Steve Vai's Root Beer JEM prototype to be auctioned at Julien's - Jemsite
Ibanez JEM, UV, JS & Other Signature Models For discussion of Ibanez JEM, Universe and JS (Satriani) guitars only.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Steve Vai's Root Beer JEM prototype to be auctioned at Julien's

Julien's Auctions has one coming up on December 6 & 7, 2013 called "Icons and Idols: Rock 'N Roll." Lots of cool guitars in the auction, but Jemsiters will be most interested in Lot 336, the root beer JEM prototype (no others exist) owned and played by Vai on stage with Whitesnake and in the studio.

Here's a link to the guitar's page:
http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...%2F%3Fpage%3D7

This auction really doesn't have a theme; lots of artists are represented by lots of stuff, from Elvis Presley's limo to Lady Gaga's costume. Jerry Garcia's guitar is already up to $110K.

As a Julien's customer, I was impressed by their service and their shipping procedures. I highly recommend this auction house. Besides attending the live auction, you can register as an online bidder or as a phone bidder. If you are a phone bidder, a representative will call you and take your bids in a dedicated phone conversation. Julien's Live features a live internet stream with interactive bidding. Fantastic experience buying from them . . . and this reminds me, I never made a NGD thread!

Anyway, I hope this JEM goes to one of us Jemsiters! Happy bidding . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:20 AM

Re: Steve Vai's Root Beer JEM prototype to be auctioned at Julien's

Going to be bidding on this if some of my gear sells fast enough.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Talking Re: Steve Vai's Root Beer JEM prototype to be auctioned at Julien's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthtastic View Post
Going to be bidding on this if some of my gear sells fast enough.
And, should you win, it'll be appearing in the classifieds shortly thereafter!
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Vendor

IMO there is nothing prototype about that RB. As for Juliens, if you think $250 to pack and ship a guitar in the US is impressive from that pompous a$$hat "art pack" operation they use, or the 2 weeks it takes them to do it, the only thing impressive is they don't get a flood of complaints about being bent over like that with no lube.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
IMO there is nothing prototype about that RB. As for Juliens, if you think $250 to pack and ship a guitar in the US is impressive from that pompous a$$hat "art pack" operation they use, or the 2 weeks it takes them to do it, the only thing impressive is they don't get a flood of complaints about being bent over like that with no lube.
Who is the bigger fool?
The packer, or the pakee? That is the question!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
IMO there is nothing prototype about that RB.
Steve Vai himself describes it that way, the only RB prototype, in a signed letter from him that accompanies the guitar.

Quote:
As for Juliens, if you think $250 to pack and ship a guitar in the US is impressive from that pompous a$$hat "art pack" operation they use, or the 2 weeks it takes them to do it, the only thing impressive is they don't get a flood of complaints about being bent over like that with no lube.
My experience only . . .

Shipping and insurance for my guitar was $112 from Beverly Hills to New Hampshire (which I thought was reasonable). They said it would take anywhere from 2-12 weeks (which I didn't really like), but the auction had nearly nine hundred items and many of them were shipped all over the world, so I figured I'd cut them a little slack. I received the guitar 33 days after the end of the auction, very well-packed.

Everybody at Julien's answered my questions via phone and email promptly and politely. They treated me like a high-roller although I clearly wasn't. Overall, I was very satisfied.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
Steve Vai himself describes it that way, the only RB prototype, in a signed letter from him that accompanies the guitar.
I can read, I can also investigate myself.

Listed as Rootbeer JEM on vai.com

Listed as Rootbeer JEM Prototype

The guitar being sold at Juliens

Is the first guitar listed on vai.com as Rootbeer JEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikey Mikey View Post
My experience only . . .

Shipping and insurance for my guitar was $112 from Beverly Hills to New Hampshire (which I thought was reasonable). They said it would take anywhere from 2-12 weeks (which I didn't really like), but the auction had nearly nine hundred items and many of them were shipped all over the world, so I figured I'd cut them a little slack. I received the guitar 33 days after the end of the auction, very well-packed.

Everybody at Julien's answered my questions via phone and email promptly and politely. They treated me like a high-roller although I clearly wasn't. Overall, I was very satisfied.
I was wrong, I looked it up, My quote from ArtPACK

Processing/Packing/Ground Shipping $225.00

I called them and told them they were crazy, he said he has no idea what I make but he makes $250/hour and wouldn't think of working for any less [the pompous a$$hat]. I talked him into just PACKING the guitar for $100 [ridiculous] and sent him an email UPS label.
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Vendor

Although now I look at them, it does look like it has the LACS dots which are a little bigger than Fujigen, and the one listed as Prototype has much smaller dots than either LACS or Fujigen.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Vendor

Just to elaborate, I'm critical on what is actually called a prototype and what is a prototype.

ie. This is a prototype JS2400

See how much different the lower cutaway and horn is

You can also see the typical larger dots LACS uses [or Bensalem years before like the RB]. Those alone just make it LACS production, nothing prototype about the larger inlays.

A prototype is a work in progress and exhibits differences from what the end production version is. A last version prototype that ends up being the same as the production I have a difficult time calling a prototype. But then whatever Steve calls it is what it's always going to be known as no matter what my take on it

BTW, that's the one I bought at Juliens with the bend over and bleed pack and shipping quote.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I was wrong, I looked it up, My quote from ArtPACK . . .
Quote:
the only thing impressive is they don't get a flood of complaints . . .
Ha, I looked up my correspondence too, and I actually did complain (mildly) about the shipping time. They said they handled it in the order that people paid their invoices. Julien's in-house shipping department handled my guitar; I didn't deal with any outsourced shipper. That guy does sound like a jerk for sure.

Quote:
I can read, I can also investigate myself. . . .
I see what you mean. It would be nice to have a shot of the back of the headstock.

Quote:
Just to elaborate, I'm critical on what is actually called a prototype and what is a prototype.
. . .
A last version prototype that ends up being the same as the production I have a difficult time calling a prototype. But then whatever Steve calls it is what it's always going to be known as no matter what my take on it . . .
I'd agree. Who knows? Maybe Vai is confused; he's owned hundreds of guitars over the decades. And Julien's is pretty good, but far from perfect; they made some glaring mistakes in the Les Paul auction that I caught, noob as I am.

Really interesting that your JS has an LA serial with a Japan neckplate.

Quote:
See how much different the lower cutaway and horn is
Um, that kinda looks like a JS in an RG case. And doesn't the 24-fret model have a different shape anyway?

Peace

Mike
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Vendor

Everything from the Idols and Icons auction went to Artpack. If it was Juliens and I was quoted $112 I would have happily just paid it. I'm used to getting overcharged a little for packing, but when I get bent over expect me to squeal.

The neck is definitely Bensalem made, see the logo on the tip of the head, I think it says [or did] Steve Vai [like I have a Joe Satriani], but it just doesn't meet prototype standards to me. Not that I'm the end all be all. I have a "supposed" JPM "prototype", which is how Ibanez and JP described it, that I wouldn't even consider a JP

There are no LA plates anymore so they have a batch of MIJ plates they use on his builds, or any other plate joint builds. And Joe's guitars are usually in whatever case LA [or Bensalem] had around it would fit in.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:01 PM

There are two #1 serial Ibanez jems selling on "that auction site" right now. A PMC and a GMC. Are those legit protos?

They sure are priced that way...Look 'em up they should be easy to find.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-28-2013, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
. . . A PMC and a GMC. Are those legit protos? . . .
Found them. JEAPSON is also a member of this site, gotta be the same guy.

I don't know the back story of these guitars. But they seem to be just like any other swirl; these are just the ones featured in the catalog photos.

Peace

Mike
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 12:28 AM

Man, that PMC from the catalog was my all time favorite swirl. It's a shame to see how much it's faded. The pink is all but gone. Doesn't look so great now.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 08:49 AM

Yeah, that's the thing that just kills the old PMC's and UVMC's for me. The pink just looks awful today. Interesting that both of those guitars have an Ibanez neck plate rather than a Jem one.

Both of those guitars are amazing. That GMC is definitely my favorite. I love mine (and lots of people say how much they like it) but the catalog guitar was always my favorite. The close ups of the PMC are amazing. I can't imagine what it would be like if Darren had swirled it today with his newer paints? Every time someone says that someone else's swirls are as good as Darren's, I know that they've never seen an ATD in person.

Tags
auction , julien's , prototype , root beer , steve vai owned

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode