Someone FINALLY did it, an updated arm holder for the Edge & Lo-Pro Edge - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Someone FINALLY did it, an updated arm holder for Edge & Lo-Pro Edge (Edge Pro too!)

The company behind Luminlay just recently released a new product, called the "MAGIK-ARM"
This is something I've been waiting for, literally for years.

RED BISHOP High quality original guitar and bass parts

The video shows it all, it's a trem arm holder replacement with a screw collar that is machined in Japan, and it's machined so well that it doesn't have any play, and unlike a Floyd, you don't have to keep tightening it all the time. When you tighten it, it stays tight. Want it loose and not tight? That's fine too, and it will STAY that way. And it doesn't require a set screw either. It's priced fairly reasonably as well.

Yes, the video shows a Floyd, but they do make one specifically for the edge & lo-pro edge -- it also works with the Edge Pro as well! YAY!

They also make replacement arm holders for Gotoh 510s (and ofc OFRs) as well.

I hope this post isn't taken as spam, I'm not affiliated with them, I just happen to think this is a sick product that someone finally came along and made and solves a HUGE problem that I've had with certain Ibanez trems for a very very long time.

I can finally throw those stupid white bushing things in the trash bin where they belong!
I must've ordered at least 100 of those from Rich over the years lol.

The one downside, however, is that you don't get compatibility with the cooler Ibanez arms like the JS Ultralite and the Duralumin arm that was made for the SynchroniZR -- at least I don't think this is possible, I haven't tried it though.

Last edited by nkzxr; 11-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 04:53 PM

Re: Someone FINALLY did it, an updated arm holder for the Edge & Lo-Pro Edge

Thanks for sharing! It's like the arm on the edge zero, works the same way.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuga666 View Post
Thanks for sharing! It's like the arm on the edge zero, works the same way.
There's a reason for that; the guy who is behind this new company used to work at Ibanez, and he's the one who designed that arm holder. Apparently the Magik-Arm is a little different, and has some updates.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkzxr View Post
There's a reason for that; the guy who is behind this new company used to work at Ibanez, and he's the one who designed that arm holder. Apparently the Magik-Arm is a little different, and has some updates.
Oh great!! They work very well, I'll surely get some for my edges... all of them thx
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Thank you! I needed one for an OFR that was driving me crazy.
nkzxr likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 11:31 PM

The solution that the "magik arm" has apparently fixed was fixed on my Strats Floyd by just buying a replacement german made OFR arm/socket, it tightens very gradually and is pretty much spot on where as the old one was a nightmare. As for the Edge, the only issue with the Edge system is that it wears fast but I think when it works it feels great, I've coaxed more life out of the plastic bushings with various methods over the years but I think the biggest issue is when you're constantly removing/replacing the arm, if you leave the arm in place it doesn't really wear quickly at all.

The other issue with the Edge/Lo-Pro though is that holder itself tends to work itself loose and once that has happened it's a pain in the ass to keep it tightened and avoid play. I've had periods where its fine for a month and then works loose again, that isn't an issue with the Floyd because you hammer in the holder by force instead of screwing it.

Edit : Since we're on the topic of the ultralight carbon fibre arm for the Edge, my Jem 777 30th came with one and I'd always wanted one but couldn't justify the price.. And I'm glad I didn't buy one for my other Jem because I hate it, the bulky design gets in the way compared to the standard arm.
nkzxr and Hoseki like this.

Last edited by BigBazz; 11-19-2018 at 11:47 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:18 AM

Just ordered a chrome arm for my 3127. Perhaps I'll do a video or blog post of the install. Oddly, I'm actually MOST excited to get this Arm Holder Driver (which comes with the kits):

nkzxr and Hoseki like this.

Last edited by webmaestro; 11-22-2018 at 11:38 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
The solution that the "magik arm" has apparently fixed was fixed on my Strats Floyd by just buying a replacement german made OFR arm/socket, it tightens very gradually and is pretty much spot on where as the old one was a nightmare. As for the Edge, the only issue with the Edge system is that it wears fast but I think when it works it feels great, I've coaxed more life out of the plastic bushings with various methods over the years but I think the biggest issue is when you're constantly removing/replacing the arm, if you leave the arm in place it doesn't really wear quickly at all.

The other issue with the Edge/Lo-Pro though is that holder itself tends to work itself loose and once that has happened it's a pain in the ass to keep it tightened and avoid play. I've had periods where its fine for a month and then works loose again, that isn't an issue with the Floyd because you hammer in the holder by force instead of screwing it.

Edit : Since we're on the topic of the ultralight carbon fibre arm for the Edge, my Jem 777 30th came with one and I'd always wanted one but couldn't justify the price.. And I'm glad I didn't buy one for my other Jem because I hate it, the bulky design gets in the way compared to the standard arm.
Exactly, but when you need to take the arm out just to fit the guitar in the case, it's a nightmare. As I said I must've ordered at LEAST 100 of those stupid white things from Rich over the years lmfao. What a waste of money :[

AND YES! The holder itself can get a bit loose, that happened in my Edge Pro 7, before I just got rid of it and got an Evertune.
Couldn't stand it anymore.

Thanks for the info about the UltraLite arm...I've never tried it but I've always wanted to. I saw it for half price on Amazon a few months back. I *have* however tried the Duralumin arm (the one that comes with the SynchroniZR), and that one is spectacular. It's amazingly light, probably even lighter than the UltraLite arm.

Also FYI it's a huge PITA to get the Schaller arm working on an Ibanez bridge, and even if you can, the height / angle of the arm isn't the same as the Ibanez one. I've seen many people try, few people actually liked the result, the ones that were actually able to finish the job that is lol. One person though did actually like it, IIRC. It's higher up I think, and that was something he wanted. Guess it's all preference in the end.
Hoseki likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaestro View Post
Just ordered a chrome arm for my 3127. Perhaps I'll do a video or blog post of the install. Oddly, I'm actually MOST excited to get this Arm Holder Driver (which comes with the kits):

WOAH! I didn't even see that! Nice catch!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 12:48 PM
Vendor

You'll never get enough torque on the holder with that thing to get the nut as tight as it needs to be

I've seen counterfeit ultralight bars so if you see a "half price", be careful.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You'll never get enough torque on the holder with that thing to get the nut as tight as it needs to be .
Any tips on that front? I replaced the socket arm holder on my 94 Jem fairly recently as I sheared the original one in two, I've been really fighting to keep the new replacement in place, it always stays put for about 2-4 weeks and then it's loose again (the original was the same). The one on my 777 is bombproof for now, but yeah this is one of the worst little niggles with the Edge system.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:52 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBazz View Post
Any tips on that front? .
It's in my crappy read only tech section

IBANEZ RULES!! tech - setup

Was written years ago, there was a stretch of Lo Pro that you just could not tighten the nut.

I've always held the trem between my knees holding the torque on the holder while tightening the nut.
BigBazz likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 11:32 PM

Loctite blue.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 06:55 PM

Reviews: 4

So how many folks have bought? Did you receive it? How's it work for you?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim View Post
So how many folks have bought? Did you receive it? How's it work for you?
I ordered one and installed it about 2 weeks ago, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. See the attached photos.

However, I only ordered one: for a Lo-Pro Edge 7 that had a problem. The tremolo arm's hole was physically larger than the tremolo arm's diameter. In other words, the arm holder assembly was tight, retainer clip was positioned properly, etc. but the damn hole was just too big, so the arm was very sloppy and loose. I tried new bushings. I tried nail polish. I tried hitting the bushings with fire. I even was stuffing pieces of plastic bag down into the hole, which actually worked but just felt... so ghetto.

That said, I won't be replacing the arm holders on any of my other Ibanezes with this. They're all fine, nice and tight, and I like them as-is. In general, I prefer Ibanezes arm assembly over the Floyd-rose style screw-in holders. I only ordered this for the one problem trem arm, and it's been a godsend. No more sloppy bar, and that sucker is tighter than a [you fill in the blank].

It was pretty easy to install, as long as you're comfortable completely removing and replacing a trem. It arrived about a week after I ordered it, which is impressive considering it came all the way from Japan.

Oddly, I was most stoked to get the Arm Holder Driver tool:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg trem1.jpg (424.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg trem2.jpg (345.8 KB, 25 views)
Hoseki likes this.

Last edited by webmaestro; 12-29-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Tags
arm holder , edge , lo pro edge , luminlay , magik-arm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode