Speaking of Screws Loose - ...i had a couple myself, last ni - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of Screws Loose - ...i had a couple myself, last ni

Keep in mind, this UV was set up recently by somebody i speak very highly of and respect.

I was doing stupid whammy bar tricks last week while practicing (unamplified) and I hear this *clunk*. *I coudln't figure out what it *was at first, but every time I would do a bar dive, it felt like it was getting caught on something - turned out the saddle on the high-E string pulled all the way forward and was knocking by the pickguard. *I pulled the saddle back and tightened up the screw.

Last night, the same thing happened on the G string (which, by the way, has been having a hard time staying in tune).

Another thing I noticed was that the shim underneath the nut was changing position. *I went to loosen the screw behind the nut and it was already loose! *i loosened it a little more and got the shim back to where it belongs. *

I can't say yet if my tuning problems have gone away, but I advise everyone to periodically check their nuts...and then their screws too.

~Kenny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 05:08 PM
Vendor

Speaking of Screws Loose

If it's more than a few years old, the tuner nuts and screws will need tightening, the nut screws will need tightening, and usually the neck screws. Almost never should you have to touch the metal to metal screws, but as wood shrinks it will loosen all the other points.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2001, 08:16 PM

Reviews: 1
Speaking of Screws Loose

I too have had to tighten the screws for the locking nut. In fact on my Brand new Rg7620 vk the screws to the saddles weren't snug, ultimately causing the intonation to go completely outta whack. And that was off the rack from a music store that SHOULD have set the thing up...and I paid too damn much for it...but thats another story.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 12:04 PM
rgr

Speaking of Screws Loose

If your saddles have moved, you intonation is now totally screwed too. *Sounds like it needs a complete setup again. *I would recommend learning how to do them yourself, it'll save you $50 or so every few months.

Roger
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of Screws Loose

I know it's going to be screwed up now. *I'm hoping that i'm within the 30 day warranty of the setup. *he'd probably do it for me anyway once he finds out what happened. *he'll know it wasn't my fault (i hope)

BTW, this guy get $80 a setup - ya believe that crap?
I know how to do a setup myself except for truss rod adjustment. *It's just a question of having the time and patience to do it. *Sometimes it's worth the $50

~Kenny
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 06:21 PM
rgr

Speaking of Screws Loose

Truss rod adjustments aren't that hard if you are patient. *If you loosen it the neck will bow more because of the tension of the strings, if you tighten it the rod will pull against the strings and straighten the neck. *You want a little bow (relief) in the neck, the way to check it is to hold down a string at the first fret and the 12th fret and see if there is a gap between the string and the fret in the middle, something like 1/32" or less. *

Important info; always use 1/4 turns or less on the truss rod unless you know what you are doing, then retune the guitar and let is set for a couple of hours to overnight to settle in before making more changes. *

I have turned rods more than 1/4 turn and made multiple adjustments in 30 minutes or so but I've done it enough to make pretty educated guesses. *

Roger
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2001, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Speaking of Screws Loose

I know how to do it in theory, but I don't have the eye to spot what i need to do

~Kenny

Tags
locking nut , music store , neck screws , rod adjustment , truss rod , truss rod adjustment , truss rod adjustments

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode