so whats this about new JEMs being not as good as older ones - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

so whats this about new JEMs being not as good as older ones

so I'm doing my research here and hearing a little about how new JEM's aren't as good as older models

I'm thinking bout buying a new JEM 7VWH...am I gonna have trouble with this guitar not staying in tune?

should I be considering buying a used JEM instead? if I pay $1600/$1700/$1800 or whatever its gonna cost for the guitar I expect it to be solidly built with no problems and even frets, etc

I appreciate the feedback...I apologize if this topic has been covered a bunch of times before
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 06:53 PM

I can only say that my 2000/1 77FP is totally sweet-no complaints-a better player than my DNA, but that just needs tweaking.
Don't be afraid to buy new.

Guy
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 06:56 PM

It's that bad crack that seems to be going around.

Quality and performance remain very high with the JEM and Universe lines.

Looking for a VWH? *Contact Rich Harris' Ibanez Rules. *
Best deal (and setup) on the planet.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 07:04 PM

I'd also like to chime in with my bit of advice on buying a new Jem. *There are some physical differences between Jems of yesterday and today, but not quality issues. *Any quality issues can be quickly addressed and corrected through warranty service.

Another point I'd like to make is that while Rich can offer great customer service you may be able to save yourself a significant amount of money if you buy used. *Watch eBay for a week and you're sure to find a used Jem7VWH in mint condition for under $1200. *You'll be sacrificing the high degree of customer service, but these guitars are pretty reliable and if you get it in mint condition you shouldn't have a problem with it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 07:10 PM
Vendor

I'd like to second what Kirk said, you can save considerable dough on any *current* production model by buying used.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 08:26 PM

You might also want to check the "used" page on Rich's webpage...

Gee Rich, do I get a discount for the shameless plug there? *:biggrin:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 08:53 PM

I forgot the used page, that's a good place to start looking. Ibanez Rules

You still sacrifice warranty servoce, but Rich is a great guy who will follow through with his service.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 09:07 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Quote: from oooo on 8:26 pm on July 31, 2001

Gee Rich, do I get a discount for the shameless plug there? *:biggrin:
If that was true I'd owe most of you guys a DNA by now :biggrin:

No 7vwh's on that used page, been waiting for a mint one from Costa Rica but it seems to be lost. It was already sold if and when, but if and when is starting to look bleaker and bleaker (wouldn't be as bad if it didn't have a mint UVGR with it)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 09:44 PM

AJ,

Just wondering where you read or heard that today's weren't as good? *I mean, they're totally different now: *electronics, AANJ, even the necks. *I really think the quality is still as good, if not, better. *Every new JEM has had to have Vai's approval, so they can't be slipping, unless Vai's slipping, and I don't think anyone thinks that! *What has been covered before is the $$$ you can save buying used. *It make take awhile (then again, it used to take 6 months for a new one!), but with all the support and information you can find here, you can fix any minor adjustment once your guitar arrives. *Check out Rich's tech section as well as jemsite's.

For used JEMs, look here, and IbanezRules.com, and HarmonyCentral.com.

And let us all know which model you DO buy!

Chris

(Edited by HIS ROYAL DARKNESS at 12:48 am on Aug. 1, 2001)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-31-2001, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies......i had heard such rumors from a few musicians i know and from "reading between the lines" on forums other than this one, but you know the musicians i know have older models so maybe its a case of "mine is the best" kinda thang

yep i recognize one can save dough buying used but i kinda like the idea of having a guitar new where I'm the only one who ever owns it, plus the customer service is very nice

so I think I'm gonna get a new JEM 7VWH, now I just gotta save up the $$ for it!!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 11:44 AM

I've owned many old and new JEMS...and I'd have to say the quality seemed to be acceptable on most all...the worst case being a 91 BFP with possibly the worst fret scallop I've ever seen to a dead mint 90 DY, 00FP and 00VWH which were all immaculate. *

When you hear people saying the new ones just aren't as good as the old ones, you really are hearing folks create the vintage/collector's market. *Just look at Gibson, Fender,Martin, they all have people saying the same things...the 56 tele or the 59 LP can't be beat or the pre-war Martins. *

My bottom line is whether it's an older or newer model, try to play it if possible or ask someone about it's tone. *Each piece of wood sounds different wheter it's Ibanez, Martin, Taylor, Gibson or Fender. *When you find one with that killer tone, buy it regardless of year and hold onto it. *

Honestly, I've had the chance to plug in about 9 DNA's and you wouldn't believe the tonal variety coming from a run of only 300 guitars. *So my opinion is Good Wood = Ear Wood if you know what I mean....Happy Hunting.

JC
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 12:23 PM

Warranty? *We don't need no stinking warranty!

OK, so that's not true. *IBZ USA has come through for me in the past.

I'd say the whole "not as good as they used to be" deal is horse-pucky. *The Jem is a different beast than what it once was. *Manufacturing processes have evolved. *I'm sure they're not built exactly the same way LNG #1 was, but that doesn't make it any less of a Jem, (read this next part in your best Mike Myers Scottish accent) unless it's a 555, then it CRRRRAP!!!

(Edited by BloodySwirl at 12:26 pm on Aug. 1, 2001)
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2001, 05:22 PM

new ones are better....imho. *necks are thinner, pickups are better; no mud. *that's just me though.

Tags
production model

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode