Soliciting Advice...against my better judgement - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Soliciting Advice...against my better judgement

OK folks,

Jem BFP or J-Custom RG-Art

You make the call.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:53 AM

Tough call... .since you posted this in the Jem category, I'm sure most of the responses you get will be "BFP". So I'll be the devil's advocate here...

The RG-ART is a sweet guitar. Craftsmanship is amazing. Tone is amazing. Feel is amazing. Seriously, I've found few guitars that "bring it all together" like the RG-ART. Every time I think of selling mine (because I need the money), I end up taking it off the market before it sells. It's a lot more unique than the BFP, and certainly a lot more rare (regardless of however many have been produced--12, 24, etc).

To be fair, I've never played a BFP, but the only FP I ever played was one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played and had one of the best necks I've ever felt. However, it was a later model FP with a Lo-pro and direct-mounted pickups.

--B
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:55 AM

BFP
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

Frankly I didn't know where to post it.

I am looking for something that will bridge the gap between the high gain tone of my Jem7VWH and my big fat sounding 7 string (once jeremy finishes it). The JemVWH is just too hot for most stuff. I know I can change pickups, but I like those sounds for some things...just not everything and I really dig maple necks. Maybe the best answer is both.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 10:01 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
take the BFP... it also would be easier to resell if/when you get bored with either axe.. glen
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 10:18 AM

I actually had to decide between keeping the BFP I'd gotten from Dave Weiner, or keeping my RG-ART. The ART won hands-down.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with outward appearances or the whole J-Custom "mystique" either.

The ART simply had better tone overall. The maple top added a bit of brightness and the pickup combo of TZ/AN offered a bit more output. But, the most pleasant surprise was the 3 "in-between" pickup positions. GREAT Strat-like tone without as much signal loss as the BFP (or any other JEM) suffered.

As far as quality, I'd say there really wasn't any noticable difference. Both are great top-end guitars. My decision was based solely on overall sound performance and versatility.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Ibanez endorsed

Is there acually a decision to make? BFP MAN!!!! I get my new one tomorrow!!!
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:34 PM

And you've played HOW many RG-ARTs, Rikk?

Unless you've actually played/owned both, it's pretty difficult to construct a well-informed opinion.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:38 PM

I have played Kevan's RG-ART so I am safe and I only have 3 BFPs right now
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Quote:
And you've played HOW many RG-ARTs, Rikk?

Unless you've actually played/owned both, it's pretty difficult to construct a well-informed opinion.
lol I have only played 2 and I have not owned either of them. I admit though that the fact that I have only owned 15 JEMs, 6 Universes, 9 JS's, and at least 40 other various models/makers guitars that my opinion should not really hold any weight..... :P
I have never really been a fan of anything Ibanez aside from JEM, JS, and Universe models. So my opnion is just that..... MY opinion Which if I remember correctly from the opening post that IS what he was looking for right? lol
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 12:50 PM

If you're looking to choose between one or the other, it seems that the best opinion would be from those who have actually spent equal ammounts of time on both guitars. In doing so, it's possible to actually compare the two on a level playing field. A/B'ing both guitars through the same amp setup allows for a much better idea of the differences between them than sitting down with an ART for 20 minutes, then comparing it to your memory of the BFP you've had for years.

If you like JEMS, great. You're in the right place. But...if you want an honest, unbiased opinion based on a true real-time comparison of the two guitars, you'll probably not find too many individuals here who can offer that.

The bottom line is, if you want a JEM, get the BFP. If you want something a little less ordinary with a different tonality, go for the ART. Of course...one is MUCH easier to find than the other.
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:07 PM
Vendor

My vote goes to the Art
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Ibanez endorsed

Thats true but then again I would not have to spend equal amounts of time on Jackson custom shop flying V, Fender Custom shop Strat, Gibson Les Paul custom, and a BFP to know that the BFP (less ordinary of the bunch) would be the guitar for me. BUT its all in the person's perspective that is buying the instrument. I mean the prospective ART and BFP could play bad or the neck could feel screwy which would definietly make one look better than the other right? Best advice (no matter who is giving their's here) is ALWAYS to sit down and try both guitars out side by side and make a decision based off of what feels and sounds best to you. Everyone elses opinion is just that......

And in either case, I would say an ART or a BFP are a little less ordinary. I can count on one finger how many I have seen in my hometown on the club stages in Olympia, Tacoma, and Seattle and believe it or not the 2 ART's I played on were in the same area! lol Not to say that other BFP's and ARTs are not out there its just that out of hundreds of shows I have done neither guitar is very common. But if you want an even less common guitar, go buy a PRS limited edition (save up an extra $5,000 or so) and you can have #69 out of 70 total (its up at Guitar Center in Seattle Wa right now).
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:16 PM

#69 out of 70? Pffft...if you want uncommon, try to pick up a nice RG-GEAR, or an RG-ARCH...or and RG-GOLD1.

It's nearly impossible to go to a show in Denver and not see a PRS, but I'm quite positive I'm the only here with an RG-GEAR.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2003, 01:17 PM

or an RG-EGYPT!!

Tags
abalone binding , abalone vine , custom shop , dave weiner , fender custom shop , gibson les paul , gibson les paul custom , jackson custom shop , jem bfp , les paul , les paul custom , maple neck , maple necks , mounted pickups , pickup combo , sounding guitar , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode