Steve Vai and Ibanez NAMM 2020 PIA Release Party Videos - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

7Likes
  • 3 Post By Tejaus
  • 2 Post By Tejaus
  • 1 Post By Tejaus
  • 1 Post By Tejaus

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Steve Vai and Ibanez NAMM 2020 PIA Release Party Videos

I thought I would share my experience with Thomas installing a set of Tone Vise keyless nut locks on EVO for Vai's Ibanez PIA party at NAMM this year. I met Thomas at the HOB earlier before the show and we went to his workstation off to the side of the stage to do the install on EVO. You can also see in the picture a custom set of brass keyless tremolo locks I made to be installed later on a PIA. I actually got to play FLO for a bit too.

Here are some links to some videos showing Steve playing EVO later at the party.

A huge thank you to Thomas Nordegg for making this happen. Pretty awesome experience to say the least!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200118_131714 reduced 75.jpg (428.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 20200118_132400 reduced 75.jpg (372.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by Tejaus; 02-07-2020 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 12:29 AM

Re: Steve Vai and Ibanez NAMM 2020 PIA Release Party Videos

Ok, so you got me to bite to check out your product. Not sure I like the aesthetics of the knob handles, but the idea of being able to instantly unlock to tune with the main tuning keys does have great appeal.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:29 AM

Some observations:
- The audio and video for these YouTube videos were done on an iPhone 11 according to the caption. If no other hardware was used, that is really impressive.
- Dave Weiner was the glue that held the show together. This is more apparent in some of the later clips where he organizes the guest guitarist side of the stage while playing, pressing other player's pedals, etc... He also happens to be the only guitarist not playing an Ibanez and the only one playing a 7 string...
- I'm glad Nita Strauss was there. If she were not there it would have been old guys on one side of the stage and kids on the other. She bridged that gap while Dave held everything together.

To the OP, what did you think of FLO?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 03:46 AM

This part's my fav. What could be better than a Vai/Gilbert "Midnight" jam?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Ok, so you got me to bite to check out your product. Not sure I like the aesthetics of the knob handles, but the idea of being able to instantly unlock to tune with the main tuning keys does have great appeal.
Well as they say, form follows function. These are a lot shorter than the original prototypes I made. I discussed this with Floyd Rose, he thought they should be longer but I found it isn't necessary to clamp down. People used to say Floyd tremolos were ugly too.

Believe me it makes all the difference in the world being able to unlock and lock without a hex key. Compared to the flip up types mine are much easier to use since they rotate instead. So you don't have to hold the guitar at an awkward angle to unlock them.

I say they look better than looking like this when you can't find a hex key unlock your guitar on stage.

Satchel guitar clinic.
jim777 and The TPS Report like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejaus View Post
Well as they say, form follows function. These are a lot shorter than the original prototypes I made. I discussed this with Floyd Rose, he thought they should be longer but I found it isn't necessary to clamp down. People used to say Floyd tremolos were ugly too.

Believe me it makes all the difference in the world being able to unlock and lock without a hex key. Compared to the flip up types mine are much easier to use since they rotate instead.
Give you props for the entrepreneurship. As I said, they aren’t good looking, but will admit been thinking to myself this morning how awesome it would be to easily unlock those. So many times where you’ve pushed the fine tuners to their limit, but still need a bit more to get a Floyd/Edge in tune quickly.

ETA: you need to go on Shark Tank and try to sell the concept to Mr. Wonderful.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
Some observations:
- The audio and video for these YouTube videos were done on an iPhone 11 according to the caption. If no other hardware was used, that is really impressive.
- Dave Weiner was the glue that held the show together. This is more apparent in some of the later clips where he organizes the guest guitarist side of the stage while playing, pressing other player's pedals, etc... He also happens to be the only guitarist not playing an Ibanez and the only one playing a 7 string...
- I'm glad Nita Strauss was there. If she were not there it would have been old guys on one side of the stage and kids on the other. She bridged that gap while Dave held everything together.

To the OP, what did you think of FLO?
Yeah, I'm glad someone with a better phone than I had took these videos. I actually just retired my old Galaxy Note 3 with a LG V40 because the Galaxy was just awful for taking pictures or videos. There was a cameraman onstage so hopefully Ibanez will release that footage sometime.

Yep, Dave played great as well as the others. It was a fun show for sure.

As far as FLO I was surprised how high the action was on it. Thomas had replaced the tuner button knobs with some round knurled volume Tele knobs that worked really well. Another one of his creative inventions. I'd post a picture of the guitars but the forum won't let me post more.
The TPS Report likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2020, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The TPS Report View Post
Give you props for the entrepreneurship. As I said, they arenít good looking, but will admit been thinking to myself this morning how awesome it would be to easily unlock those. So many times where youíve pushed the fine tuners to their limit, but still need a bit more to get a Floyd/Edge in tune quickly.

ETA: you need to go on Shark Tank and try to sell the concept to Mr. Wonderful.
Thanks! It's been a lot of work to say the least. I have products too on the market with more coming out. I think I may start advertising on Jemsite if the owners call me back.

Yep about the fine tuners. Steve's pink PIA went out of tune and Thomas brought him a hex key to unlock it, Steve gave up and handed the guitar to Thomas.

I have other pros using them too. Bill Leverty of Firehouse and Vic Johnson with Sammy Hagar.

I thought about going on Shark Tank. I know MR. Wonderful likes guitars.
The TPS Report likes this.

Tags
evo , namm , nordegg , pia , tone vise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode