The State of EVO - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

The State of EVO

Hey all,
In issue 12 Ausgust 2002 of GUITAR BUYER (a british mag) they put a great section about vai and some of his gear. It was pages long and has a pic of Vai and EVO.

Boy is that guitar gone through a lot. These days if you look at it you will find that most of the outer rim of the body has had most of its paint chipped of the corners. It also has lost its volume knob and is now replaced with a metal/chrome knob.

The neck looks good though, but i think this has been replaced numerous times. Also i have noticed that all of vai's hardware (bridge, tuners, the lot) is know BLACK.

Anyway I still bet it the greatest Jem ever made. So there you go people you don't have to stress out toooo much when you put your first ding or two into you brand new 7VWH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-03-2002, 11:59 PM

you sure it isnt cosmo hardware as usual . Post a pic. And dont say you dont have a scanner I know u know someone who does
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 12:17 AM

See? Why can't the American mags run cool features like that? Noooo.....they give us Blink 182 and Slipknot interviews.

I'll look for it at B&N...I've been having trouble once again locating G.T. but "Guitarist" is still available. Mabye I'll have a bit of luck in the UK mag search this month.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 06:57 AM
dex

There was a thread about this article a few months back.
In it Vai said that he is going to retire EVO, because it's all cracked and doesn't stay in tune anymore.

Do a search and you'll find it.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 07:32 AM

Thanks Dex but I want the pics, too. I want the whole thing!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 09:28 AM

Me too.
Anyone got the mag and a scanner?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:32 AM
dex

Here's the complete thing.
Enjoy.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

In fact Guitar Buyer even put Website of the month (page 24) as guess who????

www.jemsite.com

On a page totally unrelated to vai and the jems they put "you better have a look at this. It's a fan fun site with more information of Jem and Universe guitars than you could possibly imagine. Specs, dodels, years, numbers, plus hundreds upon hundreds of images, details and coutless other stuff".

Not bad hey jemsite.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:23 AM

That Evo and Steve pic looks like the same one from the Fire Strings poster:

http://www.vai.com/images/news_and_m...ings_large.jpg

Gabe
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Here's the complete thing.
Enjoy.
Thanks!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 11:43 AM

Thanks Dex!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:27 PM

that new Evo neck really looks gorgeous...too bad the body looks like roadkill nowadays...this axe really ranks high in my guitar mythology that's for certain It should be set in unbreakable crystal or something...and put where we can see it...for a shrine.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff l
See? Why can't the American mags run cool features like that? Noooo.....they give us Blink 182 and Slipknot interviews.

I'll look for it at B&N...I've been having trouble once again locating G.T. but "Guitarist" is still available. Mabye I'll have a bit of luck in the UK mag search this month.
I know man. All guitar world has is like Mushroom head, and Boxcar Racer. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. The only time i see Vai is in ads!!! And don't even get me started on Paul Gilbert's amount of press!!! I wish I could read Japanese so I could get young guitar. sigh
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetLethalX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff l

I know man. All guitar world has is like Mushroom head, and Boxcar Racer. Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. The only time i see Vai is in ads!!! And don't even get me started on Paul Gilbert's amount of press!!! I wish I could read Japanese so I could get young guitar. sigh
NO @#[email protected]!! what's up with everything going to japan?! don't get me started on these "record execs" thinking they know what's good for sales. i hate how they limit everything and play what we should hear. screw that.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-13-2002, 09:50 AM

Is Japan really that guitar crazy then? I can't really see it. Any Japanese members here can tell us what it's like to be the luckiest guitar country in the world?

I think Steve should put EVO in a glass case, and we can all quietly and respectfully file past her like Lenin in the Kremlin.

Tags
cosmo hardware , paul gilbert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode