Sore index finger - Keep hitting the top lock - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Sore index finger - Keep hitting the top lock

Now call me crazy, but I think my new JS is trying to kill me slowly.

For some reason while playing, the extra spiky string guide thingy (you know what I mean) keeps digging into my left index finger.
It has never happened with the other guitars I play.
Maybe it is something to do with the JS' extra thin neck slightly altering my hand position, or that it just is a little higher than my others, but it bloody hurts....

I need to fit a little padded cover on it I think (anyone who read the Nigel Tufnell interview years ago talking about a nut cosy knows what i mean!)

Does anyone else find this?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 04:58 AM

Sore index finger

I tried to see if my guitar got this problem, but I did not find anything....

Pay attention an alien maybe took control on your guitar and after you will try to kill us ahhhhhh *

( sorry I'm so stupid )
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 08:13 AM

Sore index finger

heh yeah, i occasionally hit the nut w/ my finger too, painfully even.. but that's usually when i'm trying some stupid theatric.

~A
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:18 PM

Sore index finger

i had a similar problem when i first got my RG7... the neck was so damned thin and, well, "different" from my strat... and i was doing alot of nasty things by training and instinct that ended up being painful and bad for my technique and tone, thins such as always trying to anchor my thumb around the neck, pressing down on the fretboard way too hard whenever i fretted a note, stuff like that.... even the locking nut accidents that you mentioned.

i took alot of time into just changing the way my hands fell on the guitar, training myself to hold it in a certain way. now i realize that my RG is my most comfortable guitar, and i didn't realize it before simply because i was instictively holding it wrong.

now i'm not calling you stupid or anything, just remember that a different guitar with a different neck needs you to hold it differently. watch your hand movement when your hands approach the nut, relax your hands as much as possible (without having em fall off the guitar :biggrin and try to change the course of your hand as it moves about the neck, try and keep em as close to the actual fret as possible, and away from the nut. try a more "classical" hand position (thumb behind the neck, not around) so your hands are parallel to the nut, so it'll be easier to find room for your hand between the 1st fret and the nut.

i know its tough to change a behaviour that is so ingrained in you, but its probably worth it, so you can get the most out of your JS!

and if your fingers are just so big they fill up the entire area between the nut and 1st fret, or you thought my post was raving mad :loco:, then get the nut cozy :silly:

-Pryde

(Edited by Pryde7 at 11:23 am on Oct. 16, 2001)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-24-2001, 04:10 AM

Sore index finger

Richie Kotzen used to have that problem, too.
In his 'Rock Chops' instr. video, you can see a little thing placed right upon the Top-Lok on his custom/Frankenstein RG.
I took quite a bit to understand what that thing worked for.
It's sorta plastic/rubber tubing placed across where the strings meet the Top-Lok, without touch them, 'course.

nuno
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:05 AM

Sore index finger

I assume you'll never play with a capo...
Maybe a Steinberger would suit you better, or a Birdfish. As long as it's headless, it won't hurt you.

Euph
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2001, 11:55 AM

Sore index finger

Anyone remember Nigel Tuffnel's "Nut Cozy"? *:-)

Suggestion: *some filing (read: rounding) on the edge of nut, and black nail polish.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 12:30 PM

Sore index finger

Quote:
Quote: from nuno on 9:10 am on Oct. 24, 2001

In his 'Rock Chops' instr. video, you can see a little thing placed right upon the Top-Lok on his custom/Frankenstein RG.
nuno, I think this is just an allen wrench
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 01:35 PM

Sore index finger

gitarrero,
you're maybe referring to that 'thing' placed between strings BEHIND the nut.
Yeah, it's an allen wrench: Kotzen used to insert it right there.

I'm referring to that thing attached to the nut, FACING the fingerboard, right at the end of the low-E fret.
It's placed right were the index finger might hit the nut, so I thought it to be sorta 'nut-cushion'.

my 1 million italian liras ($0.0000001... sigh!)

nuno
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2001, 01:49 PM

Sore index finger

nuno,

sorry -- I should have looked more closely!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-10-2001, 08:43 PM

Sore index finger

Just so you don't feel like you're the only one, I have a USRG20 that gives me the same problem. *The nut is actually sharp on the ends. *Filing would probably be the best solution, as Kevan suggested. *I just continue to let mine hurt me, maybe that says something about me? :biggrin:
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-11-2001, 08:00 AM

Sore index finger

Simple:
you love your babe, so much that you prefer get hurt yourself than hurt it.
I'm in the same situation, but I'm an Ibanez ultra-fanatic, so it doesn't bother me.
My Ibys could even kill me, but I don't care, cuz I love them!

nuno

Tags
allen wrench , locking nut , nigel tufnel , richie kotzen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode