "Satriani" 12th fret inlay! I then almost got the JS900BP by mistake, thinking it was the same as the JS1000BP but 2 days before delivery I realised my error and after some last minute negotiating (during which Coda-Music were understanding, extremely helpful and generous) I got a JS1000BTB for little more than the retail price of a JS900BP! I was shocked, relieved, and extremely chuffed.

When it arrived I picked it up and was awestruck by the finish (had never actually seen it - bought it on faith!) and when I plugged it in I realised it was without doubt one of the finest guitars I'd ever layed hands on.

Is it a Les Paul? Nope. But it sounds enough like one, and can also sound like a Strat.

I still want to get a Les Paul, because deep down that's always been my dream guitar, but I'm pretty sure the LP will be my backup guitar since I'm already happy gigging with my sexeh JS1000BTB

I don't use the trem very much, but it's a lo-pro edge and doesn't get in the way at all, and resting your palm on it doesn't alter the pitch. I occasionally dabble with it, and I'm glad it's there in case I ever decide to develop my whammy abilities seriously.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm occasionally gets cheap JS1000's in, and there's always eBay and private ads. The JS1000, whether it's a BP or BTB, is a beautiful guitar, and it feels good to play.

Save up a little longer and keep your eyes open for one 2nd hand.

Sorry for the big momma post but I love this guitar and it's an easy transition to go from a Les Paul to a JS, I can't recommend it enough!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

how much should I expect to pay for a used js1000BTB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrpoop
I was kind-of in the same dilemma. I'm a former LP devotee

I was looking around for a Gibson Les Paul, already had a nice Hohner LP copy, and then started looking into Ibanez guitars because some of the S-series are quite sexeh. I had almost decided on an SC420 (twin HB, stoptail, lovely guitar) when the a young salesman handed me a JS100 and suggested I try it.

I wasn't a huge fan of Satch, but I liked "always with me, always with you" and admired his technique so I tried the JS100 and was pleasantly surprised! Tonally it was better than the SC420 (and possesses a far greater tonal pallete than any LesPaul bar the Jimmy Page Sig.) and the whammy bar didn't get in the way so I was impressed.

I looked into getting the JS1000BP, since I'd seen it online as the next one up from the JS100, and I hate the "Satriani" 12th fret inlay! I then almost got the JS900BP by mistake, thinking it was the same as the JS1000BP but 2 days before delivery I realised my error and after some last minute negotiating (during which Coda-Music were understanding, extremely helpful and generous) I got a JS1000BTB for little more than the retail price of a JS900BP! I was shocked, relieved, and extremely chuffed.

When it arrived I picked it up and was awestruck by the finish (had never actually seen it - bought it on faith!) and when I plugged it in I realised it was without doubt one of the finest guitars I'd ever layed hands on.

Is it a Les Paul? Nope. But it sounds enough like one, and can also sound like a Strat.

I still want to get a Les Paul, because deep down that's always been my dream guitar, but I'm pretty sure the LP will be my backup guitar since I'm already happy gigging with my sexeh JS1000BTB

I don't use the trem very much, but it's a lo-pro edge and doesn't get in the way at all, and resting your palm on it doesn't alter the pitch. I occasionally dabble with it, and I'm glad it's there in case I ever decide to develop my whammy abilities seriously.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/used.htm occasionally gets cheap JS1000's in, and there's always eBay and private ads. The JS1000, whether it's a BP or BTB, is a beautiful guitar, and it feels good to play.

Save up a little longer and keep your eyes open for one 2nd hand.

Sorry for the big momma post but I love this guitar and it's an easy transition to go from a Les Paul to a JS, I can't recommend it enough!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 10:17 PM

Hmm, not sure tbh! I checked eBay and found a JS2000 going for $810

ebay link removed

but otherwise I have no idea.. I'd guess you'd be looking at around $1000 for one in good condition, maybe $900 if you were lucky.

I just wish that guitar was in the UK - that's less than £515

I want it.. I also just saw a chromeboy for just over $1600.. fair enough it will probably get bidded higher, but that's so cheap.. a 2nd hand chromeboy in the UK goes for around £3000! ($4720!!)

You're lucky in that you have a larger 2nd hand market from within which to source a JS1000

EDIT: I used $ signs but I was thinking in £'s on the 2nd hand JS quotes - You could pick one up for as little as $800, but I still think a mint condition BTB could hold it's value and cost up to $1000.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Vendor

Anybody else think a distributor selling direct on ebay is just slightly left of FAIR?!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2002, 11:48 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
ibanez needs to crack down on chesbro ebay auctions. that is a terrible precedent to set... glen
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:00 AM
Vendor

Ibanez needs to level the playing field. You've got half the country that can post online adds, sell on ebay or Yahoo, etc., and the other half that will get their dealership priviledges revoked for doing the same thing. Compound that with the distributor itself selling on ebay. And don't let that "retail operation" crap make a difference, just because there's a retail store located at the distributor doesn't make it any more fair when they sell online. The "stores" inventory IS the distributors inventory, no matter how you slice it.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:09 AM
site founder 0% owner

this is terrible, yet it will be interesting to see what, if anything is done about the situation. ibanez needs to smarten up in regard to providing dealers with a level playing field... glen
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

We had a similar problem a few years ago. A company called FCN was the official Ibanez importer and distributer, they had a shop on site simply called "FCN Retail" They got first dibs on all the good guitars, from Multi-colours to the USA custom graphics as well as a healthy supply of spare JEM necks available for resale that you guys were never fortunate to have available.

Of course there was no ebay back then, but the same sort of bias still applied.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 12:14 PM

Woah.. opened a can of worms with that link, sorry guys!

I wasn't aware that distributors aren't supposed to auction stock, but it does seem a little off.. I hadn't realised that was a distributor selling btw, all I saw was a JS2000 for a ridiculously cheap price and I kinda glazed over with lust

What you're saying is true though - the rules should apply to every company equally, regardless of size or location.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:40 PM

Well, I got home from work today and my wife had a poster that said, "Roses are red, Violets are blue, just to say thanks, I bought a Satriani for you" - yep, she bought me the Ches. 2000CG. I didn't think twice about the auction since it is sold as a "used" instrument. Am I wrong in assuming this is "fair" since the guitar has some wear and has appareantly been used? I understand the inequity of allowing some dealers to sell online in manners that others are not, but can someone explain how this particular instance is different than Ches. selling a 5 year old piece? Is this just a "demo" or a "blem" and if so, should I insist on a warranty? Help me out here so I don't feel guilty about participating in an unfair practice. Z
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-17-2002, 05:43 PM

I just read the auction details and saw that the "warranty is good" so I am assuming that it never left the shop. I'll call them and get the full story. Z

Tags
beautiful guitar , fret inlay , gibson les paul , ibanez guitars , jem neck , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , neck joint , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode