Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve Vai - Art Show and Painted guitars Dec 7 - Jan 4

7K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  brett8388 
#1 ·
Hey folks, it's ben a while since I posted here, but have some interesting news to share if you're in the Los Angeles area:

To celebrate Steve Vai's solo art show featuring art prints and painted guitars, at Fathom Gallery in Los Angeles, CA (on view from Dec 7 - Jan 4, 2020), Steve and Ibanez are making a limited number of special replicas (3 each) of three of Steve's Art Guitars available to order at the gallery.

Two of the three guitars pictured below. The replicas are visually the same, however will not have a sustainer installed, or a scalloped board.

In addition, Steve will hand-augment the back of the guitar with additional artwork.

Steve's guitars and artwork will be on view from December 7 to January 4. Art and guitar replica purchasing inquiries can be made through the gallery.

Fathom Gallery 12227 Wilshire Blvd. Los Angeles, CA 90025

On view: December 7 - January 4, 2020
Artist Reception: December 14, 7-10pm
https://www.fathom.gallery/

See less See more
#10 ·
Just out of interest, does the maple fret-board have the scalloping on all frets or just 21-24. The last time I played a full length scalloped board was an Yngwie Strat back in '92, I really don't like the baseball bat necks on the Strats, so I wasn't sold on the idea. I'm very intrigued to find out how a thinner Jem neck would feel with full length scalloping like the rosewood one.

Initially when I saw Steve doing this artwork I wasn't very drawn to it (pun intended), but his latest stuff is actually quite compelling. His style has definitely matured and has a more unique feel to it. Kind of reminds me of Reg Mombassa's early work. I really like the 'no thinking and no self criticism' philosophy to his art, I'm going to try and use that mindset for creative works moving forward.

#23 ·
If I read well, those are Premium ! with standard electronics :

"The Special Edition Art Guitars are equipped with the standard Ibanez Jem pickup configuration of DiMarzio Evolution Neck and Bridge pickups, and there is no fretboard scalloping. Apart from this difference in electronics, the guitars will be visually the same. All three guitars use the Ibanez Jem7VP as the basis of the guitar"

#26 ·
Maybe I'm odd man out, but I love Steve's art, the music theory book was the first place I saw it, and I'd prefer one of these JEMs over any other JEM ever released. Not because they are so exclusive, but because I really dig the artwork. I'd actually hang his art in my house. (and I'm not a fanboy who owns multiple JEMs and Vai is my favorite player... I own 0 JEMs and Vai IS one of my favorites...)

#30 ·
Quote from Fathom Gallery site:

“HOW ARE THE EDITION GUITARS DIFFERENT TO STEVE'S?

Steve's personal stage guitars are customized with Sustainer/Sustainiac pickups in the neck position, and in some cases, the fretboard is scalloped. The Special Edition Art Guitars are equipped with the standard Ibanez Jem pickup configuration of DiMarzio Evolution Neck and Bridge pickups, and there is no fretboard scalloping. Apart from this difference in electronics, the guitars will be visually the same. All three guitars use the Ibanez Jem7VP as the basis of the guitar. These guitars are then repainted and customized to include Steve's art on the front of the body and the headstock, with custom clear pickguard and cavity covers.

WHEN WILL MY GUITAR BE READY?

The guitars will not be produced until the exhibition is finished. Expect a production time of 15 weeks. You will be kept updated on the build progress on your guitar along the way. Once finished, Steve will augment the guitar with additional artwork by hand. He can sign and/or dedicate the guitar if you wish.”

Are the 7VP’s (Premiums) made in Indonesia?

Also, only an assumption on my part, but I think the “Perfect Pitch” neck (the maple board) may use a PBFP neck as the basis.

#35 ·
There are no Jems made in Korea. The last Jem to be made in Korea was the 'budget' Jem555. Production ceased in 2008 and moved to Indonesia.

As of 2020 all Jems are made in Indonesia. They are no longer made in Japan, as Pia production is underway there..

The Red & Yellow guitars appears to be based on a 7VP and the Blue guitar appears to be a 7VP body with a 77P-BFP neck.

#40 ·
There are no Jems made in Korea. The last Jem to be made in Korea was the 'budget' Jem555. Production ceased in 2008 and moved to Indonesia.

As of 2020 all Jems are made in Indonesia. They are no longer made in Japan, as Pia production is underway there..

The Red & Yellow guitars appears to be based on a 7VP and the Blue guitar appears to be a 7VP body with a 77P-BFP neck.
You're right. In my mind, korea, indonesia, same thing. For $7k and an expression of art these should be Japanese FGN made. I was ready to pull trigger and was taken aback by this and ultimately decided to pass. Poor judgement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.