Sparkle Blue Jem: evolutions ~> paf pros - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

Sparkle Blue Jem: evolutions ~> paf pros

I am of the opinion that the evolutions in the blue jem are way too hot. Any of you ever switch them out for paf pros? I'd like to get one of these but the pickups are holding me back. All input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Banned

i dont have a jem but i've tried one (7vsbl) in Sam Ash...
the EVO's sound great. but for me i like the Paf Pro's in my PGM300 better
however i've never tried Paf Pro's in a jem.
you can also download some audio samples from DiMarzio.com
listen to some early Mr.Big stuff (when Paul Gilbert was the guitarist) you'll get a good idea of the Paf Pro's sound
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:00 AM

Try replacing the neck Evo with a PAF pro first...you may be pleased with the results. The bridge PAF is a little 'soft' and you may want to keep the Evo where it is.

I just put a set of breeds (Neck & Bridge) in my RG550 - they sound really REALLY good. Lookingforward to receiving/installing a Red Velvet for the middle.

~K
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:53 AM
Banned

or try a Tone Zone in the bridge. KILLER TONE!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2004, 12:48 PM

I have a VWH and a VSBL and I think the VSBL is a little warmer. I am, however, considering making up a an alternate pre-wired pickguard with a PAF-po based setup.

Mike 777 Haug
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:44 AM

If you do try the PAFs in your VSBL, please post some before and after sound clips. I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself. I find the Evos just a little too over-the-top sometimes, and every now and then I pick up my junky RG470 just contrast that with the sorta browner, softer sound of the V7/V8. I'm not much of a tone guru yet, so I'm not really sure if that browner tone is due to more to the basswood body than the pickups. Also, my VSBL is still a fairly fresh chunk of wood, it may develop more brown-ness over the next year.

In any case, from what I've read, the Breeds sound like an interesting idea too.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe
Try replacing the neck Evo with a PAF pro first...you may be pleased with the results. The bridge PAF is a little 'soft' and you may want to keep the Evo where it is.

I just put a set of breeds (Neck & Bridge) in my RG550 - they sound really REALLY good. Lookingforward to receiving/installing a Red Velvet for the middle.

~K
Glad you got a set of Breeds and like them, makes all those clips worthwhile. I'm still addicted to mine, and I'll probably get a Breed neck to replace the PAF Pro in one of my other guitars..
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 07:25 AM

Alll the early 777 and 77 jems had Paf Pro's. it's my favorite pick-up for rock axes. You cant go wrong. The tone zone is great for the bridge too, try it with an Air Norton at the neck. Don't neglect that middble single!! try a Blue Velvet. A good single is great for cleaning up your guitar!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennydoe

~K
Glad you got a set of Breeds and like them, makes all those clips worthwhile. I'm still addicted to mine, and I'll probably get a Breed neck to replace the PAF Pro in one of my other guitars..
Yeah...thanks again for those clips.

I find the Breeds aptly named, as they seem to be a 'hybrid' between PAfPro and Evo. They have a little better clarity than both, IMO.

~K
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the replies. I have used an air norton before in the neck position in a different guitar and liked it. I asked about the paf pros because as someone mentioned all of the early jems came with them and they have a nice warm sound. Does the alder make that big of a difference?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-28-2004, 01:34 PM

Alder makes a huge difference. and the evolutions fit perferctly in it!
i would recomand Paf pros to Basswood, Mahogany and Kowa bodies.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 04:20 AM

Just use the volume and treble knobs...that's what they're there for...
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 06:30 AM

actually, the PAF Pro and Evolution have very very similar tone curves. And the PAF Pro is very slightly higher output than the evolution. All that will happen if you stick the PAF Pro in the 7VWH neck is that u'll get a slightly hotter pickup with much the same tone. Different story in the bridge though.

for the bridge, I've toyed with a FRED. however, I also found that using less presence than normal and lower levels of bass can make the bridge pup much more useful.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight
actually, the PAF Pro and Evolution have very very similar tone curves. And the PAF Pro is very slightly higher output than the evolution. All that will happen if you stick the PAF Pro in the 7VWH neck is that u'll get a slightly hotter pickup with much the same tone. Different story in the bridge though.
Interesting. Apparently then it is the alder that is making the difference, yes?
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-29-2004, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerolight
I think PAF pro has less output than EVO. Correct me if I am wrong. I am too lazy to check the dimarzio web site.

Tags
air norton , basswood body , bridge pup , neck evo , neck position , paf pro , paf pros , paul gilbert , sam ash , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode