Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Sold my VDY

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  AlaskaBat 
#1 ·
I'm waiting for the money to clear as we speak...

She's going to California, where hopefully she'll see a lot more attention than I've given her...

Strangely I'm kind of sad. :(

It's going to a Jemsiter, so that's a good thing! :)

Great playing guitar in pretty good condition, a couple little nicks and that's all...God how I hate selling my stuff!

Just thought I'd mope a bit! ;)

#5 ·
I don't want to upset anyone or claim to know any better than any of you BUT I can safely say, without a doubt, that I wouldn't sell any of my guitars because I'm cash strapped. Never. Sure, I've had times... many times where I've been broke as all hell and in need of emergency money but my Jem and Les Paul, or the other guitars, never even factored into the equation of getting some money. It'd be like selling one of my own children. I know in the end that it's a piece of wood with plastic and metal attached..... but ..... I don't know really...... I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd rather sell my car.
Like I said though, each to their own. I just know that if I ever sold my guitars I'd regret it, so why do it?

EDIT: although in saying all of that, I know there's a fair few people in here who own a ridiculous amount of Jem's and the like.... and that's the big difference between us I suppose. I've only ever had 2 really top notch guitars and the rest are pretty average. If I had 15 jems or something like that, then I can understand culling the herd a bit. So yeah..... I'm coming from a different angle there.

#6 ·
Well I needed to make room as I just took over 3 rooms on the third floor in my house to record and rehearse...I also like to have cash...I also like selling my stuff at a profit
(most of the times ;)), I hadn't played the VDY in probably 4 years...I have my rootbeer for sale now...I never play it so... :rolleyes:

Being a Father (and having 30 or so guitars) the child analogy goes like this for me...

If you had a child that you neglected, didn't spend time with, and showed no attachment to what so ever over his/her life...It might be better to put the child up for adoption! Most of my guitars are like that! The only ones I would not consider selling are the 89 FP, 20th, Jason Becker, and a Washburn Chicago series tele that I had Tommy & Shelby Chong sign when I used to work for them!

I have a son that I love very much and spend a lot of time with, despite being a lovable pain in my @ss and who hates doing chores and has just started rolling his eyes at me! So he will never be on the chopping block, unless the price was just too good... ;)

#7 ·
30 freaking guitars!!!??? Yep, that's what my edit in my post was about LOL. Fair enough then. I had a JS1000.... got stolen, got a les paul...... used that for 10 years..... bought my Jem 3 years ago..... and that's it. I can't even fathom owning 10 high end guitars let alone 30. No wonder you need some dough :)

I have three kids also.....

#8 ·
I didnt need the money, but the my jem just sat as I've been playing my prs's almost exclusively. Plus the rule in my house now that I have a 4 year old and a baby on the way is that if I want a new guitar one has to go. I really have some gas for a Prs hollowbody II at this time and this will free up some funds for it. That being said I still have some sellers remorse as that was my last jem.

#9 ·
Similar here as well...Selling the Jem though really hurt. I loved the idea of owning it but never played it. It used to be that if a guitar didn't have a floyd I was lost, recently though I've been playing stop tailpieces or non trem equipped guitars...Weird!!

I would love to get the Al Dimeola PRS prism! Maybe next year though!

#10 ·
I recently swapped my Jem7VWH for a Fender American Vintage '62 Strat Reissue and I'm surprised that I don't regret it at all. I still have my UV777BK, which I love, but I just didn't connect with the Jem as much as I wanted to. I'm also thinking of trading my RG20th RFR for an American Deluxe Telecaster.

#11 ·
I love my Jem, but originally had a JS1000... which got stolen.... and because of my lack of knowledge on floating bridges and how much trouble I had with tuning them, I replaced it with a les paul as I didn't want the hassles. I'm very glad now to have my floating bridge back with my 7VWh, I know what I'm doing with it now, though I still love the sound of my les paul. But in saying that...... the 7VWh easily has the best feel and action than any other guitar I've ever played. It's a dream.

#21 ·
I agree with you, local stores add far too much markup, considering they get a dealer price, in my country businesses pay more than 60% less tax than consumers (but then we pay the full tax when we buy from them). In the end the only dealer that has lower prices locally than importing on your own is the Fender dealer..

I'd never purchase anything in-store here except a Fender...

#23 ·
Most of us in the States won't pay $300+ shipping on a guitar from overseas because we don't have to. You folks across the ponds are usually at the mercy of limited supply, so when a decent one pops up, it makes more sense for you. If one of "us" wants one, we have a better opportunity of waiting a little bit longer for more local guitars to pop up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.