Spending the money the right way ... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Spending the money the right way ...

Hi all you JEM experts !

I am a huge Vai fan, and always wanted to own a JEM (not a 555, but like any of the others). Here's the situation : being a student I don't have that much money, mmmmh, but I managed to pick up a used (second hand) RG550 with a Di Marzio PAF PRO in bridge position (other pickups stock Ibanez). The guitar is in good condition, although the neck is slightly bent backwards. My question which of the two following options would you consider, and why ?

OPTION 1 :

- I buy a DiMarzio Evolution for the Bridge (keeping the PAF for the neck),
- I have the neck reajusted by a luthier,
- I have the fretts reworked on a little,
- I change the two knobs (tone and volume) that are falling off.

and therefore end up with a pretty decent guitar or :

OPTION 2 :

- I eventually try to resell that guitar,
- Save more money,
- Go for a used JEM ...

and have a real JEM ...

Well the point is, OPTION 2 might be actually more expensive than OPTION 1 and if I get a used JEM maybe I would still have money to send for neck and/or fret work to be done .... mmmh, on the other side is it worth spending money on my used RG550 ?

Any critical comments welcome,

cheers, folks

stephan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:45 AM

If you sell the 550, don't have work done on it before hand. I doubt you'll profit. I would get the work done, stick with the 550, and really learn. Then get a Jem when you feel you can really justify it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 11:38 AM

Some old "jem 777 dy" are really cheap... If you find one... Go for it... Having a jem neck is a great experience... the wizzard is too thin for me (it's only my opinion).
But, in a way, I agree with Globbits I used to learn playing guitar with the RG 450, and it was nice!

JS
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I am not exactly "learning" to play the guitar, I've been playing for ten years now. The thing is I own a Les Paul and a JS100 with Seymour Duncans (TB6 and Pearly Gates, awsome sound) so I don't really want to spend too much money on a third guitar. It's just that I like the Wizard neck and the Evolutions pickups.

The point is just how do I get a good guitar for the less money with what I am starting from right now, that I can use frequently, backup guitar and also different feeling then the JS and certainly the Gibson.

Max out the RG with Evos and get the few fixes done, or head for JEM ....

as far as the 777s are concerned, here in France they still sell for 1300 euros or more, second hand ... so that's not really an option ....

cheers

stephan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 12:54 PM

"Comment ça : merde alors?"... "But, alors, you are french"...

It' has already been said a lot in this forum but that is the truth... Ibanez jem guitar are really expensive anywhere in Europe... They are still cheap in the USA!!!

The best way I know to have your new ibanez axe is to click on the banner "ibanez rule" or click here : http://www.ibanezrules.com/index.htm(Bien sûr, tu devras payer des frais d'expédition mais c'est vraiment un gars bien)... Everyone knows that guy and you can trust him... My next buy will be with him.

If you live in Paris, there 3 jems waiting for you at almost the same price (10 000 francs = 1500 euros... moi je suis encore en pounds !) a pink one, a black one and a 77 fp...
Hope it will help!

Nice to find a french guy here!

JS
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Ouais, salut mon gars !

Je les connais bien ces trois JEM à California Music àPigalle, mais comme tu dis, 10 000 boulles pour une 777 rose (...) c'est quand même un peu excessif ... mais j'y suis passé l'autre jour, le vendeur était en train de s'éclater sur une Universe Multi Color Swirl !!!!!! Putain !!!!! Y doit pas y en avoir beaucoup !!!!!!! Enfin, tu vois le problème pour les JEMS en France ....

Pour Rich, c'est vrai qu'il a l'air bien, mais je me rend spa sbien compte : avec les taxes d'imporattions, les frais de port, l'assurance etc ... si ca va pas quand même me revejir trop cher ....

Anyway, sorry for the french, just nice meeting a buddy on the web, so, well, of course my dream would be a swirl multicolor PMC or GMC but till I could get one, especially in France I wonder if should stick money in my RG550 because like the evolution pickup (neck) would be around 100 euros, + the neck adjustment and fret work, let's say another 150 euros ... not sure if it's worth it .... maybe I should just wait until I get a fixed job with a salary, go to the US for holls and bring back a new JEM. The only thing is the JEMs I prefer are the old ones, the more "excentric" looking ones, I am not to found of the more "ascepitc" looking new ones ...

anyway, so how are JEM prices in the UK ? Are there some good JEMS to be found second hand, for a good price, because if that's the cause I could always come with the eurostar to London once ....

a+ mec

stephan
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 02:23 PM

If you want a jem that bad sell the korean made js 100 and rg 550 and buy the jem you want.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 04:02 PM

Just my opinion, but I'd mod the RG....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:11 PM
EKG

I say keep the 550 and mod it to your liking, especially if money is tight (If only I could practice what I preach :P ).
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 03:47 AM

Hello Stephan;
J'ai essayé de faire baisser le prix de la jem rose car elle est en vitrine depuis plus d'un an... Mais les vendeurs ne veulent rien savoir, en plus elle est en mauvaise condition (Elle a un micro bleu en position centrale... Elle a donc été modifiée... Ce que n'admet pas le vendeur) et je ne te raconte pas l'état de la jem noire (injouable action trop haute, en plus elle buzze, le vibrato bouge etc...
La fp dans le magasin d'en face a un manche "re"vernis ( donc non original et elle est chère!!!). Quelle tristesse!

But, anyway don't come in England to find some good price on jem. A jem vwh is about 1900£ = 3000 euros... But a second hand is about 1300£ = 2100 euros... Two month ago I fond a bfp for 400 £ but, as you can imagine, she has been already taken...
Good luck again and you're welcome in England... Just tell me when you wanna come ([email protected]) and I'll show you the best "jem spot" in London!
There's a lot of jem fan here in England and there's a "jemfest too... Every year you can bring your jem and play music with over jem lover's... I wasn't there in 2002 but I regret it.

See ya
JS
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-06-2002, 08:37 AM

i'd sell the les paul buy a jem and keep the 550, then you might have money left over to mod the snot out of the 550. but then again if i had a PRS right know i'd probably put a floyd rose on it and get a lighting graphic finish on it!

Tags
bridge position , dimarzio evo , dimarzio evolution , floyd rose , ibanez jem , jem neck , jem vwh , les paul , paf pro , playing guitar , seymour duncan , seymour duncans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode