Sounds like a daft question but... why veneer a 3 piece body - showing my ignorance ! - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Sounds like a daft question but... why veneer a 3 piece body - showing my ignorance !

I just modded a RG7420 (description from the neck pocket) body for a forum member and learned something new...
when the body was sanded down it was clear that it was of 3 piece construction - the face of the guitar was clearly different....

it looked (on the face of it) to be a one piece body....

this guitar was painted originally, is the veneer to hide movement between the 3 pieces of basswood that make the body from showing in the paint ?

.. ?

I know a lot of you guys are very knowledgeable about this stuff.......

why veneer a guitar thats going to be painted.? perhaps to hide those two "fault" lines that appeared in early ibanez guitars where the jointing was visible ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 04:58 PM
Dee

Re: Sounds like a daft question but... why veneer a 3 piece body - showing my ignorance !

Did you know that the JEM VWH has a basswood veneer? It stops the paint sinking into the alder. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of thing on other Ibanez guitars.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: Sounds like a daft question but... why veneer a 3 piece body - showing my ignorance !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Did you know that the JEM VWH has a basswood veneer? It stops the paint sinking into the alder. I wouldn't be surprised to see the same kind of thing on other Ibanez guitars.
I didnt know that, but thats what I meant by the "fault" lines - I have an early ibanez where the jointing is clearly visible through the paint....

that seems to be the case here - its a year 2000 7 string... with a basswood veneer.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 05:17 PM
Dee

Yep, I have had 3 RG's with visible lines, including my new RG20th which has one visible line. You really have to look very close to see it, but it's there. The veneer is a good idea.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 08:13 AM

The wood construction lines are on alot of my ibanez guitars incluing a PGM and a 7 string none the less, you have to look really hard to the light to see them though; someone posted pics of a JEM7DBK ages ago and the body was in six pieces apparently, Tom.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 11:22 AM

I don't believe Ibanez would add an extra piece to a non-endorsee guitar to hide a seam. For a regular RG series guitar it's possible they might add a veneer to a guitar top if the other two pieces weren't thick enough, though. Pieces are usually added to get the guitar to the proper size spec, and no other reason. I think we've all seen or heard of guitars that were as many as 8 or 9 pieces. The 7VWH has the basswood veneer due to the paint, and no other reason.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:19 PM

I'm sure some-else started this thread
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:21 PM

My RG1527 had a very clear line down the middle, nothing at all on my Jem or my RG570 though.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM

I've stripped a few Ibanez bodies over the last couple of years and all of them had a front and back veneer - I guess they do it so they can be less fussy over the main pieces of wood that make up the body, but that's just an assumption.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serratus View Post
I've stripped a few Ibanez bodies over the last couple of years and all of them had a front and back veneer - I guess they do it so they can be less fussy over the main pieces of wood that make up the body, but that's just an assumption.
Rich, I assumed the same thing really - not a lot of other reasons to veneer a body other than hiding bad wood....

I didnt strip the wood on this one as I would rather make a new body from scratch than strip and sand

also, nice to see you still around Rich
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy7jem View Post
I'm sure some-else started this thread
hmmm... yes, thanks to Glen for changing my username.....

simply got fed up with a "username" and like to be a "real name"

hence - Jaden
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:05 AM

Re: Sounds like a daft question but... why veneer a 3 piece body - showing my ignoran

My 7vwh has visible lines too :s
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I don't believe Ibanez would add an extra piece to a non-endorsee guitar to hide a seam. For a regular RG series guitar it's possible they might add a veneer to a guitar top if the other two pieces weren't thick enough, though. Pieces are usually added to get the guitar to the proper size spec, and no other reason. I think we've all seen or heard of guitars that were as many as 8 or 9 pieces. The 7VWH has the basswood veneer due to the paint, and no other reason.
Purely guessing here, but maybe the Basswood core has some kind of flaw in it (a knot perhaps?) which would sink badly, hence a veneer to cover this - instinct tells me that it would be cheaper for Ibanez to simply junk such a body and move on to the next one, rather than going to the trouble of a veneer, so really I don't have a clue why they'd do this....
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 02:39 AM

My '87 RG550 has a very severe line on the bass side.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 05:19 AM

i've seen many Ibanez guitars now and all of them had 3 lines. i like it cause it seems like the wood's dried out and moved thru the years. never saw lines in guitars younger than 6 to 8 y.o.

Tags
ibanez guitars , jem vwh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode