something struck me when i picked up a jem yesterday..... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

something struck me when i picked up a jem yesterday.....

something struck me when i pickued up a jem yesterday at guitar center. this hasn't happened any other time i picked up the jem, and it only happened one other time when i picked up a strat a while ago.

and that thing is..........my mind telling me "i must have this guitar!" but the $2000 price tag is really high.

before this i had my eyes set on a carvin, but i never actually played one. it was more eye candy. and the thought of having a custom built guitar.

but now i don't know. those who played the carvin DC127's how are they to the jems?

also i had bad experiences with floyd roses in the past, and i feel they would give me problems again with the jem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:40 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
Re: something struck me when i picked up a jem yesterday.....

jems tend to do that to people. LOL.

since you mentioned $$$ the resale of a carvin is weak to the point where if you want to unload it you're losing 50%. what "custom" generic guitar you want isn't what the next guys wants. the jem doesn't suffer from that problem (nevermind the VWH is in a different league as far as double-locking trem axes is concerned imho)... glen
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

so there would be no point in getting a tremsetter for the jem?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite
jems tend to do that to people. LOL
They did it to me!!
Tried a 7vwh one day,bought one the next day
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 06:20 PM

The edge series are superior as for as Floyds go. As for the tremsetter it is really more of an option for the Jem since the Jem with the Edge series has superior trem stability. And as far as a Carvin vs a Jem i personally wouldn't even consider the Carvin. The Jem is that superior. If you are lucky you may be able to score a used one for just under 2 grand. Personally i prefer the older Edges over the Edge pro but that is just me.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

would getting a tremsetter for the jem lower its value?

one thing i dont like about floyd/edge guitars is if you bend a note, other notes go out of tune.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:13 PM

You could WIN one instead of buying one Your odds aren't too bad, either!
http://www.jemsite.com/compete.htm

~K
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

i dont have the luck, or writing skills for that
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:02 PM

I know exactly what you mean. When i first tried out a jem i was in shock. That was december. I then had to wait until Feburary to get mine. I was almost dying. I say buy it, you will definently not regret it!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
You could WIN one instead of buying one Your odds aren't too bad, either!
http://www.jemsite.com/compete.htm

~K
Way to Promote! Not a bad idea either!
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2k4
something struck me when i pickued up a jem yesterday at guitar center.
similar thing happened to me once. something struck me when i picked up a jem - it was the owner! apparently i'd tripped the alarm system on my way though his basement window...
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 PM

Go to Bpmmusic.com They sells Jems for a little more than $1600.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 12:09 AM

+1 on the "feeling" when you picked up the Jem. i played a 7VWH for the first time at the NAMM '05 Ibanez booth but didn't get a chance to plug it in. i saw one in the window last summer in a local store and within 15 minutes i was walking out with a NOS '04 7VWH in a new UV1000. that's all it took. feel the neck, hear the tones and drool for 5 minutes. done deal.
Carvins are nice and i might have one made eventually, but then again, i already have my 7VWH ("Elvis") and....[said in a Fat B*st*rd voice] "It is dead sexy!"

Music is something bigger and greater than myself and I'm just glad to be a part of it. -TJ

A wise man once told me, "never discuss politics or religion in a disco enviroment" -Frank Zappa
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

when i get a 7VWH, it will be from ibanezrules.com only
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:21 AM

This is a 7VWH fanboy thread now. 7VWHs are fun, but terribly overpriced. You're paying for a guitar with no real options to justify the higher price. Compared to equally priced guitara with nice tops etc. it also looks a bit boring and cheap. Don't be fooled by the inlay...it's all plastic and you can even get vine/tree of life inlays on $300 korean guitars. The gold wears off a bit (which has its own charm), and I don't really like the way the new Edge Pros handle but they do have the great hardened steel saddle inserts you'll definitely need to stay sane after some years of divebombing and fluttering. I believe Rich installs locking studs which is a good thing. I don't think tuning will be as stable as the ballbearing Schaller OFR on my Vigier, but definitely stable enough. Temperature/humidity shifts are the worst influences on tuning to be feared. Never forget to stretch in strings :-p
The pups really lack bottom end, so make sure you have an amp/added EQ that can fix that problem. The guitar is very suitable for higher volumes and you get a [email protected] of harmonics from the Evos. (also needed because locking trems kill tone) The pups are designed to cut through a live mix, which they actually do very well.
A 7VWH is pretty addictive too play...ofcourse it's not a Vigier but the basic guitar design (RG/JEM shape) makes it very anatomically correct to play and too quote Vai:"It plays like Buddha". Jems are easy to play sitting down because they doesn't have rounded edges like a strat or the DC127. I've read guys raving over their DC127s on other fora but that's just the way it goes. They wouldn't've bought them otherwise.
If you stay off the rare/boutique brands the 7VWH is a good idea. After 8 years I still enjoy mine. But I paid $800 for that one...secondhand ofcourse.

Tags
ebony board , edge pros , floyd rose , jem neck , korean guitar , les paul , locking stud , locking studs , locking trems , trem stability

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

eugenes trick bag alternate picked?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode