Steve Vai pickup question... - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Steve Vai pickup question...

I wanted to see if anyone knew which neck pickup is in Steve Vai's guitar that has the Sustainer in it?

THANX in advance.

Scott

Last edited by RNRCRAZYKNIGHT; 06-14-2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spelling error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 12:52 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: Steve Vai pickup question...

That guitar is FLO isn't it?

I would think it's a DiMarzio Evolution pickup like all the other JEM7VWH's, unless I'm missing something big and the sustainer is part of the pickup!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 12:57 AM

Reviews: 7

Flo has the sustainer. The sustainer is the pickup. http://www.fernandesguitars.com/susproducts.html
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Dummy me realized that after I started doing a little digging. I guess I should do a little homework before I ask. I'm used to the Sustainiac.

How does the Fernandes Sustainer sound as a pickup? There is not a Fernandes dealer where I live.

Scott
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 02:27 AM

Reviews: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNRCRAZYKNIGHT View Post
Dummy me realized that after I started doing a little digging. I guess I should do a little homework before I ask. I'm used to the Sustainiac.

How does the Fernandes Sustainer sound as a pickup? There is not a Fernandes dealer where I live.

Scott
....... I have never played a guitar with a fernandes sustainer, but you can find songs where Vai, uses it such as whispering a prayer.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 AM

The sustainer isnt a pickup. It only sustains. If you have one you cant have a neck pickup.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 11:25 AM

the sustainer is a pickup and works like a normal neck pickup when the sustainer is switched off vai uses the single coil version and has a dummy pickup next to it to fill the humbucker spacing but i assure you the sustainer itself acts like a normal pickup when the toggle is set to neck position and the sustainer is inactive
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizzt75 View Post
the sustainer is a pickup and works like a normal neck pickup when the sustainer is switched off vai uses the single coil version and has a dummy pickup next to it to fill the humbucker spacing but i assure you the sustainer itself acts like a normal pickup when the toggle is set to neck position and the sustainer is inactive
Only the humbucker sized sustainer is a pickup. The single coil driver is not a pickup, but if you put it in a humbucker cavity you can put a single coil sized pickup in next to it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 04:04 AM

Reviews: 1

Uh oh... here we go again...

Tags
steve vai pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode