Sold My Jem - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34
Sold My Jem

Well, it is a new year and a sad day.

I have sold my Jem 77FP. Apart from being a great guitar I bought it on the day that my wife realised she was pregnant with our son. That was a good day and the guitar has always had a great sentimental value.

Unfortunately redundancy has forced my hand somewhat, but it was great owning one of the most iconic guitars of all time. Jems are one of the best guitars I have ever played and I will get another some day.

Anyway Jemsite, sorry to say that you are now a man down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 06:41 AM
Banned

Re: Sold My Jem

to sell your 777fp for your son was a very nice thing to do and your mrs will really appreciate it.kids can be very expensive but just wait a few years and im sure you will beable to afford another jem,
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:49 AM

Just sad for you.
Anyway, maybe one day............^^
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Well, it is a new year and a sad day.

I have sold my Jem 77FP. Apart from being a great guitar I bought it on the day that my wife realised she was pregnant with our son. That was a good day and the guitar has always had a great sentimental value.

Unfortunately redundancy has forced my hand somewhat, but it was great owning one of the most iconic guitars of all time. Jems are one of the best guitars I have ever played and I will get another some day.

Anyway Jemsite, sorry to say that you are now a man down!
Nick, I assure you that we are NOT a man down. IMO, the amount of Ibanez guitars (Jem or otherwise) in your home has NO bearing on how your valued here at Jemsite. You've been here for a long time and been a valuable source of information, discussion, and occasional humor. I for one appreciate that. I hope that your not planning to leave Jemsite (as your last sentance seems to elude to), but only you can decide that.

If it helps, I'm a 43 year old Dad of two sons and two step children. I fully understand the need to sell off equipment for the families needs. Guitars come and go, but your family is forever. I'm quite sure that there will be an NGD in your not to distant future that will have all of our jaws dropping. Until that time, I truly hope you will be here as you have been in the past.

Ryc

BTW..... I wish I had known you were selling your FP. I would have bought it and kept it til you were ready to get it back again.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Reviews: 12
Red face Re: Sold My Jem

I just sold a VDY and I'm awaiting payment on the Root Beer that I'm selling...Always sad saying goodbye to guitars especially Jems...I feel your pain bro!

Also, plenty of guys on here don't have Jems, so we still love ya man!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 01:35 PM

Sorry to hear about it, but you letting it go means that someone else gets to enjoy it. I wouldn't have a single one of my guitars if nobody ever decided to let theirs go! I came home from NYE celebrations to this pic in my inbox:

I can't wait until it gets here!

Several years ago I sold a '96 USRG30BT that I bought brand new and thought that I was not going to play guitar any more. Years later, things changed and I started playing again. I still miss the USRG, but I've got several other really sweet guitars now. Hopefully in a few years you'll be back in the market for another Jem.

Last edited by Takin' a Ride; 02-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

You did the right thing Nick, I'd sell any of my guitars if the situation warrants it. You can buy another guitar later. Family comes first
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 02:29 PM

Reviews: 21

Right there with you, bro. We're expecting our first and I've sold a few guitars already, including one of my favorites; my RG7620VK. I don't expect an NGD for a few years at least.
And I haven't owned a Jem in some time.
So excited for child #1, though. Great times! Enjoy!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 06:43 AM

This may help, i know how you feel, my brief Jem story:

1991 - Bought my first ever Jem, brand new 77 FP
1993 - Girlfriend Pregnant With Twins....Jem 77 FP sold

2003 - Back into Jems, bought another 77FP, a 77BFP and a 777VBK
2006 - Redundancy...Sold all 3 above (a very sad day indeed)

2010 (October to be precise) - Back into Jems (again) and in the last 2 months bought the following: Jem7VSBL, Jem77FP, Jem777VBK, UV777BK and an XPT700FX 'Xiphos'.

I'm hoping not to get anyone else pregnant or go through redundancy any time soon!!!

You'll be back, just be patient :-)

snakeman4968

Last edited by snakeman4968; 01-02-2011 at 08:44 AM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:41 AM

Nickcoumbe...like RGTFanatic said 'Guitars come and go, but your family is forever'. Very honourable thing you've done.....i do feel your pain.
I sold a car i built from the ground up, every nut and bolt was new or improved...my soul was in that car.....no one will appreciate the work that i put into it...5years of planning and hard work ...but alas the wife become pregnant and our little shack wasnt going to be big enough and i had to bite the bullet and let the car go.....i cried like a 5yr old over that car...but i know one day another will find its way into my garage!!
Chin up bud!! Material possessions will never replace the ones you love!!

Last edited by UV-7-BK; 01-02-2011 at 08:47 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:53 AM

Hang in there mate.. I know only too well the aggravation of redundancy (and that is all it is) and you'll bounce back and be better than before. NGD opportunities won't be far away...

Guitars come and go but family is more important than anything - as all but the most selfish s**ts in the world know. They'll love ya forever for that...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Nick......I forgot to mention in my last post

With regard to having to sell my 77FP due to the girlfriend being pregnant in 1993 etc......well it turned out to be 2 boys who are now 16.....and they are the ones that keep encouraging me to buy Jems :-)

They know how much i love the JEM77FP and after i explained my 1993 situation to them, i think they felt guitly LOL

They now want me to buy as many as the credit card will allow so that i can 'Leave them all to them'.

I guess it's all turned full circle and i'm sure it will for you too, hang on in there!!

All the best mate,

snakeman4968
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 04:57 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 34

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Don't worry I would never leave Jemsite! Being a parent does mean making some sacrifices for us all. Selling a jem is a real shame, but I was much more reticent about selling my MX5 (miata to you guys stateside) to get a boring family car a few years ago.

The truth of the matter is that I am now down to only 13 guitars and am just finishing off a custom I started ages ago and am kind of committed to financially. Other guitars/gear will have to go for a number of reasons, but I can't really feel too sorry for myself. Like I said, I have 13 guitars. That is a long way off hardship
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe View Post
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Don't worry I would never leave Jemsite! Being a parent does mean making some sacrifices for us all. Selling a jem is a real shame, but I was much more reticent about selling my MX5 (miata to you guys stateside) to get a boring family car a few years ago.

The truth of the matter is that I am now down to only 13 guitars and am just finishing off a custom I started ages ago and am kind of committed to financially. Other guitars/gear will have to go for a number of reasons, but I can't really feel too sorry for myself. Like I said, I have 13 guitars. That is a long way off hardship
Ha! You're better off than me, my friend! I was at 10, now at 7 and looking to pare down to 4 or 5.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 12:09 PM

Reviews: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
Ha! You're better off than me, my friend! I was at 10, now at 7 and looking to pare down to 4 or 5.
Lol! I thought I was bad at eight!

Sorry you had sell your beauty, there will always be another one down the road.

Tags
jem 77 fp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode