Some JEM77BRMR spec questions... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Some JEM77BRMR spec questions...

Hello.

I just bought my first JEM......a 2005 BRMR! It got delivered today, but I had to get to work and didn't get to spend much time with it. Anyway, it is basically a NOS guitar and still has the plastic on the pickguard. I was looking over the specs here:

I can't post the link since I'm under 20 posts, but I was simply linking to the JEM77BRMR specs page here on Jemsite.

and either my guitar is different or some of the specs are listed incorrectly. Notably, frets 21 to 24 on my BRMR are *not* scalloped. The inlays are not plastic hex, but rather appear to be just regular (plastic?) dot inlays. Also, the chart lists the BRMR as having w6015 frets....I've never heard of those. Is that a typo that is supposed to read w6105? Whatever the case, I am surprised how small the frets are on my guitar. They are low enough that I can definitely feel the wood when playing. They appear to be well crowned and like I said, it is a NOS guitar. Does that all sound normal?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Some JEM77BRMR spec questions...

I have another question. I bought this guitar in NOS condition and it was sold as having all of the "case candy" including hang tags and so forth. Upon it arriving, I looked and found that the hang tags, warranty tag, etc. correlate with a JEM7VWH (obviously a different serial # than my guitar).

I emailed the seller and he said he didn't even know the hang tags were incorrect and mentioned that he was really happy to have just found a new BRMR back when he bought it new. It sounds like he bought it from a big store that probably just grabbed the wrong case when he bought the guitar.

Anyway, considering I bought it as NOS with all case candy......and I paid accordingly, is this worth raising a stink over? Should I ever sell the guitar down the road, would this affect value at all? Is my OCD getting overworked here?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:42 PM

If you ever sell the guitar down the road, I'd be more concerned about the finish cracks than whether the right catalog was in the case.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 12:56 PM

I have the same guitar. The last frets are NOT scalloped. The dot inlays in that guitar looked nothing special. That's why I replaced the neck with a vine one from a 77bk which looks much better and what should have been offered on the original guitar.

I had hang tags that were from a vwh as well. I think they added that to make it look like it was "fresh", just from a store. I guess it depends how much you paid for it. I've seen one in really awful condition and it still looked desirable.

It's a beautiful Jem. If you're happy with it and it sounds/looks good to you, that's all that matters right? Are you a player or a collector? Every guitar that I have has "aged". To keep any guitar locked away is a real shame.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco1 View Post
I have the same guitar. The last frets are NOT scalloped. The dot inlays in that guitar looked nothing special. That's why I replaced the neck with a vine one from a 77bk which looks much better and what should have been offered on the original guitar.

I had hang tags that were from a vwh as well. I think they added that to make it look like it was "fresh", just from a store. I guess it depends how much you paid for it. I've seen one in really awful condition and it still looked desirable.

It's a beautiful Jem. If you're happy with it and it sounds/looks good to you, that's all that matters right? Are you a player or a collector? Every guitar that I have has "aged". To keep any guitar locked away is a real shame.
Thanks for the info! Due to my work schedule the last couple days, I've had very little time with the guitar. I did play it a bit and it feels and sounds nice from what I can tell, but I need more time with it. I play every guitar I own, but whether or not I make it a regular player depends on how well I bond with it. If I don't bond with it for some reason, it will probably stay in the case and become more of a collectible than a player.

How about the frets on your original neck? Are they kind of smallish like I was describing in the first post? I do wish the frets were taller.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 AM

The frets felt the same as the other Jem neck, not particularly high. I thought the back of the neck felt smoother like it was more lacquered. To me the BRMR neck felt slightly nicer to play.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM

My main problem with the BRMR is that the neck pickup is quite weak compared to an EVO. Maybe its just steve's preference.. but I prefer the extra power. And yes the neck is a bit boring Simms in London will fit some nice Blue LED's for about 300. They did Steve Vai's too.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyoc View Post
My main problem with the BRMR is that the neck pickup is quite weak compared to an EVO. Maybe its just steve's preference.. but I prefer the extra power. And yes the neck is a bit boring Simms in London will fit some nice Blue LED's for about 300. They did Steve Vai's too.
weird, the Breed neck should actually be slightly hotter than the Evo neck, going by DiMarzio specs. I can only compare Evo with PAFpro and they are similar in output level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode