Steve Vai doesnt use the Uv777bk 99 - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Steve Vai doesnt use the Uv777bk 99

I havent seen steve vai with the guitar in a concert or anything just in the ibanez.com and thats it what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:06 PM

He hasn't used one in concert yet (that I know of), but he uses one on the "7th Heaven" video, and probably records with it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 01:10 PM
nvn

Hmm, any specific reason you mention the year? Anyway, to answer your question...I don't "think" much of it at all. I'm completely in love with that instrument and mr Vai may play it as much or little as he likes - it's still a result of his cooperation with Ibanez, as well as it's a remarkable guitar. I have an old UV7BK from '90 as well and the difference between the two are incredible (imho). I remember reading somewhere (it might have been on the Ibanez site in fact) that Vai was asked the question "How much do you use the 7-string?" and he replied "I use it a little here and there on all my records" (or something like that, not sure I remember the exact words). If I was to comment on how much he uses a certain guitar, I would just say that I'm fully convinced that he's capable of choosing the right tool for the job, so to speak.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvn
If I was to comment on how much he uses a certain guitar, I would just say that I'm fully convinced that he's capable of choosing the right tool for the job, so to speak.
lolol, classic dude.

The reason you never see Vai with a 7 in concert is because he hasn't been playing much 7-string of late. If he ever chooses to play it frequently again, i have a feeling we'll be seeing more of it. In fact, i hope we do.

-Drew
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:17 PM

There is this GREAT video of him Demoing the 777BK I grabbed off of
Kazaa. It's just him flaunting the use of the 7th string as a droning base
note...kinda like Hendrix used to do.

I would pay money for that whole damn video!

It looks like it's got a lot of good Ibanez players on it...so I'm assuming
it's an Ibanez promo video.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 05:35 PM

yes it's an ibanez promo called 'seventh heaven'. the petrucci clip is on kazaa too.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 07:03 PM

actually, vai gave his only uv777pbk to the manager of his website i think, or was it billy sheehan... i dunno. but i dont think he uses it anymore because he doesn't have it. he did promote it largely in the ultra zone music book. he might have recorded with it. but as far as steve and 7 strings go, he doesnt seem to use them in concert anymore for some unknown reason.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2002, 08:52 PM

Quote:
actually, vai gave his only uv777pbk to the manager of his website i think
Yeah i think you're right dude...i've read somewhere that he gave it to Richard Pike for his birthday or something...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:42 AM

well, I 've seen setlists on different websites and see songs off PAW that require a UV, but can't see why he doesn't use one...For example, The Audience is Listening is on the setlist, (I'm not sure about this) but he doesn't use a UV....same with FTLOG.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheresthebeef
but as far as steve and 7 strings go, he doesnt seem to use them in concert anymore for some unknown reason.
The reason is it became too expensive to haul around that many guitars. And yeah, it would've made sense to ditch the 6s, since they're covered by the 7s, but c'mon, EVO!!
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:02 AM

i think stevie can afford to carry some axes......i believe he just prefers the 6 now, plain and simple.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 09:11 AM

One observation: The last few tours he's had two additional guitars backing him up on stage. As with FTLOG, "Erotic Nightmares" is a regular concert staple (recorded with a 7string I think?) and the absence of the 7 was not an issue for the performance, in part anyway because of Mike (and Tony) and Dave's contribution. It seems though that he's just so attached to his main axes now. Which I think is great. Personally the reason I'd like to hear him play the Universe in concert again is because I'm considering getting one for the first time.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 12:14 PM

It's no longer in Steve's possession as you guys mentioned. It is owned by Rich Pike now and I was lucky enough to play/fondle that very guitar. Still had the paint spots on it from the photo shoot for the UZ cover.

Another cool reason to come to Jemfest - cool guitars!

Here's a pic of it with Bill and Kevan up in the hotel room in Las Vegas.

http://www.vai.com/News/jemfest/pic03.html

Gabe
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 01:21 PM

I think when "using the right tool for the job" was mentioned-that just about summed it up right there. In the 1992-93 Ibanez catalog Vai talks about how he didn't use the Universe on some of the songs (PAW) but when he recorded "Slip of The Tongue"-that was entirely 7-string. I read another article somewhere where Vai mentions that there was one song on "Slip of the Tongue" that wasn't recorded with a 7-string. I THINK it was "Cheap and Nasty" but I'm not positive.

Mike 777 Haug
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-15-2002, 07:25 PM

I'm jealous Gabe!!!!

Tags
billy sheehan , bob oakman , ibanez catalog , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode