So what's so DIFFERENT on those old Universes? What makes them so awesome? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Question So what's so DIFFERENT on those old Universes? What makes them so awesome?

Well, it’s something beyond my comprehension, I must say. I own a ‘96 Ibanez Universe UV7BK “green dots” for about 1 year and a half, and the more guitars I play, the more I love this UV. Surely there is something different with these old Universe models.

This week I had to play with some friends, some light stuff, and I bought just my UV. A guy plugged his guitar (a japanese Fender Stratocaster, I guess) into a cheap 30W amp. The sound was horrible, and he said “eh, this amp sucks”. Another guy with a Les Paul also plugged into the amp, with the same bad results. Later, I plugged my UV straight into the same amp. Dudes, the sounds was BEAUTIFUL. The guys instantly turned to me and asked:
- What the hell are you using there? Which pedal?
- See yourselves, there is nothing here.
- How is that man? What do you have on this guitar?
- Nothing. This is how she always sounded.
- WOW.

I don’t know what happens, because I even had some experiences side-by-side with one of those “new” UV777BK (the one with the mirror pickguard), and although it does sound good, it’s still not good as my ’96 UV7BK. Same DiMarzio Blaze II, same wood type, etc. And not only the sound, the playability is also better, it feels more “smooth”, dunno how to explain.

Surely there is something DIFFERENT on these old Universes. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: So what's so DIFFERENT on those old Universes? What makes them so awesome?

It's only wire and wood. There's nothing mystical about any guitar. It's just so happened that you playing your guitar sounded good through that particular amp.

I've got 9 electrics that have different pickups, different woods, different bridges, etc. but they all sound good through my rig.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 01:44 PM

I have a similar comparison between a UV7PWH and a UV777BY. I love both, but there is something about the PWH that draws me to it more.
Certainly the neck shapes are very different, but the PWH has always had a smoother tone to my ears, a little bluesier and less attacking. Both have their place.
The PWH is also much heavier, so I think the woods are about a different as 2 chunks of basswood can be.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

My own view is that there's a lot of wood involved in a UV neck. There's even more in an old neck joint one than an AANJ one.

I think that's where the extra "mojo" comes from.

I feel this applies with RGs, and I believe that PG also feels this way.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 02:56 PM

That'll definitely be a factor, though I'd argue there is more wood in a new neck - they are substantially fuller in profile.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:19 PM

Why do you think Steve plays FLO so much? It's an old FP!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 PM

Case with that amp is matter of EQ & other stuff that is much different on normal seven string guitar pickups & electronics. Also i must admit that you can get some really mellow & jazzy sounds out of that bone trash machine and those old UV will sound better than most mainstream fenders etc. Just my observation, must not necessary be true
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:09 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: So what's so DIFFERENT on those old Universes? What makes them so awesome?

I don't care what they say, there was definitely something mystical about those older Ibanez. Planets aligned just right when they started the Jem line. They are still fantastic guitars but not mystically touched by the cosmos, like the earlier ones were...I suspect it's much the same way with the Universe!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Banned

im not keen on 7 string guitars,that said they are awsome on the eye.uvmc is a stunning guitar
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 06:14 PM

i'd kill to have my PWH back. ;(
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 12:44 AM

Reviews: 21

with the 3 uv's i own, i find the uv7bk green dot is well suited for metal and rhythm playing, has an aggressive and attacking tone, the uv777gr sounds killer as a lead guitar, has a clear and well rounded and bright tone and the uv777bk is a much more mellow and blues type tone.......they are essentially the same guitar, but the mojo the green dot and uv777gr have is quite inspirational......maybe uv 's are like a fine wine, they just get better with age!!!!
pwh is next of my list.......but my custom uv is priority!!! beautiful ATD swirls are hard to find and cost a heap......but again they are all unique!!!
would be interesting to hear from someone who has an ATD and a MKD swirl if they can tell any difference!!!
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jono View Post
I feel this applies with RGs, and I believe that PG also feels this way.
Yeah, Paul likes the old square heels, which is why the 401 and Fireman have big neck joints, and most of the guitars he uses have square heels too. Its in the Fireman video, he explains that the guitars that have what he hears as the best tone are the ones with the big neck joints.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Reviews: 3

Old Jems and UV are better than newer ones. Specially 1986-2000. Those where the best years for me. I think that old woods and wires were better quality years ago. Nowadays materials and construction are worse. For sure.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 03:04 PM

the feeling is different,thats the most important.i have had 5 pwh's in total and they were all great and sounded almost the same.i have a uvbk too and the neck is just as fine as the other old uv's.the new 777uvpbk is different,thicker neck and the shape is totally different too.i dont want a new uv,only the old ones.im very curious for the uvgr.the maple board,is that a huge difference in tone?for a dy and a vdy it is.the vdy is more dark/bass tone and dy more high and higher volume in the same amp settings.i find the same in a 550m and a 550rw.and even in those models and jems too are the necks different sometimes.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Reviews: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianxtr View Post
im very curious for the uvgr.the maple board,is that a huge difference in tone?
dude, you gotta find one, the tone is awesome compared to other 'old' uv's!! Its so much brighter and clearer.....i think alot of the tones the old uv's have can be put down to the square neck joint.......not a fan of the AANJ on the newer universe!!!

Tags
universe green dots

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode