Speed: frets and neck finishes - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Speed: frets and neck finishes

Hi! I own a JS100, and i'm thinking of changing to a JS1000 or some other guitar, but i'm curious about something: i play very very fast on the JS100, wich i believe is mostly due to having learnt on a crappy Maison guitar..i used and abused it almost to the limits, and when i got the JS100 i realized that it was such a better guitar (better neck) that i could play it with much more ease.. so using a bad guitar made me over-skilled sort-of-saying..

So, after 3 years of JS100's medium frets i'm thinking of getting a real guitar with jumbo/warmoth frets.. are they much different than the medium's? will i notice a world of difference? I can't tell just by playng on the store.. it would take me some weeks to now if my playing got better or not..

Any insights?

By the way, is the neck finish on the JS1000 better? Or it's just the same arm, different frets?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 08:37 PM

i think the neck finish is the same... you will feel a difference between the frets, the jumbos are more comfortable... but i doubt you'll play much faster on a 1000 than on a 100.

same story here, btw... learnt 4 years on a crappy ~100Ä strat copy (action at 12th fret: like 1cm) and got amazed at the feel when i got my esp telecaster... same happened when i got my js90th

don't get another guitar if you're used to the js neck btw... you're spoiled and will never like any other neck as much as the js neck once you got used to it

only considerable guitar is a strat then, but even this neck feels a bit strange if you play js exclusively which i fortunately don't
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-24-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, it sure pays to now how to play in a crappy guitar.. makes you appreciate a lot of details in a good guitar.. most kids these days get a real expensive one to start with and never ger to understand WHY it's a good guitar..

Thanks for the advice, i'll see to my upgrade eh eh

Tags
medium frets , neck finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode