Which Sounds Better - FTLOG or Building The Church? - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Which Sounds Better - FTLOG or Building The Church?

Passion & Warfare was a groundbreaking record. Steve recorded it with Jems, Universes and Marshall amps. He recorded it on 2" tape.

Building The Church is cut #1 on one of his latest CD's - he used Jems, Universes and Carvin amps. He recorded digitally with ProTools.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Which 'TONE' sounds better to you? You get to feast your ears on P&W with Mixolydian Sickness like 'The Riddle' - OR- you can sink your ears into SICK pulloff patterns like on BTC.
Both recordings sound killer`````name your poison.

-jemaholic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 PM

Re: Which Sounds Better - FTLOG or Building The Church?

Man that is tough for me to choose!!!! I think both of those songs are killer!!....but I'm gonna give the nod to FTLOG just because of history and the passion that I hear in the playing.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM

Is it true that FTLOG is the melody of the Kung Fu TV shows intro song?
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Reviews: 6

Passion and Warfare is just my all time favourite. Before i even knew about Steve or his music, the concept of opposing energies working the sprockets of life in harmony became a strong personal belief. I guess as far as religion stands, i am Catholic, but my beliefs differ quite a lot from you would normally assume a devout catholic is. I don`t really practice the religion so much as i just bare it`s name from the early days of my life when i was baptized. Anyways, this Yin Yang or Passion and Warfare ideology is the way i see everything i encounter. Like a life-size kaleidoscope, everything has it`s place in the grand scheme of life and this album lived up to it`s title, regardless of it`s spiritually inspiring content.

And personal appreciation to what this title meant to me, i always found the album to be a pure Gem. I enjoy every track on it, from Liberty to Ballerina 12 24 all the way down to Alien Water Kiss. I also have a profound appreciation for Real Illusions. A lot of good songs and a great tone, but i just think that P&W was a better album overall.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM

Reviews: 10
Exclamation Re: Which Sounds Better - FTLOG or Building The Church?

Passion and Warfare enough said!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:10 PM

For the Love of God in terms of the song itself and the way it was played, I can hear raw passion in it, and the song moves me emotionally, almost to tears. As for sound quality and technical skill, you've got Building the Church. When I first heard BTC, I was amazed at how good the keyboard player was... until I realized after about three seconds that it was Vai. D'oh!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Both have very similar qualities IMO. Real Illusions has taken what PW was and added a bit of metal (BtheC) sound. I still would have to go with the P&W, Orginal Jem sound.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 AM

Passion & Whorefare bitches!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 AM

Reviews: 65

Don't get me wrong, as I love P&W, but I think RI has much more diversity in the tone and you can hear that Steve started to experiment with cool sounds rather than shred away. So I prefer the RI sound.
Although you can hear a lot of passion and cool sound in P&W and it is only a minor preference, as I love both albums.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 07:06 PM

Passion & Warfare
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-27-2008, 09:41 PM

ftlog's my favorite vai song to play

but building the church is amazing
and the whole real illusions album is great too
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 AM

Reviews: 1

passion and warfare....

analog > digital

passion and warfare does not win because of that though... a blind man could see why:P.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:53 AM

Tonewise and just going off sound and nothing to do with playing, history, ect. I'd have to say that BTC sounds better, its tighter and more "real" like steve is there playing it and not so aware it is a recording. But thats just my opinon.

Tags
marshall amp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode