Sorry if this has already been asked... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Sorry if this has already been asked...

I'm a relatively new musician who is looking for a step up from his Epiphone. I have two questions. Number one: is it worth it? Number two: do any of you JEM owners get put down musically for owning one? E.g. they say your just trying to copy Vai. I mean, this guitar is all I've been looking for, but it just worries me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 AM

Re: Sorry if this has already been asked...

The answer to the second part depends on the player. I live in Nashville where JEM's are an oddity. Players look at me cross-eyed until I play. Then they usually say, "cool". If I sucked, I am sure they would laugh me out of town. A JEM won't make you a better player or turn you into Steve Vai. They are great guitars but like anything else, are not right for every player. If your skills are ready for a better ax, a step up is absolutely worth it. At the very least, if its a nice playing Epiphone, upgrade the pickups to something appropriate to your musical direction. If you're a metal player, maybe EMG's like Zakk Wilde. If you shred, maybe DiMarzio Evolutions. If you're a blues fan, maybe some Duncan Pearly Gates. If the guitar just doesn't inspire you, time to move on. There are way too many choices to think about but some guitars stand the test of time(think JEM, Fender Strat or Tele, Gibson Les Paul or 335). Quality on lots of these is hit or miss so play lots and when you find the one that inspires you, that's the one to buy. BTW, when I try guitars, I usually do not plug them in at first. I find that if it sounds clear and has decent sustain while unplugged, its a good one. If it sounds dead and dull unplugged, $200 pickups won't make it great. That's advice from a player of 30+ years.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The answer to the second part depends on the player. I live in Nashville where JEM's are an oddity. Players look at me cross-eyed until I play. Then they usually say, "cool". If I sucked, I am sure they would laugh me out of town. A JEM won't make you a better player or turn you into Steve Vai. They are great guitars but like anything else, are not right for every player. If your skills are ready for a better ax, a step up is absolutely worth it. At the very least, if its a nice playing Epiphone, upgrade the pickups to something appropriate to your musical direction. If you're a metal player, maybe EMG's like Zakk Wilde. If you shred, maybe DiMarzio Evolutions. If you're a blues fan, maybe some Duncan Pearly Gates. If the guitar just doesn't inspire you, time to move on. There are way too many choices to think about but some guitars stand the test of time(think JEM, Fender Strat or Tele, Gibson Les Paul or 335). Quality on lots of these is hit or miss so play lots and when you find the one that inspires you, that's the one to buy. BTW, when I try guitars, I usually do not plug them in at first. I find that if it sounds clear and has decent sustain while unplugged, its a good one. If it sounds dead and dull unplugged, $200 pickups won't make it great. That's advice from a player of 30+ years.
i dissagree, there are some guitars built up hardcore that inherently sound duller than some, based solely on enhanching the pickups dynamics vs the tone expression from the woods/build
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 AM

Reviews: 65

Is it worth it:
That is for you to decide. The JEM is a top of the line guitar that is amazing to play. But if the thin neck (which many of us love) or the monkey grip is for you?

To the second question:
Well I am from Austria. To the average listener a JEM is just "a cool guitar", so no I did not get any comments. From the people that actually know Vai, most comments I get are "is that the Steve Vai axe?"
I do not even try to immitate Vai though, I play the JEM because it is an amazing axe, not because of Vai and I think apart from the average jemsite troll, people do get that... (Plenty of people with signature Strats around here and none of them play like Clapton either hehe)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank View Post
(Plenty of people with signature Strats around here and none of them play like Clapton either hehe)
And, of course, the 'original' signature guitar, courtesy of Messrs Gibson. Not too many play like Lester either.

OP - supporting what everyone else has said. Jems and RGs have a very specific feel to them and they're not for everyone. If the Epi is your first guitar, you need to play as many as possible before you buy so that you end up with exactly what you want.

My opinion? It's very difficult to beat a well set up Jem. Playability, tone, feel, looks - they have it all.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM

Reviews: 1

I say play what you want and like to play, not what others dictate! If you like JEMs play them! If someone else doesn't who cares!

For any guitar you decide to purchase, there will always be some D-Bag thats got something to say about it. Just concentrate on your playing and don't pay attention to them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
i dissagree, there are some guitars built up hardcore that inherently sound duller than some, based solely on enhanching the pickups dynamics vs the tone expression from the woods/build
true, there are some active pickups that can make a broomstick sound good, but i agree with albee that it's best to find a guitar that is resonant unplugged because it typically indicates that the build construction is solid.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM

I think it's worth it. I am not a Vai fan, but i love these axes for their versatility, sound, playability and look.
:thumbs up:
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
true, there are some active pickups that can make a broomstick sound good, but i agree with albee that it's best to find a guitar that is resonant unplugged because it typically indicates that the build construction is solid.
i wasnt talking about active

take for instance my warmoth is very bright and very sharp sounding, not plugged in, but doesnt have a long sustaining tone you can hear compared to like a prs or whatever where as u strum a single note and it can go on for a long time

but i turn up my x2n on my warmoth and the note goes on literealy longer than a prs
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:05 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRot View Post
I'm a relatively new musician who is looking for a step up from his Epiphone. I have two questions. Number one: is it worth it? Number two: do any of you JEM owners get put down musically for owning one? E.g. they say your just trying to copy Vai. I mean, this guitar is all I've been looking for, but it just worries me.
Number one will be based upon your own feel. I would suggest you go to your local Ibanez dealer and try one.

Although I'm not a Jem owner, I can tell you that it wouldn't make me or break me if someone thought I was a poser or a Vai copycat because I'm not but, the guitar is a great instrument altogether.

I own a few JS's and it really makes no difference to me whether people think one way or another.

Jimmy
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
Number one will be based upon your own feel. I would suggest you go to your local Ibanez dealer and try one.

Although I'm not a Jem owner, I can tell you that it wouldn't make me or break me if someone thought I was a poser or a Vai copycat because I'm not but, the guitar is a great instrument altogether.

I own a few JS's and it really makes no difference to me whether people think one way or another.

Jimmy
im not sure if this is related, but i think it doesnt matter at all what guitar is it, as long as the specs are correct

in any form, neck pocket angle, wood choice, fretwire, radius type/spec, body finish, neck finish, trem/bridge...sa long as it is built well and plays well its okay

to be honest one of my favorite guitar was a jackson js30rr....cheap and awesome, put evo and a jb in it and it screamed
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:17 PM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by losgatosrg350dx View Post
im not sure if this is related, but i think it doesnt matter at all what guitar is it, as long as the specs are correct

in any form, neck pocket angle, wood choice, fretwire, radius type/spec, body finish, neck finish, trem/bridge...sa long as it is built well and plays well its okay

to be honest one of my favorite guitar was a jackson js30rr....cheap and awesome, put evo and a jb in it and it screamed
I wasn't talking about Jacksons gatos. I was talking about the Satriani models such as the PRM, Crystal Planet and JS1000.

Jimmy
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 01:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4674 View Post
I wasn't talking about Jacksons gatos. I was talking about the Satriani models such as the PRM, Crystal Planet and JS1000.

Jimmy
nono im just saying its not like you have to get a jem or a js, or even a ibanez to actually get a great feel to play with, ibanez guitars are great, but there are tons of other guitars that play just as well or better, personaly i like the jem and js series, wich are all based on the same playability specs, with little changes, but i dont think the jem guitars are that great, they are simple and effective and very playable, but i have played carvins and warmoths that played better and sounded better, and with necks that were built 3 times better than a jem, but like i said, dont get me wrong a jem is still a superior git.....there however are better ones out there
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadRot View Post
Number two: do any of you JEM owners get put down musically for owning one? E.g. they say your just trying to copy Vai.
Ummmm.....well Dee rips us for it all the time!!!

....but we still love him

Tags
crystal planet , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , dimarzio evolutions , duncan pearly gates , fender strat , gibson les paul , ibanez dealer , ibanez guitars , les paul , monkey grip , neck finish , signature guitar , signature strat , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode