something odd about a UV7BK? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 03:39 AM Thread Starter

something odd about a UV7BK?

ive found a UV7BK for sale that im keen to buy, but have found something odd about it...

it doesnt have 'universe' printed on the headstock. the ibanez writing is green and so are the dot inlays,

the serial # is 912997 by the way, and on the plate it does actually say its a universe. the guy said its from the first line of Universe Ibanez, before they labled them with the Universe logo.. but from my time here ive never heard about that being the case.

anyone got any ideas as to why it doesnt have universe printed on the headstock?

it has a few dings, and has a little rusting on the trem etc, but is US$700 a good price? ive always wanted one of these guitars!

oh, by the way, im a long time reader - unly just started posting!
!!! jemsite rules !!!
(couldnt finding anything searching so i hope this hasnt been covered already)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 06:02 AM

The Universe was first produced in 90 and that serial is from a '91 model ....hardly the first line of production, I, personally would be wary when someone claims to know "production line" info.

I also have never heard of any factory produced standard Universes without the logo... maybe the headstock was refinished, the rest of the spec sounds ok .... green pickups?

If ya can link to some pics, there are guys on here who know more and will be able to tell you in an instant.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 07:29 AM

The older Ibanez Logo's (inc. Jem and Universe) were printed on top of the clear headstock iirc, So they are easy to scratch,rub off, If in doubt pull the neck from the body and check the Neck Heel stamp (UV7BK i assume) it'll definately not say RG7620 etc, If it does, you'll be wanting a lot off the asking price, Actually, when the neck is off check the Neck pocket stamp too

HTH, and get some pics

Rob

p.s. Sounds fishy tho
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 10:05 AM
RCB

If it has green pups, green dots as inlays, the Ibanez Logo is also in green, and the neck plate says Ibanez Universe, I think its pretty safe to say it is 91 Universe UV7BK. You should post some pictures, and then we can tell for sure. The missing UV logo is strange though (its true taht they can be rubbed off, but i never saw one that had it COMPLETELY rubbed off)

The price is not very good for a beat up guitar. If it has too many chips, scatches and bumps I think you should offer 600, tops.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 AM

How much are they asking in Aussie dollars? No, I'm not planning to snipe it on you, just curious.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM

Well, I guess overlooking the obvious is a pretty common thing somedays :P

If it's green dots, UV body, blah blah blah, AND has the old style neck joint, it's a UV neck.

Ibanez never made another 7 string with the old style neck joint, ALL other models of 7 strings were AANJ.

The universe logo might have been removed, as stated earlier the logo's were printed on top and could have easily been removed.

edit: The original S series 7 string may have been old style joint I can't remember, but it was only 22 frets so that would be easy to tell as well.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2004, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegreenman
Well, I guess overlooking the obvious is a pretty common thing somedays :P

If it's green dots, UV body, blah blah blah, AND has the old style neck joint, it's a UV neck.

Ibanez never made another 7 string with the old style neck joint, ALL other models of 7 strings were AANJ.

The universe logo might have been removed, as stated earlier the logo's were printed on top and could have easily been removed.

edit: The original S series 7 string may have been old style joint I can't remember, but it was only 22 frets so that would be easy to tell as well.
Doh !!! I never thought of pre aanj, Shows i should actually pay more attention, As always i'm wrong !!!

Guess it's just the logo being rubbed off

Thanks Jer, for pointing that out, I really should read things better heh

Rob
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the replies guys, the guitar was actually on ebay (#3741660820) i missed out as someone used the buy it now option.. but you'll be able to see the headstock like i said...

the guy sent me some closeup photos, and after seeing them i was nowhere near as keen.. the tremolo and all the screws looked rusty as!, and there were dings and stuff everywhere!

i just really want a UV7BK!

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , neck joint , neck plate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode